Sponsored by:

Porsche to F1 ? or maybe vw

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I readily admit when I am wrong. I hereby state that if the new 991 retains the same 'go-kart' dynamics the 997 has, in spite of its longer wheelbase, I will admit that I was wrong in my prediction that the new car will be less 'go-kart'.

I am still waiting for the list of F1-inspired items introduced in F-road cars that others did not have.
LOL... I certainly hope 991 is as good!

Read above, and do NOT change your own words... you said "Porsche/Audi" did NOT introduce in their road cars... and paddle shifters was introduced in Ferrari long before Porsche/Audi and it was trickled down from F1! and PLEASE... do NOT tell me Tiptronic was the same!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...l_transmission

The most famous application of a sequential transmission on road-cars would be their use in some Ferraris since the late-nineties, beginning with the F355 F1. Their system, the most current version of which is called "F1-Superfast," with shift times of 60 ms[1] is designed to serve as a link to their Formula One efforts....
Finally, Volkswagen Group (parent owner of Lamborghini) introduced a sequential transmission to the Lamborghini Gallardo (E gear), and then adding it to the Audi R8 (R tronic).
Ferrari F355
However, in 1997, the Berlinetta was the first ever road car to be equipped with the innovative F1-style gearbox management system. Derived directly from Formula 1, where it made its debut in 1989 winning the Brazilian Grand Prix, the electro-hydraulic system was operated by paddles behind the steering wheel using the F355’s conventional 6-speed manual gearbox. The new transmission guaranteed lightning-quick gear changes, with the additional advantage that both the driver’s hands could stay on the wheel at all times.
So, Ferrari introduced sequentical gearbox in 1997, Audi did it in R8 in 2007!

Are you gonna admit you're wrong now!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
LOL... I certainly hope 991 is as good!

Read above, and do NOT change your own words... you said "Porsche/Audi" did NOT introduce in their road cars... and paddle shifters was introduced in Ferrari long before Porsche/Audi and it was trickled down from F1! and PLEASE... do NOT tell me Tiptronic was the same!
Yes, same thing. Tiptronic is sequential gear change with switches on the steering wheel. I am still waiting to see when you admit ONCE that you are wrong.

FYI... the sequential F1-tranny you loud is not a very good transmission. Just ask Ferrari owners.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, Ferrari introduced sequentical gearbox in 1997, Audi did it in R8 in 2007!

Are you gonna admit you're wrong now!
No, Tip was earlier.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

No, Tip was earlier.
...maybe you're just mis-informed!

Tiptronic uses torque converter... it's JUST an Automatic transmission! Here's for your education:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

Although tiptronic transmissions allow the driver a certain measure of discrete control, the tiptronic design is implemented using a torque converter like other automatic transmissions

Last edited by alexb76; 10-02-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Tiptronic is sequential gear change with switches on the steering wheel. I am still waiting to see when you admit ONCE that you are wrong.
Comparing any F-car F1 transmission to Tiptronic is akin to comparing PDK to an automatic tranny with paddles. What a poor comparison you decided to plant your flag on.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:13 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Comparing any F-car F1 transmission to Tiptronic is akin to comparing PDK to an automatic tranny with paddles. What a poor comparison you decided to plant your flag on.
I am not comparing the Tiptronic to Ferrari's F1-tranny from a performance perspective. I simply said that they embody the same UI, and that the Tiptronic was the first to do that.

We all know that from a shifting performance perspective the F1 is very fast, very efficient. But it is no more than an electro-hydraulically-actuated single clutch sequential, and a brutal one at that, with horrible reliability. Just ask any Ferrari owner.

If one wants to say that the the F1-tranny was the first road car implementation of a, Tiptronic-like, high-performance transmission, I agree with that.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:08 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

I am not comparing the Tiptronic to Ferrari's F1-tranny from a performance perspective. I simply said that they embody the same UI, and that the Tiptronic was the first to do that.
So you're saying they're similar because they have controls on the steering wheel? THAT is your technology transfer from F1?

We all know that from a shifting performance perspective the F1 is very fast, very efficient. But it is no more than an electro-hydraulically-actuated single clutch sequential, and a brutal one at that, with horrible reliability. Just ask any Ferrari owner.
Does a tiptronic transmission have a torque converter?
Does a F1 gearbox have a torque converter?
Is a tiptronic transmission "electro-hydraulically-actuated"?

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohydraulic_manual_transmission[COLOR="Red"
]Electrohydraulic manual transmission is a type of semi-automatic transmission system, which uses an automated clutch[/COLOR] unlike conventional manual transmissions where the driver operates the clutch. The clutch is controlled by electronic computers and hydraulics. To change gears, the driver selects the desired gear with the transmission shift lever, and the system automatically operates the clutch and throttle to match revs and engage the clutch again. Also, many such transmissions operate in sequential mode where the driver can only upshift or downshift by one gear at a time.

