Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is so special with replacing windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
I was coached to only have Porsche replace my windshield when it was time. I do not hear any wind noise or do not have any poor quality glass since I went w/ OEM. Here is a copy of my estimate.
That labor charge is insane.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:27 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Only had to pay the $50 deductible to State Farm. State Farm tried to challenge the quote & could not find any one who would take on the job so they happily sent it to the dealership to be fixed.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
Only had to pay the $50 deductible to State Farm. State Farm tried to challenge the quote & could not find any one who would take on the job so they happily sent it to the dealership to be fixed.
Leith sucks. When you have to pay he bill yourself, you might want to try Southpoint.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:22 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Iceter

HAHA. I hear ya!!!!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

As far as I know, and I did auto glass for 15 years and am currently still in the glass business, the BEST auto glass urethane is around 15$ a cartiridge and you "may" need 1.5 on a windshield that small. I'd source the OEM windshield and find a quality shop to install it (and they do it at customers risk when they do not sell the glass, for a few reasons)

$2500 for a windshield, I've seen strange things, but this is up there. On the other hand, truth is stranger than fiction.

Find the OEM part, pay the 150 in shipping and find a high quality local shop....thats what I will do when mine eventually goes
Old 04-28-2020, 11:37 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tegraphile
Just got off the phone with Geico and they approved OEM for my 997. I'll consider this a quarantine-related goodwill gesture since they denied it on my F30 last year. They're probably sitting on a pile of cash with the decrease in claims. Either way, I'll take it.
Let us know who gets sent out. I would use either Sean with Precision in Pleasanton or Elite Auto glass in Livermore. I use a Dublin Company for my small fleet, but cheap is cheap.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:56 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
Let us know who gets sent out. I would use either Sean with Precision in Pleasanton or Elite Auto glass in Livermore. I use a Dublin Company for my small fleet, but cheap is cheap.
Oh nice, a local! I've gone with Curtis from Elevate Auto Glass out of Martinez. Really good experience, lots of good reviews and super professional. He was at my work the next day to get it done; Safelite wanted a week. My one issue was when I went with aftermarket glass on my prior BMW driver side door. It had significant wind noise. I let him know and he was back the next day with an OEM sheet and the problem was gone; no question and no extra labor charged, just the cost of the OEM glass. He's come out to my work and home without issue, so perfect for scheduling.
The following users liked this post:
mextreme (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 12:02 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tegraphile
Oh nice, a local! I've gone with Curtis from Elevate Auto Glass out of Martinez. Really good experience, lots of good reviews and super professional. He was at my work the next day to get it done; Safelite wanted a week. My one issue was when I went with aftermarket glass on my prior BMW driver side door. It had significant wind noise. I let him know and he was back the next day with an OEM sheet and the problem was gone; no question and no extra labor charged, just the cost of the OEM glass. He's come out to my work and home without issue, so perfect for scheduling.
Thats good to know about another local, good luck with it all and post some pics.....cheers,
Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 PM
mextreme
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a few people mentioned pitting. I have a new to me 2006 C2S with 95K miles. I don't know if
the glass has been replaced but looking at the windshield with certain amount of light I can see 100s of tiny pits.
I would guess it was driven behind a sand/gravel truck for a period of time. Never seen anything like it.
Is there something different about this glass? I don't really notice it driving but it still bugs me enough to
considering replacing the windshield.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:16 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mextreme
I noticed a few people mentioned pitting. I have a new to me 2006 C2S with 95K miles. I don't know if
the glass has been replaced but looking at the windshield with certain amount of light I can see 100s of tiny pits.
I would guess it was driven behind a sand/gravel truck for a period of time. Never seen anything like it.
Is there something different about this glass? I don't really notice it driving but it still bugs me enough to
considering replacing the windshield.
If it's a California car its not unusual for the age, lots of sand and dust especially if you live near the ocean.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:25 PM
mextreme
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ripking
If it's a California car its not unusual for the age, lots of sand and dust especially if you live near the ocean.
Yeah the car has been in various parts of California all these years. In SF bay area, we replace a lot of glass from awful gravel and junk roads
which cracks glass and chips the paint - have not seen pitting like this. Must have been closer to the ocean for a while. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
kcirderf (05-26-2020)

Quick Reply: what is so special with replacing windshield?