Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do the driving lights light up when you turn on the fog light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts
Default do the driving lights light up when you turn on the fog light?

i just noticed that when you pull the light switch to turn on the rear fog nothing happens to the front lights. Is this normal? i was expecting the lights in front to get brighter or the led lamps to light up to add to the intensity of the headlights...nothing happened.. is this true for all or can we program it to light up when the rear fog is turned on?its a 997.2
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i just noticed that when you pull the light switch to turn on the rear fog nothing happens to the front lights. Is this normal?
Normal.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

What I heard is that PAG decided to do away with the front fogs given that the current bi-xenons are nicely collimated (non-spreading vertical beam) and, as such, conventional front fogs are no longer required.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:59 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

great. now i know there is nothing wrong with the car. the next question is maybe there is a way to turn those nice daytime driving lights on when the rear fogs are switched on. that would be a nice mod.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

thanks brothers
Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daytime LEDs should come on when you start up (fog on or off). Unless you've gone into the settings and turned 'em off.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
Daytime LEDs should come on when you start up (fog on or off). Unless you've gone into the settings and turned 'em off.
The thing is, the only way to engage the rear fog lights is when the headlights are on. And when the headlights are on, the 6 main driving LED's go out and just a single much dimmer LED "position light" (Porsche's term) is on.

So unless you hack something, there's no way to have the main driving LED's plus main beams and/or rear fogs on simultaneously.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The thing is, the only way to engage the rear fog lights is when the headlights are on. And when the headlights are on, the 6 main driving LED's go out and just a single much dimmer LED "position light" (Porsche's term) is on.

So unless you hack something, there's no way to have the main driving LED's plus main beams and/or rear fogs on simultaneously.

You are, of course, correct, Mike; I had forgotten that (probably because the sun always shines here in England......)
Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
You are, of course, correct, Mike; I had forgotten that (probably because the sun always shines here in England......)
The sun shining all the time may be a bit exaggerated but I love England having visited several times. It is one of my favorite countries and a beautiful place!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i just noticed that when you pull the light switch to turn on the rear fog nothing happens to the front lights. Is this normal? i was expecting the lights in front to get brighter or the led lamps to light up to add to the intensity of the headlights...nothing happened.. is this true for all or can we program it to light up when the rear fog is turned on?its a 997.2
This is exactly what should happen.

The pull turns on the rear fog light. Nothing else. That rear fog is to be used only in very dense fog like conditions with very poor visibility (under 50m is the German vehicular code rule).

Quick Reply: do the driving lights light up when you turn on the fog light?