Sponsored by:

Porsche to F1 ? or maybe vw

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 AM
ChiefEntertainmentOfficer
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I give up. Logic is lost in this forum. Read my posts and please do not misrepresent them.
"Where is my nugget when i need him??!!"
Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I give up. Logic is lost in this forum. Read my posts and please do not misrepresent them.
It's hard to misrepresent you when we can quote you. It's generally easier to just say "I was wrong" than to try and defend a factually inaccurate point. However, you never owned up to it on the SC issue either - you just pretended you never said what you said and hoped it would go away.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:46 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

While I would love to see more Porsche factory teams in the different series, I'm just happy to see them competing and winning at all.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
It's hard to misrepresent you when we can quote you. It's generally easier to just say "I was wrong" than to try and defend a factually inaccurate point. However, you never owned up to it on the SC issue either - you just pretended you never said what you said and hoped it would go away.

If you want to 'win' at all cost go ahead. My position in both issues is there to be read and I stand by it. BTW, SC affects PASM, no doubt about it. I am here to learn and help others. For some these forums seems to be a pissing contest.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:21 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

That the concept of 'winning' even comes to mind for you says a lot.

I have helped, and continue to help, as many people as I can. I just stick to facts I can prove. That's where we differ.

You say SC affects PASM; Porsche says you are wrong. I'm sure folks can figure out who to believe.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gravedgr
That the concept of 'winning' even comes to mind for you says a lot.

I have helped, and continue to help, as many people as I can. I just stick to facts I can prove. That's where we differ.

You say SC affects PASM; Porsche says you are wrong. I'm sure folks can figure out who to believe.
Actually, I think you could both ease off on eachother a tad: on the one hand SC does influence PASM as anyone can tell just by switching SC off when in PASM Normal mode (the Porsche brochure even tells you how and why) and, on the other, Adias, your knowledge and enthusiasm does you great credit but, on this occasion, you should back down and recognise that Ferrari introduced more than just a GUI, as you call it, with their F1 gearbox. It's a fundamentally different transmission to the torque converting tiptronic.

Hey, nobody's perfect. Saturday night. Have a beer.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Intriguing if PAG decided to jump into F1, especially given the speculation that 2013 cars could be running both Turbos and ground effects. Such might be a semi viable entry point for a new manufacturer....
Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I really want to see Porsche back with a full works factory team at Le Mans where they belong. They've been gone too long, since winning in '98.

Porsche races now via customer programs, but it's not the same. ALMS isn't at the top tier of the world stage. F1 certainly is, but past Porsche attempts have been dismal, even their failed Indy attempt was a sad footnote. The TAG-Porsche McLaren championships of Lauda and Prost in the '80s were the only real success.

But rather than sit on the sidelines, Porsche needs to be back at the top tier of the world motor racing scene - either Endurance or F1. If paired with a top team, it would be nice to see them have a go at F1 again. They can't sit on their heritage forever, their last Le Mans win in '98 will soon be as ancient as their first win in '70.
I'd be great for Porsche to be back in F1, but I actually love to see another series of racing... I want Targa Florio BACK!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targa_Florio

When I was at Porsche mueseum, it really put chills on my spine, seeing some footage of it, that was one HELL of a racing, with cars very close to road car specs.

I know it's a pipe dream and it's never gonna happen... but oh boy do I miss the times (mostly before I was born) when auto racing was pure fun and about fan enthusiasm instead of pure sponsorship, TV rating, and financial gains.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

What is SC? Sport Chrono? Anyway, isn't all this in the apparently decorative owner's manual, that goes mostly unread. I don't even have PASM on my car, but my manual says that if I did, it would switch to sport mode via the PASM button or the Sport (Sport Chrono..SC?) button. Is that was this is about?

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
...as anyone can tell just by switching SC off when in PASM Normal mode...
And then there's that - seems like it would be/should be something you'd notice?

Must have been another semantics debate - otherwise how could anyone have been wrong?

I should have gotten an "S" - way more cool buttons and gadgets the more I read about it. Although I don't know about the extra HP - my car already can scare the crap out of me compared to the fun little Boxster loaner I had the other day. But I do like gadgets. So quit talking about 'em and bumming me out.

