Sponsored by:

Coochas.com being asked to shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

What a shame.

DEFINITELY GO TO PCA. You may want to reach out to Excellence as well. Porsche has some very overzealous attorneys and this is not the first time something like this has happened.

I wish you the very best of luck.

BTW don't EVER buy Monster Cable products. You think Porsche is litigous??? They're small change compared to those guys.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coochas, great site.

Hopefully PCNA gets their head on straight and the brochures/etc get to stay up, because you've assembled a great resource for Porsche lovers!

Last edited by cbzzoom; 10-07-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dave,

I love your site! It reminds me of why I love my _orsche in the first place! And I agree with Dr. No, I am glad the 'hello kitty' people aren't on you *ss! Why do they not see the inherent value in your website? They certainly do NOT have anything like yours! I am assuming they a just jealous!
Thank you again for your love of the brand and your quest to have some history in one place!
Keep up the good work!

Jen
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, they're relentless on their enthuiasts ... over the years they just never roll over.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I saw this down the street and thought of you Dave
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I saw this down the street and thought of you Dave
Obviously a classy establishment!

Thanks again everyone for your support. I am going to start by writing to PCNA and if that doesn't work then I will try some of the alternatives suggested in this thread. Cats have 9 lives so I must hope that my site will as well.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dave, love your sight. I'd be inclined to leave the sight as there is no financial damage done to Porsche nor is there any slander or profit from leaving up the old brochures. I'm not a lawyer be think the worst case scenario is that they spend some money to get a judgement that forces you to remove the material. I can't believe they'd be that stupid.

This has definitely put a negative thought on how I feel about the brand.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Anyone with a member that long should have some influence!
Old 10-09-2010, 04:45 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I'm not a lawyer be think the worst case scenario is that they spend some money to get a judgement that forces you to remove the material. I can't believe they'd be that stupid.
I think they've already proven that they are. Check the link below. That poor guy probably doesn't have much time left as a free man.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-Model-Br...ht_1337wt_1141
Old 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Anyone with a member that long should have some influence!
Quoted for truth. Keep "up" the good fight, Dave. If you need a petition, I can think of a hundred or so right here to help you out...
Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were such an a*****e in that turbo thread that I find it hard to sympathize with you.

Karma is a bitch.

Last edited by ltc; 10-13-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think they've already proven that they are. Check the link below. That poor guy probably doesn't have much time left as a free man.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-Model-Br...ht_1337wt_1141
You don't get it. My wife, an attorney, has related to me stories about brand protection that are hard to really understand to to a layman. It's all about $$$$ - and the enthusiasts may be a small part of profits. PCNA and the VW parent are not going to be significantly hurt, from a financial perspective if they annoy a few enthusiasts. They (the Corporation) owe a fiduciary obligation to the shareholders and the brand, as they understand it, is of crucial importance. There' may be a policy that says, "protect the brand," and it is unfortunate that little people get sucked up in that mandate but, at the end of the day it's business. The Law isn't fair and it doesn't have to make sense but if I had a lot of money invested in VW, I'd probaly be happy that the attorneys had my interests ($$$) in mind. The fact that I'm also an enthusiast is at odds - I may not like what they are doing but I can appreciate that they do have, somewhere deep down, my financial interest at heart.

Sorry to be contrary. Perhaps age has jaded me to believe that it really is all about the money - I'd love, absolutely love, to be proven wrong!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
You don't get it. My wife, an attorney, has related to me stories about brand protection that are hard to really understand to to a layman. It's all about $$$$ - and the enthusiasts may be a small part of profits. PCNA and the VW parent are not going to be significantly hurt, from a financial perspective if they annoy a few enthusiasts. They (the Corporation) owe a fiduciary obligation to the shareholders and the brand, as they understand it, is of crucial importance. There' may be a policy that says, "protect the brand," and it is unfortunate that little people get sucked up in that mandate but, at the end of the day it's business. The Law isn't fair and it doesn't have to make sense but if I had a lot of money invested in VW, I'd probaly be happy that the attorneys had my interests ($$$) in mind. The fact that I'm also an enthusiast is at odds - I may not like what they are doing but I can appreciate that they do have, somewhere deep down, my financial interest at heart.

Sorry to be contrary. Perhaps age has jaded me to believe that it really is all about the money - I'd love, absolutely love, to be proven wrong!
I don't get what? I understand everything you say about brand protection but I don't see you address how an enthusiast posting photographs of decade old Porsche memorabilia on his website hurts the brand. He's not selling anything Porsche related for profit, he's certainly not slandering the brand but is instead promoting the brand, giving up his own free time (and money) and doing it all at no cost to Porsche.

So what is it that I don't get with respect to brand protection in this case? I admit I don't get how guys like you don't seem bothered in the least that this kind of nonsense is even addressed by lawyers who are ultimately paid by brand loyalists but I sense you're after something different. Like....."they're the experts and they know what's best for us so why argue"? The p-cat logo is a separate issue btw. but wasn't treated as a separate issue by these morons.

My impression is that you're the submissive type who always think those who speak with authority on a subject you're not familiar with are always right. I don't mind being proven wrong either so your turn now.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some companies are d*cks about this kind of stuff and some are not. I am not debating whether they have the legal right to do this stuff because they do but it has more to do with over looking nonsense like this and realize what enthusiasts bring to the table.

Porsche, Ford and a number of other companies have a reputation for being tough about this. I have seen many web sites that have had to change their names because of this crap.

They need to get over themselves and lighten up. They are so concerned about brand dilution and some little guy using their precious logo. Like you are going to damage the reputation of a multi billion dollar company. They can do that all by themselves.

Get a grip, how about stop making stuff that is not in the spirit of the company ala the Cayenne. I love how they link the Cayenne to their past racing success. The key word here is PAST.

Unless you want to get into a pissing contest with them, just take the stuff down and put the brochures out on the Net somewhere like Renntech. Frankly its not worth the hassle.

PS. BTW, before any starts pointing fingers at VW, VW/Audi actively support many of the VW/Audi web sites with factory brochures, photos, documents and more. Witness vwvortex, fourtitude, audiworld and more. VW at least realizes what the enthusiasts bring to the table unlike Porsche.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are tough tough tough on this stuff - a group exists looking for these things...

Quick Reply: Coochas.com being asked to shut down