Sponsored by:

Help me spec my GTS-

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
FYI 2: SC is still of interest in a manual tranny car.
For what?
Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
+1...just like my current 997.2S
...and mine: LSD, Sports Seats, SC and PSE only.

The GTS has a bit more power but is no more nimble than my C2S (in fact, it's fatter - I like my girls narrow-hipped)
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
For what?
SC (i) changes ECU engine mapping, (ii) modifies PSM settings, and (iii) alters PASM control. SC should be standard on all cars, and I would not buy one without it.

There's more to SC than a pretty chronograph on the dash.

P.S. - SC also records performance data (Speed, RPM, longitudinal and transversal acceleration, and other params), which can be downloaded and analyzed (it's a CSV file), if you care for that type of thing. It's pretty cool.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

SC (i) changes ECU engine mapping, (ii) modifies PSM settings, and (iii) alters PASM control.
In the interests of accuracy... In a non-turbo, manual car:

(i) is perhaps an overstatement. SC alters the throttle pedal input and makes the redline cutoff more severe (of interest to drivers who routinely hit the rev limiter, I suppose). It doesn't change "engine mapping" I think using the phrase "ECU engine mapping" is misleading and might cause someone to believe that SC adds power to the car, which it does not. A car equipped with SC can't accelerate any faster, turn any quicker, or stop any shorter than a non-SC car.

(ii) is correct and may be valuable for some people.

(iii) is not correct. SC does nothing to the PASM settings that PASM alone does not also do. You don't need SC in order to set PASM to sport mode.

Additionally, you omitted...

(iv) allows you to modify a handful of convenience settings yourself, such as how long the interior lights stay illuminated after shutting off the car. Without SC these settings are only accessible by your dealer with the PIWS tool.

--

For me, the SC does not offer any value. I've had it on my last two cars and I swear never again. The relaxed PSM settings aren't useful for me on the street or track. I am pleased that with the 997.2 Porsche added the more sophisticated lap timing and data logging features, but without GPS integration still disinterested. Any system which requires the driver to flick the little control stalk with tenth-of-a-second accuracy to mark each lap just doesn't seem practical to me. I also don't like the display on the dash, but that's just a personal preference.

I agree completely that whatever your thoughts may be about sport chrono, these ought to be standard features -- particularly in PDK cars which are tangibly worse in the absence of the sport chrono features.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

SC does change engine mapping in the sense that throttle profile is tightly linked to PSM. Same with PASM - PASM is affected by PSM inputs.

I agree that SC value is even higher on PDK cars.

Last edited by ADias; 09-18-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

SC does change engine mapping in the sense that throttle profile is tightly linked to PSM. Same with PASM - PASM is affected by PSM inputs.
I don't really understand what you're saying. Are you saying that enabling PASM Sport will be different depending on whether or not SC Sport is on or off? I ask because the Porsche website says otherwise and I've never seen anything in my owners manual that indicates this either.

All Porsche say is that when enabling sport chrono or sport chrono plus: "The optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to ‘Sport’ mode..." which just makes it sound like it's helpfully engaging both with a single button press.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
I don't really understand what you're saying. Are you saying that enabling PASM Sport will be different depending on whether or not SC Sport is on or off? I ask because the Porsche website says otherwise and I've never seen anything in my owners manual that indicates this either.

All Porsche say is that when enabling sport chrono or sport chrono plus: "The optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to ‘Sport’ mode..." which just makes it sound like it's helpfully engaging both with a single button press.
Yes, a recent thread claimed that SC Sport does indeed affect how PASM reacts. It makes sense because, throttle control, PSM, and PASM are all networked. PSM affects PASM and when PSM is changed that linkage can very well change. Incidentally, in our less than perfect roads I switch PASM back to Normal when SC Sport is engaged. On good surfaces PASM Sport is excellent.

As an aside... I find handling differences readily noticeable and have a clear preference of one over another. That's why is so frustrating to argue with those who claim these are minor differences and that sheer power overwhelms them. NOT!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:57 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Yes, a recent thread claimed that SC Sport does indeed affect how PASM reacts. It makes sense because, throttle control, PSM, and PASM are all networked. PSM affects PASM and when PSM is changed that linkage can very well change. Incidentally, in our less than perfect roads I switch PASM back to Normal when SC Sport is engaged. On good surfaces PASM Sport is excellent.

As an aside... I find handling differences readily noticeable and have a clear preference of one over another. That's why is so frustrating to argue with those who claim these are minor differences and that sheer power overwhelms them. NOT!
I disagree that SC has any relevant impact to PSM or PASM, and no effect on throttle control beyond a *static* remap that simply changes the curve (i.e. less throttle pedal travel to WOT). I challenge you to produce anything from Porsche (website or manual) to support your position.

Anything on Rennlist is mere anecdotal.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:16 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

As you can see below, Sport Mode is a PASM/PSM mode that is completely independent of Sport Chrono Plus. The owners manual is clear about exactly what Sport Chrono enables (primarily PCM settings and lap timer). I'm not sure how you infer there are some secret manipulations of various engine and suspension control systems by SC, but it seems obvious that Porsche disagrees with your assumptions.

