Sponsored by:

PASM vs. SPASM - daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts
Default PASM vs. SPASM - daily driving

I opted *not* to get the PASM Sport Chassis (often referred to as SPASM) on my '11 order in favor of the basic PASM due to concerns over scraping on entry/exit of my driveway. On the S, the PASM sits the car 10 mm (~.40 inches) lower than normal, while PASM Sport Chassis lowers the car another 10 mm (~.80 inches).

My 997.1 S had PASM and the underspoiler (black plastic under the bumper cover) scraped on more than one occasion (I even scraped the bumper cover once, taking a nice patch of Speed Yellow paint with it). So given the infrequency of my track events and the concern over height, I opted not to get the SPASM.

Now I'm second guessing myself.

Ignoring the ride height issue, what is the ride quality of the SPASM in normal/non-sport mode compared to the standard PASM? I also know you can only order SPASM w/19" wheels - does that mean they are completely incompatible with 18" wheels for track use; or does that mean you need a particular configuration, like offset or size, to make it work?

[sorry for the duplicate 6speedonline post]
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that's tough to answer. You'd just about have to drive the same route back to back w/ and w/o them. I have an 09S w/ SPASM & love it. If road gets too rough I just opt for normal mode otherwise I leave it in sport. I like how inexpensive the option was and that it came w/ an LSD as well as the lowered ride height.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

My take on PASM vs SPASM: The pin sharp handling.
Dampers, anti-roll bars, suspension bushings all same but spring rates are 9% stiffer; drops ride height by an additional 10 mm with same number of spring coils (4). Sport PASM still soaks up lumps and bumps and takes edge of sharp shocks as good as PASM but feels subtly sharper and turns better and the LSP is a welcome addition. It's a visual bonus, but downside is the vulnerable front bumper. Is the small advantage in handling and looks worth the hassle of a vulnerable fron bumper: YOU DECIDE.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Worth every penny, imo. I love it, love it, love it.
It is my daily all year round Canadian driver (18K/year). I do use "sport mode" almost every day but not all the time. Its great on highway ramps and wherever pavement permits. On the track its a must.
My sales rep mentioned that 997.2 SPASM in "normal" mode has similar "stiffness" as 997.1 PASM in "sport". Plus it comes with LSD, stiffer sway bars, etc... Whats one mod everybody does on an older 911? Suspension! Why? To update the car's dynamics. A car with factory Sport PASM wont need to be updated anytime soon. Great resale point.
No issues here with entering driveways, either. The rim size has to do with LSD, so I opted for 19" winter set too.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Dampers, anti-roll bars, suspension bushings all same but spring rates are 9% stiffer; drops ride height by an additional 10 mm with same number of spring coils (4). .
Quoted from Porsche web site: Ride height lowered by 20 mm. Stiffer springs, shock absorbers and anti-roll bars. Requires 19-inch wheels.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a 2007 with PASM for 2 years, now have had a 2009 for 2 years with SPASM. Far and away a much superior suspension with better shocks, springs, and sways plus Gen 2 logic in the computer controls. My lower 09 doesn't scrape any more than my 07 did. The only thing I tickle once in a while is the little flexible rubber "flaps" in front of each of the front wheels, which is what they are meant to do. I'd have to say that the DFI engine, LSD / SPASM have made this 09 the superior car to both my 07 C2S AND my 07 GT3! Read some of my reviews posted here at the forum...

As to 18s vs. 19s - the car has done wonderfully with SPASM on the track for 2 years with both 19s and 18s. Currently running 8.5 x 18 and 11 x 18 with 245/305 RA1s.