Depending on the implementation, some computer-controlled electrohydraulic manual transmissions will automatically shift gears at the right points (like an automatic transmission), while others require the driver to manually select the gear even when the engine is at the redline. Despite superficial similarity, clutchless manual transmission differ significantly in internal operation and driver's 'feel' from manumatics, the latter of which is an automatic transmission (automatics use a torque converter instead of clutch to manage the link between the transmission and the wheels) with ability to signal shifts manually.
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
A conventional manual transmission is frequently the base equipment in a car, with the option being an automated transmission such as a conventional automatic, manumatic, semi-automatic, or CVT. The ability to shift gears manually, often via paddle shifters, can also be found on certain automated transmissions (manumatics such as Tiptronic), semi-automatics (BMW SMG), and continuous variable transmissions (CVTs) (such as Lineartronic).
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission
Transmission types

Manual

* Sequential manual
* Non-synchronous

Automatic

* Manumatic

Semi-automatic

* Electrohydraulic
* Dual clutch
* Saxomat
* Zeroshift

Continuously variable
Bicycle gearing

* Derailleur gears
* Hub gears
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic
Manumatic is a portmanteau word, combining the words manual and automatic, that applies to a class of automotive transmissions.

Manumatic most often refers to an automatic transmission, with some elements of manual transmission control (e.g. a gear can be manually selected instead of having the computer control all shifts). This type of transmission was introduced in the final decade of the 20th century. Different car manufacturers have been using a variety of labels for their manumatic transmissions, such as 'tiptronic', 'Geartronic', 'Touchshift', 'Sporttronic', and others.

Like a manumatic, many modern semi-automatic transmissions can operate in the same manner as a conventional type of automatic transmission by allowing the transmission's computer to automatically change gear, if for example the driver was redlining the engine. Despite superficial similarity, manumatics differ significantly in internal operation and driver's "feel" from semi-automatic transmissions. A manumatic, like a standard automatic transmission, uses a torque converter instead of clutch to manage the link between the engine and transmission - and therefore the roadwheels, though a manumatic has the ability to command shifts manually which is not found on a regular automatic.
Granted, Wikipedia is not the end-all/be-all answer to factual information in the world, but it would seem at least one other person out there thinks you're dead wrong.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:16 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I give up. Logic is lost in this forum. Read my posts and please do not misrepresent them.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:21 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saying the tiptronic is a f1 derived tranny is a joke, but with that aside it will be nice to see porsche in f1 althought mclaren will always be my favorite team. In the past, honda has used more f1 tech that trickled down to consumer road cars.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:27 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Where did I say that Tiptronic was F1-derived? Please humor me.

I said that the F1-tranny and the Tip have the same UI and that that UI was introduced by PAG many years before Ferrari did. That is what I said. And it is no big deal.

If you think F-cars are F1-derived so be it, but I do not think so. Only the Scuderia was tuned with inputs from Schumi, so I give you that, the Scud has F1 team influences.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:28 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In any case I think it's pretty clear that the Le Mans series directly translates into road car gains much more so than F1.

I mean the R8 race car development pretty much directly turned into a great road car. The Porsche GT3 cars obviously benefit from all the real race testing they get (sadly our cars, not so much).
Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
In any case I think it's pretty clear that the Le Mans series directly translates into road car gains much more so than F1.

I mean the R8 race car development pretty much directly turned into a great road car. The Porsche GT3 cars obviously benefit from all the real race testing they get (sadly our cars, not so much).
We are finally on-topic and I wholeheartedly agree you.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

great, sell more chayennes, banana pamameras, and rajin cajuns to finance f1.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I remember one time when Porsche entered F1 racing. Used two 911 engines. One to pull and the other to push. It didn't work out well at all. Perhaps they can do better.
OTOH, there were the Constructor titles in '84 and '85 and Driver championships in '84 to '86 where the McClaren Tag-Porsche turbos did very well. Hopefully that's a better template for future efforts.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I really want to see Porsche back with a full works factory team at Le Mans where they belong. They've been gone too long, since winning in '98.

Porsche races now via customer programs, but it's not the same. ALMS isn't at the top tier of the world stage. F1 certainly is, but past Porsche attempts have been dismal, even their failed Indy attempt was a sad footnote. The TAG-Porsche McLaren championships of Lauda and Prost in the '80s were the only real success.

But rather than sit on the sidelines, Porsche needs to be back at the top tier of the world motor racing scene - either Endurance or F1. If paired with a top team, it would be nice to see them have a go at F1 again. They can't sit on their heritage forever, their last Le Mans win in '98 will soon be as ancient as their first win in '70.

Quick Reply: Porsche to F1 ? or maybe vw