machina
Racer

Default Porsche to F1 ? or maybe vw

what think?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/01/r...-to-formula-1/
Old 10-01-2010 | 08:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I'm skeptical, given the enormous amount of cash required for F1 involvement. But I'd love to see Porsche back at the top level of racing; if Audi is going to get LeMans, then F1 would be an interesting fall back position!
Old 10-01-2010 | 08:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Maybe... but due to the fact that it takes TREMENDOUS effort and finances to be on top of the game, it'd be risky! Imagine the *negative* marketing of Porsche F1 cars finishing last (very likely for new entrant), while Ferrari, and Mercedes (through McLaren) finishing up on the podium?

Only possible way is to get em buy one of the top contenders... maybe Redbull Porsche?
Old 10-01-2010 | 08:59 PM
cbzzoom

Would be awesome if it happens. I'd love to see Porsche in more high end racing.
Old 10-01-2010 | 09:07 PM
cbzzoom

The actual quote is not very decisive :

“With LMP1, there are two classes and two brands – Audi and Porsche. We do not like to both go into LMP1 [against each other]; that is not so funny.

“So therefore we have to discuss whether it makes better sense for one of the [two] brands to go into LMP1, and the other brand into Formula 1. So we will have a round-table to discuss the pros and cons.”
Old 10-01-2010 | 09:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I would prefer to see factory teams to compete in Le Mans and other endurance races. That has long been Porsche's domain. Ferrari is different - il Commendatore sole objective in producing road cars was to finance his F1 team.

Little of Ferrari F1 effort shows up in their road cars. A lot of Porsche's racing efforts do appear in their road cars.
Old 10-01-2010 | 09:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Little of Ferrari F1 effort shows up in their road cars. A lot of Porsche's racing efforts do appear in their road cars.
That's basically false! A lot of Ferrari technologies trickle down to their road cars, albeit, not as fast as one hopes! I believe the biggest reason is the COST of the F1 technologies.
Old 10-01-2010 | 09:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
That's basically false! A lot of Ferrari technologies trickle down to their road cars, albeit, not as fast as one hopes! I believe the biggest reason is the COST of the F1 technologies.
I would appreciate learning what F-cars have gotten directly from Ferrari's F1 program that other marques like Porsche or Audi have not gotten.
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I would appreciate learning what F-cars have gotten directly from Ferrari's F1 program that other marques like Porsche or Audi have not gotten.
Not gonna list everything, but I believe F1 style shifting was FIRST introduced in F430 before anyone saw those on an Audi or Porsche.

Not PDK, but in some respects better, and definitely best at the time of introduction. I did a few laps in F430 a few years ago, and I can tell you it was one SWEET car, with incredible accuracy, great up/down shifts, and the best exhaust note I've ever heard INSIDE a car!
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Not gonna list everything, but I believe F1 style shifting was FIRST introduced in F430 before anyone saw those on an Audi or Porsche.

Not PDK, but in some respects better, and definitely best at the time of introduction. I did a few laps in F430 a few years ago, and I can tell you it was one SWEET car, with incredible accuracy, great up/down shifts, and the best exhaust note I've ever heard INSIDE a car!
Paddle shifters have been around for a long time. Remember tiptronic? and do not fret on buttons vs paddles, that's just a GUI detail.

PAG developed dual clutch transmissions in the 80s well before Ferrari had any auto/manual trannies in their race cars.

My statement stands. It is well known and documented - Il Commendatore maintained road car production solely to finance his F1 hobby. Recently, with Luca di Montezemolo, the sports car effort has benefited more from motor racing, but not any more than any other major sports car marque.

F1 is a special club, but it long lost its meaning as a development crib for road cars. Sure it's still there but far more remote than 40/50 years ago.
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Paddle shifters have been around for a long time. Remember tiptronic? and do not fret on buttons vs paddles, that's just a GUI detail.

PAG developed dual clutch transmissions in the 80s well before Ferrari had any auto/manual trannies in their race cars.
COME ON! I know how much of a Porsche fanboy you are... but you can't just contradict yourself that quickly and not even notice it!

You said, NAME a race technology that Ferrari introduced in their ROAD cars that were NOT introduced by Porsche/Audi... and I gave you an example which WAS in a Ferrari road car BEFORE it was in a Porsche! Porsche inventing something doesn't mean you have it in your car now does it? Ferrari has invented way too many more technologies NOT introduced in their road cars!

My statement stands. It is well known and documented - Il Commendatore maintained road car production solely to finance his F1 hobby. Recently, with Luca di Montezemolo, the sports car effort has benefited more from motor racing, but not any more than any other major sports car marque.

F1 is a special club, but it long lost its meaning as a development crib for road cars. Sure it's still there but far more remote than 40/50 years ago.
Fine, you don't wanna admit Porsche lost its edge in the late 80s, early 90s, that's fine... althought I agree with Ferrari statement, specially for older Ferraris it was meant to fund their racing, which to me is just fine! Doesn't change the fact that they make GREAT road cars TODAY.
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I remember one time when Porsche entered F1 racing. Used two 911 engines. One to pull and the other to push. It didn't work out well at all. Perhaps they can do better.
Old 10-01-2010 | 10:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Alex: I am no fanboy of PAG or anyone. Haven't you noticed my criticism of the 991 design?

And no, I have not contradicted myself. The F430 is a relatively recent F-car. Its paddle-shifting was not the first. Others had paddles well before the 430 was born. Heck, tiptronic has been around since the 90s.

Again, educate me on which F1 technologies first appeared on Ferrari road cars that were not available in other cars, and not only Porsches.

BTW... I am a fan of Ferrari's F1 team. I loved it when Schumi was king, Kimi won the championship and this year with Alonso.

PAG may go into F1 but I rather see them committed to endurance racing, the true soul of these cars.
Old 10-01-2010 | 11:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Just like to see you ONCE, admit it when you're wrong!

Ferrari technologies used in F1 in late 90s and early 2000 in their road cars, was way ahead of what Porsche used in their road cars, and that's a fact. I didn't say they invented it, but DID introduce it before Porsche, and that was your question below

That's all... I appreciate BOTH cars today, and if I have the funds would have had one each in the garage!

Back at original topic... I highly doubt Porsche has the expertise to jump into F1 and compete with Ferrari and the like... if they entered, they probably would do partially partnering up with a successful team such as Red Bull!
Old 10-01-2010 | 11:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Just like to see you ONCE, admit it when you're wrong!
I readily admit when I am wrong. I hereby state that if the new 991 retains the same 'go-kart' dynamics the 997 has, in spite of its longer wheelbase, I will admit that I was wrong in my prediction that the new car will be less 'go-kart'.

I am still waiting for the list of F1-inspired items introduced in F-road cars that others did not have.

Quick Reply: Porsche to F1 ? or maybe vw