Sponsored by:

Help me spec my GTS-

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Help me spec my GTS-

I've been away from 997's for a couple years and a lot has happened since I left. I had a 997 launch car then a 997 turbo but never heard of the 997.2, SPASM and who knows what else, so missed out on all that. After driving a few different cars, new and old, I ordered a new Boxster Spyder and got in July. Wonderful car and I love it but I'm only comfortable driving it on weekends; not an ideal DD for me. Before I got the Spyder I saw a rumor thread about the GTS and called me dealer and got on the 'list'. Now that I've seen the marketing, I think it will be more practical for me and I get the first one whenever it's available.

Coupe vs Cab- the purists here will recommend the coupe. My wife thinks that if I get the coupe, I need to keep the Spyder. The fiscally responsibly side of me thinks that if I get the Cab then I have one less car to take care of and maybe kill 2 birds with one stone... don't want to get into a coupe vs cab thread, just where I'm coming from.

Centerlock wheels- I thought that was the coolest thing I ever saw since the old Jag days. Does it define the car? I would prefer the lug nut Fuchs Sport Classics and I think it would look better but I prefer cars cars that look the way they were designed and original. From a practical standpoint, are the centerlocks a PITA? There's no spare anyway so if you get a flat and your goop in a can doesn't work it's a flatbed anyway. If it's ordered with the 5 lug wheels, the Fuchs are an easy switch.

Sport chrono- with PDK, it's a must but I'm getting a manual 6 speed. For me, it's more about the fun. My E92 M3 had the DCT and it was way faster than the 6spd but, after a while, became boring. So with the GTS 6 speed, do I need the sport chrono? I hate the wart and it's no faster- does it change suspension settings with PASM. Which brings up another ?

Is SPASM available with the cab? I think my Spyder is the same height as the ROW -20mm SPASM and I scrape occasionally but not to the point of hurting anything.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

I appreciate your input.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:58 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Amazing how great Porsche marketing is... announced not even for a week and it's creating a buzz and order.

Having said that, GTS is THE ONLY TIME, I felt I need to look at 997.2, as the base 997.2 just didn't have enough going for it to upgrade from 997.1!

To your questions... Coupe vs. Cab - totally personal, you need to make a call on that.

Centerlock wheels are cool and I would definitely choose em, however, if you plan to change wheels, or if you track your car and need to swap wheels/pads for track days, go with standard 5-lug wheels.

Get Sports Chrono IMO, I actually like it. SPASM is great if you track your car, but if it's ONLY street driving, and you're worried about scraping, you can skip.

I would order some deviated stiching with whichever interior you get, just add that extra look to the car... the rest is all personal.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

I am for the lightest possible car:

No Bose, no NAV, no XM
Manual sports seats
SC
LSD
Std 5 lug rims if available

that's it!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Think twice before ordering the centerlock wheels. There's banter in the GT3 forum that they're basically a pain in the *** and impractical.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:50 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Think twice before ordering the centerlock wheels. There's banter in the GT3 forum that they're basically a pain in the *** and impractical.
ONLY for those people who need to swap on a regular basis, like with a set of track wheels. For the average driver, they are no different - other than looking tons better.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, the downsides of the centerlock wheels only come into play for track junkies. For a street car the biggest issue I can see is that you'll pretty much have to buy your tires at the dealership since independent shops won't be able to or won't want to deal with the hassle. That seems like a (relatively) small inconvenience if you like how the centerlocks look, especially if your dealer is willing to get close to tire rack pricing on tires.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6M may be a rare car after all is said and done. Most people will order the PDK w/ SC so that will likely make your car standout later.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...re-to-buy.html
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

Hmm- centerlocks sure look cool and unique but are not without their disadvantages. If I could order the GTS with the Fuch Sport Classics, i probably would. However, I might just buy that huge breaker bar and T wrench and plan on getting my tires from the dealer. No one said owning these cars was inexpensive... thanks for the input.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Listen to Dave Coochas about the GT3 comments on the center locks. Cool, but a pain in the rear for a little coolness. It will leave you in trouble more at the side of the road someday. For a true track car with a support structure around you it could make more sense--but many of these guys don't like it either.

You can spend $10K easily on just leather augmentation. It makes the car more enjoyable. I chuckle when I see a "top of the line" turbo with that non-leather slush treatment on the center console so they could save $1600 or so. Perhaps that new space age leather stuff--alcantera, is on that GTS, don't know for sure. Skip the deviating stitching unless you are very smart about that stuff. A piece or two neglected will stand out and your friends who you will want to impress in the car someday will wind up saying, "gee, look, they missed a section!"

Be patient. There is much to learn about setting up these cars. I have seen some custom jobs that are absolutely terrible, and others that are first rate. Have fun with the order, no matter what. It took me 9 months from walking into my local dealership to picking up the car at Zuffenhausen. Most Americans demand instant gratification.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

No Bose, no NAV, no XM
Manual sports seats
SC
LSD

that's it!
+1...just like my current 997.2S
Old 09-18-2010, 01:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Having said that, GTS is THE ONLY TIME, I felt I need to look at 997.2, as the base 997.2 just didn't have enough going for it to upgrade from 997.1!

That was me last year. Had a 40th anni and didnt want to go to the 997.1 for 10HP more. Waited for the 997.2S and love it. Big difference.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:24 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

No Bose, no NAV, no XM
Manual sports seats
SC
LSD

that's it!
Lightest possible car would ditch PDK, so no use for SC. I think the CL is lighter than the 5-lug, so maybe it will balance out the XM I ordered. Otherwise, that's my order above.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

Question. If not centerlocks,which style of wheel looks best. The P configurator for GTS does not look like it is up yet. I bet the performance will be very close to the 'new' 991 S
Jim
Old 09-18-2010, 02:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Lightest possible car would ditch PDK, so no use for SC. I think the CL is lighter than the 5-lug, so maybe it will balance out the XM I ordered. Otherwise, that's my order above.
FYI 1: The list I provided did not include PDK, as the OP prescribed manual... However, the 60 odd pounds added by PDK are at the lowest point in the chassis and are more than offset by its performance gains.

FYI 2: SC is still of interest in a manual tranny car. It's not just a throttle profile modifier, ya know? The SC chronograph on the dash is far less of a wart (it actually looks good) than the despicable XM box perforating the roof.

Quick Reply: Help me spec my GTS-