Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spec my GTS-

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010 | 02:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
However, when you select SC and reset PASM Sport to Normal (which is necessary on most roads in my part of the world) the damper settings are held at the firm end of the Normal range (= soft end of Sport) irrespective of your driving behaviour, as if the sensors interpret that you are pushing on even though you may be driving sedately. This part of the PASM range happens to be IMO the best compromise between sporty and comfortable, enabling you to enjoy the ideal suspension setup at lower speeds and with less aggressive on-road manners.

Consequently, what is significant is not the influence of SC on PASM Sport, but on PASM Normal, combining the best throttle response with the best suspension setup. Try it using your seat of pants geo: you'll feel the suspension relax when you switch from Sport SC "on" with Normal PASM to Sport SC "off" with Normal PASM...
There lies the linkage between PASM and SC. I agree with your observations.

I also think that SC Sport's PSM higher limits add to the experience (even manual cars). For some reason people put down SC but I think they do not know what they miss.

Last edited by ADias; 09-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 | 02:49 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
There lies the linkage between PASM and SC. I agree with your observations.

I also think that SC Sport's PSM higher limits add to the experience. For some reason people put down SC (even manual car owners) but I think they do not know what they miss.
+100. And I personally like the way it looks. I dont think I would buy another new Porsche without it.
Old 09-19-2010 | 03:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I also think that SC Sport's PSM higher limits add to the experience. For some reason people put down SC (even manual car owners) but I think they do not know what they miss.
Well, I don't even have PSM in the GT3. That's as relaxed as it gets. But when I had my C2S I still didn't use it. On the street the normal PSM was fine. If you're hitting the PSM limits on the street it just means you need to get out on the track more. On the track I turned it off completely. I never had a reason to use the "relaxed" sport PSM settings. That, combined with the fact that I just found the twitchy throttle to be annoying means I never used Sport mode at all. Didn't use it, didn't like it, didn't find any value from it.
Old 09-19-2010 | 03:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
Well, I don't even have PSM in the GT3. That's as relaxed as it gets. But when I had my C2S I still didn't use it. On the street the normal PSM was fine. If you're hitting the PSM limits on the street it just means you need to get out on the track more. On the track I turned it off completely. I never had a reason to use the "relaxed" sport PSM settings.
Nugget: Even on the open road, at a perfectly safe pace, PSM may intervene and you do not even notice it or get any dash warning. PSM interventions add to disc pad wear, especially if it constantly intervenes too early.
Old 09-19-2010 | 03:31 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Since I am the OP, I want to thank you ADias and Bigger for help with the SC. First I was going to get it, then agreed with Gravedgr about not getting, now I want to get it again. I've had it on my other Porsches and used it sometimes and sometimes not but my only reason to not get it was that I never liked or used the dial on the dash. I also have recently read here on Rennlist that at least one 997.2 guy added it to his non-SC car for around $1100, with button but no wart. That might be the best of both worlds. I am getting the antique 6 speed manual.

Still undecided on the Centerlock wheels but leaning towards them.

Does anyone know if the SPASM is available on the cab? I love the look of the -20mm lowered suspension and added the ROW -20 to my turbo some years ago (at much higher cost than checking off the box on order).

Anyone know where the XM antenna goes on a cab?

Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2010 | 03:41 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I never meant to try and sway either way. I just dislike misinformation and people treating "butt dynos", "seat of the pants" feels, or other unscientific methods of justifying/"proving" nonfactual information.

A perfect example is CAI kits. Very few add actual power on most cars. Their owners, by and large, will swear they can feel the difference. Not surprisingly, the amount of $$ paid is almost always directly related to the hp increase they can "feel".

The bottom line - so long as you like it, it doesn't really matter if it does anything or not.
Old 09-19-2010 | 04:01 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gravedgr
FWIW, I never meant to try and sway either way. I just dislike misinformation and people treating "butt dynos", "seat of the pants" feels, or other unscientific methods of justifying/"proving" nonfactual information.

I know and the internet is full of experts and facts presented as facts when they're not.

A perfect example is CAI kits. Very few add actual power on most cars. Their owners, by and large, will swear they can feel the difference. Not surprisingly, the amount of $$ paid is almost always directly related to the hp increase they can "feel".

I've fallen for that before...

The bottom line - so long as you like it, it doesn't really matter if it does anything or not.
Absolutely!
Old 09-19-2010 | 05:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gravedgr

Quick Reply: Help me spec my GTS-