Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 997 currently ship anywhere in the world with a spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:25 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Goop in a can is a crap shoot - no good for sidewalls or any serious damage.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Goop in a can is a crap shoot - no good for sidewalls or any serious damage.
Then you call Porsche to come tow your car! This is such a non-issue, I rather not comment on it anymore!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM
fleury-jr
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Brazil one of the laws about selling vehicles states that every new vehicle available has to have a spare tire...unless it is a vehicle's feature not to have it (such as a MB Smart)...Don't know about other sports cars, but every porsche sold here has that spare with the red colored wheel.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Then you call Porsche to come tow your car! This is such a non-issue, I rather not comment on it anymore!
May I make a comment?

I carry a spare. I don't like the idea of my whole day being effed up because I'm driving an unreliable car. Pull over, jack car, put on spare, drive away. Might even still make it on time to the meeting you were driving to.

OTOH, Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for the replacement tire to be shipped might require these accommodations (shown below).

Hummmm..., while staying there it might be a good place to smoke some of that crack cocaine and see what all the fuss is about.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
One guy posted on here (or maybe 6speed) - he was from Guatemala and his 997.2 had a factory spare in the frunk complete with a securing bolt through the center - it sat upright against the back side of the frunk. So there are cars made that way - too bad it is not an option for US.
It's me and here is the link:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...cs-inside.html
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I regularly drive to from NYC to Boston to Chicago and everywhere in between. I've also been in areas that don't have mobile service.

I carry a spare for a few reasons:
-tire goop will not fix a rip in the tire.

- when your mobile doesn't work, porsche service does not respond to yelling unless they're within ~200 yards

-I have a ducati as well and I've sat on the roadside in the rain for 2 hours waiting for Ducati service even in the NYC area. When the service crews are busy you could be waiting for some time.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I regularly drive to from NYC to Boston to Chicago and everywhere in between. I've also been in areas that don't have mobile service.

I carry a spare for a few reasons:
-tire goop will not fix a rip in the tire.

- when your mobile doesn't work, porsche service does not respond to yelling unless they're within ~200 yards

-I have a ducati as well and I've sat on the roadside in the rain for 2 hours waiting for Ducati service even in the NYC area. When the service crews are busy you could be waiting for some time.
Honestly, if you're that worried about flat tires, and you drive through areas that do NOT have mobile coverage, you're driving the wrong car. Maybe get a nice Audi S4 Avant, and carry an extra spare!

As I said, I got stuck with a flat tire TRACKING a few hundred miles away from home in another country and I managed to be ok with the tire goop. For 95% of the users, flat tires, specially rips on the sidewall is so rare, it's a non-issue.

PS. Maybe you need to change your cell phone carrier instead?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, if you're that worried about flat tires... you're driving the wrong car. Maybe get a nice...
993?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a personal choice. I have a "control freak" issue I guess: I don't want my day ruined because of a flat!

I don't want to rely on "Porsche Roadside Service" which is really "ANYBODY Roadside service."

Since I'm HWP I'm not concerned with the extra weight of the spare.

I AM concerned about DEPENDING on other people to rescue me from the crummy breakdown margin of a lonely rural highway or interstate.

No biggie. Fun to debate though. It's about convenience.

Lemme add: This is good! A guy in the office just commented why we shouldn't trust the tow truck operator, "What if the roadside assistance contractor is a Porsche hater? Maybe he'll take his sweet time to make the [rich Porsche owner] wait." Yes, it's a bit paranoid but not totally insane.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Honestly, WHO CARES!

I got a flat tire TRACKING in Portland Raceway, in midst of a MAJOR STORM, and managed to use the supplied flat tire kit to seal the rear tire, drive around for another day before heading back (300 miles), and didn't fix it for another week. NO issues, not even lost one PSI during that time.

I rather go through the RARE trouble of fixing a flat than carrying the extra weight of a spare!
Cool. What was the cause of the flat?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Cool. What was the cause of the flat?
A long screw, the kind used for fixing drywall! right smack in the middle of the tread, left rear tire.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]Look at this. Slime won't fix this. I waited 3 hours for a flatbed. Boy do I wish I had a spare. http://i55.tinypic.com/1pwgmq.jpg
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

another one[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

anyone know where I can buy a new Carrera Classic? 19"
Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sweeper
anyone know where I can buy a new Carrera Classic? 19"
Wheel enhancements. Or try sunciadt they might have some take offs.

Quick Reply: Does the 997 currently ship anywhere in the world with a spare tire?