Owners_Manual_Carrera_PCNA.pdf

Page 64

Sport Mode

A sportier car set-up is obtained when Sport mode is switched on. Interventions by the Porsche control systems are intentionally shifted towards greater agility and driving performance:
– PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) is automatically changed to Sport mode, resulting in a stiffer suspension setup.
– When Sport mode is active, the PDK transmission switches to a sporty gear-changing map and shortens the gear shifting times. Gear changes take place faster, but fuel consumption is also increased.
– PSM (Porsche Stability Management) control gives a sportier road-feel to the vehicle. PSM interventions take place later than in Normal mode. The driver can maneuver the vehicle with greater agility at its performance limits, without having to dispense with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations. This helps to achieve optimal lap times, particularly on race circuits with a dry road surface.
– The electronic accelerator pedal reacts sooner, and the engine is more responsive to throttle inputs. When Sport mode is switched on, this function is activated only after the driver has floored the accelerator pedal or released it briefly.
– The rpm limiter characteristic is “harder”, i.e. the engine is immediately throttled when the performance limits are reached (only in manual selection mode for vehicles with PDK transmission).
f Please observe the chapters on PSM, PASM and PDK.
Switching Sport mode on and off

Switching Sport mode on and off simultaneously activates and deactivates the Sport mode in PASM.

If PASM Sport mode was activated with the PASM button, PASM remains active.

After the ignition is switched off, Sport mode is automatically reset to Normal mode.

SPORT button
f Press SPORT button A in the center console. When Sport mode is switched on, the light emitting diode in the SPORT button is lit.
A sporty gear-changing map is enabled and the gear shifting times are shortened for the PDK transmission.

A sporty driving style is recognized more quickly and the gear-changing speeds are adapted to driving performance.

Deceleration downshifts are commenced earlier.

Downshifts are made during slight decelerations, even at higher engine speeds.
f Please see the chapter “SPORT MODE (“SPORT” AND “SPORT PLUS” MODES)” on Page 172.
Page 65

SPORT PLUS button
(only on vehicles with PDK transmission)

In “Sport Plus” mode, the PDK transmission changes to a shift program designed for driving on race circuits. 7th gear is not selected.
The gear-changing performance is enhanced significantly again compared with “Sport” mode.
[INDENT]f Please see the chapter “SPORT MODE
(“SPORT” AND “SPORT PLUS” MODES)” on Page 172.
f Press SPORT PLUS button B in the center console.[/IINDENT]

When Sport mode is switched on, the light emitting diode in the SPORT PLUS button is lit.

When mode “Sport” is switched on, the logo SPORT appears next to the digital speedometer.

When mode “Sport Plus” is switched on, the logo SPORT PLUS appears next to the digital speedometer.

Page 172

Sport mode
(“Sport” and “Sport Plus” modes)

“Sport” mode activated:

The PDK transmission switches to a sporty gear changing map and shortens the gear shifting times.

A sporty driving style is recognised more quickly and the gear-changing speeds are adapted to driving performance.

Deceleration downshifts are commenced earlier.

Downshifts are already carried out in the case of slight decelerations, even at higher engine speeds.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

SC (i) changes ECU engine mapping, (ii) modifies PSM settings, and (iii) alters PASM control. SC should be standard on all cars, and I would not buy one without it.

There's more to SC than a pretty chronograph on the dash.

P.S. - SC also records performance data (Speed, RPM, longitudinal and transversal acceleration, and other params), which can be downloaded and analyzed (it's a CSV file), if you care for that type of thing. It's pretty cool.
I love my sport chrono feature but my car is just an old fashioned 05 C2S 6spd...
Jim
Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

As someone who shares your sensitivity to suspension setups, I think you are referring to the following feature of SC in combination with PASM:

PASM is not a toggle switch between two fixed settings. Each PASM setting is a continuously variable damping algorithm, with Normal occupying the range from comfort to medium firm and Sport occupying the range moderately firm to rock hard - steady on ladies . Crucially , there is a crossover between the two. When you drive harder with exagerated throttle, brake and steering inputs, the sensors in PASM adjust the dampers to firm the suspension, when you ease off, the dampers relax, each time within the selected Normal or Sport range.

However, when you select SC and reset PASM Sport to Normal (which is necessary on most roads in my part of the world) the damper settings are held at the firm end of the Normal range (= soft end of Sport) irrespective of your driving behaviour, as if the sensors interpret that you are pushing on even though you may be driving sedately. This part of the PASM range happens to be IMO the best compromise between sporty and comfortable, enabling you to enjoy the ideal suspension setup at lower speeds and with less aggressive on-road manners.

Consequently, what is significant is not the influence of SC on PASM Sport, but on PASM Normal, combining the best throttle response with the best suspension setup. Try it using your seat of pants geo: you'll feel the suspension relax when you switch from Sport SC "on" with Normal PASM to Sport SC "off" with Normal PASM.

All this is subjective, and maybe a C2 owner (mine's a C2S) will be along in a moment to comment that the standard suspension sits in that sweet spot anyway and provides yet another reason (18" wheels, 25kg lighter, lower fuel consumption, $300 dollar road tax saving in UK) to choose the basic car. Damn, they might be right.

Last edited by Betternotbigger; 09-19-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Handoogies
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread got real nerdy real fast
Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by Handoogies
this thread got real nerdy real fast
Sorry, should we just comment on our favourite colour?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Sorry, should we just comment on our favourite colour?
Mine's black BTW

Found your post pretty useful on SC and SPASM (although it was nerdy)... It applies to me as I have SC and SPASM.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger

However, when you select SC and reset PASM Sport to Normal (which is necessary on most roads in my part of the world) the damper settings are held at the firm end of the Normal range (= soft end of Sport) irrespective of your driving behaviour, as if the sensors interpret that you are pushing on even though you may be driving sedately. This part of the PASM range happens to be IMO the best compromise between sporty and comfortable, enabling you to enjoy the ideal suspension setup at lower speeds and with less aggressive on-road manners.

Consequently, what is significant is not the influence of SC on PASM Sport, but on PASM Normal, combining the best throttle response with the best suspension setup. Try it using your seat of pants geo: you'll feel the suspension relax when you switch from Sport SC "on" with Normal PASM to Sport SC "off" with Normal PASM.
That's right and thats how I drive all the time. SC set to sport, SPASM to normal.

Quick Reply: Help me spec my GTS-