Sponsored by:

Coochas.com being asked to shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Coochas.com being asked to shut down

Well, I've always heard the stories about people being threatened by Porsche for infiringement, and now I'm one of those people.

Porsche sent me a polite but demanding letter today stating that my Coochas logo is an infringement of trademark and more importantly that they want me to remove my vintage brochure collection from the website. I understand that my logo could upset them, although let's be serious, it's pretty funny!

Removing my brochure collection is very distressing to me. I have poured so much love and enthusiasm into those brochures and now Porsche is asking me not to share them. I've never asked for any donations with my site and everything has always been free. These old brochures are hard to find and are not available for purchase from Porsche. I understand their need to protect copyrights and trademarks but they clearly do not care about their enthusiasts. This has probably come with their success as a mass marketer now.

My enthusiasm for Porsche has suddenly been shot down. I never thought I would say this in my lifetime but I am now questioning my allegiance to the brand.

I know that many people will simply read this and say, "Well he obviously infringed on trademarks and copyrights,....too bad." I also know from the magnitude of emails and compliments that I've received over the years that there is a pretty decent following on my site. The site recently went over 250,000 page hits and I'm proud of that.

I will hang on to my Coochas name and website address but my guess is that it will no longer host Porsche content other than my own cars and track activities.

I am in the process of writing a note which I will place on the homepage so that people will know what has happened to the site. This is what I am thinking about writing. I would appreciate any comments on it:

Dear Friends,

Porsche has asked me to stop using my Coochas logo depicting a cat with the Porsche crest in the background.
Unfortunately, Porsche has also demanded me to remove my vintage brochure collection from my site. My intentions have always been simply to share my love and enthusiasm of Porsche with fellow enthusiasts. I have received over 1000 emails over the years from people who have enjoyed browsing my brochure collection. I am deeply saddened that Porsche cannot understand that my site is purely an expression of enthusiasm for their brand. I would like to believe that a company with such a rich motorsports heritage would embrace a site celebrating its historic models.

Last edited by Coochas; 10-04-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 PM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very sad news. There's a big difference between true enthusiasts such as yourself who simply want to share something cool with fellow enthusiasts and opportunists that simply want to make a buck via unlicensed use of logos etc...

An Atom or one of the new Lotus offerings might make for a very tasty change of pace...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's too bad. I really enjoyed the material you compiled in your site. Like you said that's just the result of someone being enthusiastically devoted to the brand, I can't think of better marketing for any company. The problem is with these big corporations, run by "technical" burocrats that know nothing about passion... Nobody can blame you if you decide to move over to another brand, It'll be their loss...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I saw there for the first time the 901 brochure !

Bad attitude from Porsche toward a true enthusiast
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Very Sad!

I think that if you right a reply letter and explain exactly what this site is all about and also agree to remove all Porsche logos and trademarks then maybe they ’ll let you keep the brochures on air. Besides you have a strong point that you don't charge for them anything. Also maybe if you made them be non downloadable as pdfs and use some other way to show them that could help too.
I hope you figure a way to keep them.

John

PS. Dear Porsche/ or VW? enthusiasts made you what you are today. Respect that fact and treat as accordingly or...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lig
That is very sad news. There's a big difference between true enthusiasts such as yourself who simply want to share something cool with fellow enthusiasts and opportunists that simply want to make a buck via unlicensed use of logos etc...

An Atom or one of the new Lotus offerings might make for a very tasty change of pace...
The Loti are great too!
Originally Posted by rickmdz
That's too bad. I really enjoyed the material you compiled in your site. Like you said that's just the result of someone being enthusiastically devoted to the brand, I can't think of better marketing for any company. The problem is with these big corporations, run by "technical" burocrats that know nothing about passion... Nobody can blame you if you decide to move over to another brand, It'll be their loss...
Thanks and I agree with your points.
Originally Posted by 964C4
I saw there for the first time the 901 brochure !

Bad attitude from Porsche toward a true enthusiast
I do love that 901 brochure and AFAIK the one that I have with "Model changed to 911" will be lost from existence if I pull it from the web. It is a piece of 'their' history that they most likely do not even have!
Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Very Sad!

I think that if you right a reply letter and explain exactly what this site is all about and also agree to remove all Porsche logos and trademarks then maybe they ’ll let you keep the brochures on air. Besides you have a strong point that you don't charge for them anything. Also maybe if you made them be non downloadable as pdfs and use some other way to show them that could help too.
I hope you figure a way to keep them.

John

PS. Dear Porsche/ or VW? WE made you what you are today. Respect that fact and threat as accordingly or f*ck off.
I've thought about writing a polite letter explaining my POV but I have a high suspicion that it will be fruitless. The letter I received from them explicitly talks about the brochures. How can I convince someone in their legal department who is almost certainly not a p-car enthusiast?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with your assessment of Porsche's treatment of enthusiasts and questioning continued loyalty to the brand. Completely different circumstances here, same outcome.

I expect more from Porsche, but I'm feeling lately like we're getting a lot less. Not saying any other car company is any better, but then they mostly don't get Porsche's premium nor trumpet heritage and loyalty in the same way P does.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I really think you need to contact customer relations or whoever you can - I don't believe that they don't care about the cars or enthusiasts. You just got 'hold of the wrong bonehead, but I can't believe that's it. Did this come from PCNA or PAG?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:54 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Wonder who you pissed off enough to report your site. Sounds like BS to me.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

The letter is from PCNA.
Perhaps I should write them a letter explaining my view.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

I would be very careful about posting that letter on your website. Who knows right? You certainly dont need trouble in your life.

I do understand them protecting their logo's - just as others do. Ferrari, In n out, etc. However, I dont understand why they would harrass you about brochures. I would take down the logo's etc. and write them as to what is wrong with sharing info? You seem like a real enthusiast - they should help you maintain your enthusiasm. Thats what has created passion for Porsche.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Dave, I checked out your website for the first time. It really is quite nice. I hope common sense by PCNA prevails.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need to publish this far and wide. What are their actual damages if you are not selling anything or benefitting from these materials in any way? I think PCNA is stupid for doing this. I would have to guess that if you removed the Porsche crest from your logo -- and published far and wide the exact nature of the situation in a neutral (read: non-nasty) fashion -- that PCNA would back down. Perhaps some sort of online petition, comprised mostly of signatures from Porsche owners, might convince PCNA that they were on the wrong path regarding P.R. and customer loyalty...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give them a call and inquire about the permission fees required to use the materials. The fees might be quite reasonable---or perhaps not. Still worth a shot.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you should and can fight this!

There has been many examples of big corps going after small players for supposed trademark infringments to lose the argument in courts, or at least in public eye, which results in more damage for the brand.

For the first time I came across your site and I can just say, GREAT WORK! I hope you can keep it up, and fight the lawyers... just know you got all of our support. I'd at least start with a petition, I am sure Rennlisters all will sign to show enthusiast support for you!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Coochas.com being asked to shut down