Hey, nobody's perfect. Saturday night. Have a beer.
Now, we're talkin'!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by stevepow
What is SC? Sport Chrono? Anyway, isn't all this in the apparently decorative owner's manual, that goes mostly unread. I don't even have PASM on my car, but my manual says that if I did, it would switch to sport mode via the PASM button or the Sport (Sport Chrono..SC?) button. Is that was this is about?

And then there's that - seems like it would be/should be something you'd notice?

Must have been another semantics debate - otherwise how could anyone have been wrong?
Yes, that was a whole other debate.

Hope everyone had a good Saturday night

Last edited by Betternotbigger; 10-03-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:42 PM
cbzzoom

on the one hand SC does influence PASM as anyone can tell just by switching SC off when in PASM Normal mode (the Porsche brochure even tells you how and why)
Well yes that's technically true, but all SC does is turn PASM Normal/Sport on/off which you can do with the PASM button manually. SC doesn't add anything to PASM, it just ties the function you already had to the Sport button.

There's absolutely no reason to get SC on a 6MT car. If you want the throttle remap you can just buy a Sprint Booster which even comes with multiple selectable modes now.

Personally I wish all the things that "Sport" affected were seperate toggle switches, then you could get in and flip your switches like starting up an airplane.

(and yes I know SC affects PSM, but you can just turn it off)
Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Well yes that's technically true, but all SC does is turn PASM Normal/Sport on/off which you can do with the PASM button manually. SC doesn't add anything to PASM, it just ties the function you already had to the Sport button.

There's absolutely no reason to get SC on a 6MT car. If you want the throttle remap you can just buy a Sprint Booster which even comes with multiple selectable modes now.

Personally I wish all the things that "Sport" affected were seperate toggle switches, then you could get in and flip your switches like starting up an airplane.

(and yes I know SC affects PSM, but you can just turn it off)
I'm afraid you haven't been paying attention

Try the following: Switch SC on, PASM goes to Sport, now switch PASM back to Normal and drive along for a hundred yards to get the feel of it, then switch SC off. Obviously PASM just stays in Normal but feel how the suspension relaxes. SC on + PASM Normal is a mid point between SC off + PASM Normal and PASM Sport. And it so happens that this midpoint is a sweet spot in the 911 suspension setup that provides the best overall driving experience. All IMHO of course. Try it and report back.

The throttle map by contrast is all smoke and mirrors - doesn't do much for me.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Come on folks, SC/PASM is way off topic for this thread. I'd like to see the discussion get back on track to the topic of F1 or at least Porsche's racing involvement.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm afraid you haven't been paying attention

Try the following: Switch SC on, PASM goes to Sport, now switch PASM back to Normal and drive along for a hundred yards to get the feel of it, then switch SC off. Obviously PASM just stays in Normal but feel how the suspension relaxes. SC on + PASM Normal is a mid point between SC off + PASM Normal and PASM Sport. And it so happens that this midpoint is a sweet spot in the 911 suspension setup that provides the best overall driving experience. All IMHO of course. Try it and report back.

The throttle map by contrast is all smoke and mirrors - doesn't do much for me.
Definitely NOT the case for 997.1, not sure about .2. SC without PASM on (in addition to throttle response change), just changes the PSM (stability control) to kick in LATER than usual. It does NOTHING to suspension.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I did not want to derail the F1 conversation with a SC debate, so I will only say 2 quick things:

1) Better - I agree with Alex and Cbz, and apparently so does the owners manual. I understand it is hard to rationalize what your mind and "butt dyno" tell you about the various settings, but they appear to be inconflict with published manufacturer info.

2) There is no fight between Adias and myself. I dislike his know-it-all attitude, but really don't care if he helps folks. It's when he states something inaccurate as fact that bothers me. I don't care about who is right/wrong or "winning". I care about being able to help folks with accurate, factual info. If you want my opinion I'll give it, but I never confuse the two.

So with regard to both of those, if someone can show where Porsche says SC has any effect on PASM I will gladly agree with you and pass the info along. Until then, it's simply not true matter how many people think they "feel" something.

Quick Reply: Porsche to F1 ? or maybe vw