Having owned 3 997 cars I can honestly say the SPASM option has been my favorite. Keep in mind I even tried Damptronics on my 07 and the SPASM is light years better.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Let me clarify here. My 997.2 PDK equipped C4S has SPASM and I absolutely love it. Do not drive without it. If I had the choice there is no question that I would opt for it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
As to 18s vs. 19s - the car has done wonderfully with SPASM on the track for 2 years with both 19s and 18s. Currently running 8.5 x 18 and 11 x 18 with 245/305 RA1s.
Thanks Ron, I figured you'd chime in on this one. I'm thinking of calling my dealer and seeing if it will affect my delivery date.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Mark618
Intermediate

My 997.2 PDK equipped C4S has SPASM and I absolutely love it. Do not drive without it. If I had the choice there is no question that I would opt for it. In addition there are only a few instances where it scrapes the spoiler.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Had a 2007 with PASM for 2 years, now have had a 2009 for 2 years with SPASM. Far and away a much superior suspension with better shocks, springs, and sways plus Gen 2 logic in the computer controls. My lower 09 doesn't scrape any more than my 07 did. The only thing I tickle once in a while is the little flexible rubber "flaps" in front of each of the front wheels, which is what they are meant to do. I'd have to say that the DFI engine, LSD / SPASM have made this 09 the superior car to both my 07 C2S AND my 07 GT3! Read some of my reviews posted here at the forum...

Having owned 3 997 cars I can honestly say the SPASM option has been my favorite. Keep in mind I even tried Damptronics on my 07 and the SPASM is light years better.
+1 SPASM in normal mode with 19's on the street has a very acceptable ride and ground clearance. I also use 18's for autox with no issues. You will appreciate the sharper handling with SPASM and there's really no downside. Plus you get the LSD!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any point in some sort of metal or hard plastic plate under the lip to protect it?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Roll bars are different with SPASM as well as spring rates but I do not know if the shocks are different. I have has 997S PASM cars and have been driving my 09 997S w/ SPASM for 2 years now. I would NOT consider a 997S with out SPASM...it is that good. I have no issues with it on the street and SPAMS is a great suspension for DE use.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to spec Sport Chassis for the $900 add-on I think it costs. No brainer to pick up LSD and the suspension can be changed back if you want to. I'm inches from closing on a 2009 997.2 w/o SPASM and have contacted two dealers on a retro-fit of the springs. Champion quoted me two days ago that it would be about $300 for each pair of springs and then two controllers, at ~$350 each. Its interesting that they said no damper swap-out is called for. I think that's because the controller settings dictate the necessary valving change. Pretty neat, huh?

In a recent thread titled H&R springs, somebody posted spring rates for 997.2 PASM vs SPASM, in newton meters (multiply by 5.7 for pounds):
Front C2S
PASM 33
SPASM 36

Rear C2S
PASM 56
SPASM 65/95 (progressive)

so, its the rears that go up a lot. Might be useful to point out that they were adding 3NM for stock rear PDK equiped cars (its heavier).

The roll bar diams were 24 vs 24.5 for SPASM (Note, I'd take that as a small change and be willing to game it as not mandatory, but that's just me)

As far as the lowering, since I'm still in GT3 lust mode, I can say that only from carefully looking at pics, the Damptronic coilovers can go -50mm taking 997's lower than even GT3's appear to be. I'm guessing GT3's are about -40. This might give perspective to stock, -10, or SPASM's -20. I am not suggesting a specific setting. Just attempting to offer perpsective. So often it comes down to the one driveway, etc, in your route.

Can anyone comment on the claimed inherrent benefits in corner balancing from coilovers (stock GT3) and what sort of give-up 997 owners are making, if any in that regard? I'm getting depressed shutting the door on a 2007 GT3 and need all of your help
Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SPASM is pretty amazing and in my opinion after many thousands of track miles in a 2007 C2S with PASM and then Damptronics and then a 2007 GT3, and most recently a 2009 C2S with SPASM it is worth every penny to option or update. Found a steal of a deal on a PASM car? Great, spend the $1300 in parts and maybe $500 in labor / alignment and turn it into SPASM. The LSD really isn't required. While you are at it, throw on the GT3 control arms and get double benefit out of the labor / alignment from changing PASM to SPASM.

Then again, that newly announced GTS is looking pretty nice...
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I just talked to my dealer and he said the shop guys are saying SPASM is an extremely rare option. I was like, "Uh, they must not troll rennlist."

I am getting details on changing to a GTS order. Delivery is "spring" according the PCNA documents they have. Looks like they are going to want most or all of my discount back.

Quick Reply: PASM vs. SPASM - daily driving