Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is so special with replacing windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

As others have posted, nothing inordinately special but you do want to use a glass installer that's done Porsches, and it's likely the only glass available will be an OEM windshield.

I had the windshield replaced in my 02 Boxster S, and it was clearly obvious my installer had worked on several just by how confidently he removed the old glass. My insurance company was surprised that the bill exceeded my $500 comprehensive deductible (in large part because of the cost of the OEM windshield).

Mine never leaked for the remainder of the 3 1/2 years I owned it.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the windshield replaced on an SL500 (the installer gouged the A pillar) and a E class (no problem). The p-car windshield had a small crater that was filled (he scratched the door handle with his tool box).

On the Ultimate factories series they mention that the windshield is installed very precisely at the Porsche factory robotically with laser precision and that this step is cirtical as it contributes to the integrity of the car's structure.

I doubt that this can be done manually with the same precision maintaining the car's original rigidity.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:44 PM
M G
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Replacing the windshield on a 997 is pretty much like doing it on any other modern car, aside from there being perhaps a few more versions of the glass to cover the various vehicle options. In fact, if you go to your dealer to replace the glass they'll likely subcontract the job to a local glass installer. When I had my glass replaced after a chip split into a long crack before I could get it filled, Safelite came out with their truck and did the replacement on-site. They even used Porsche factory glass.
Safelite doesn't use factory glass. You have to specify that you want OEM, otherwise they use their lower quality "made in China" glass. Even requesting OEM isn't enough for most cases. Your insurance company has to agree too.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:54 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by M G
Safelite doesn't use factory glass. You have to specify that you want OEM, otherwise they use their lower quality "made in China" glass. Even requesting OEM isn't enough for most cases. Your insurance company has to agree too.
Or, if the insurance company refuses to cover the entire cost for OEM, you can always pay the difference.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:45 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

To me, windshields are wear items. I used Safelite for my replacement and bought the aftermarket glass. I'm completely satisfied with what I bought and Safelite's workmanship. I did take the car to their shop location though; for me that's preferable to mobile service.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:48 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by M G
When I set up the coverage variables in my policy, I opted to pay a slight uncharge in the premium for all replacement parts to be OEM - no exceptions. Glass included. This prevents any question or back-and-forth at claim time.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:55 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are thinking of replacing your windshield it might be good idea to do it now before the OEM replacement parts dry up, as I imagine that European suppliers have shut down.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Antenna in the glass is widely used across the industry. Nothing luxury about it. It's just an unplug-replug deal. Not difficult.

Rain sensors are not hard, either. On many cars they are usually held on to the glass with a double-sided piece of flexible sticky goo. They use a new one when they re-install the sensor. Only difficult part there is making sure it is installed neatly and the guy doesn't rip the pad, which is kinda fragile.

Windshields are installed by robots across the industry as well. Nothing special about that. Applying a perfectly-shaped, continuous bead of sealant takes skill. Windshields are heavy. A robot eliminates human error by eliminating a human applying the sealant and another human using a moveable rack to install the glass. Not only were windshields often damaged on the assembly line but water leaks from badly-installed windshields cost manufacturers millions per year in warranty costs.

My advice is to be nice to the installer, but watch him like a hawk. I had a guy gouge the roof of a 4-runner years ago when he was cleaning the old sealant off with a sharp tool.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 544 Posts

This thread is giving me flashbacks to 9pm last night while in the garage seeing a large crack in my new to me 911. After nearly having a heart attack, I noticed it was the thin antenna wire i was looking at and seeing a second one in the opposite side of the windshield I relaxed. Whew!
Old 04-28-2020, 02:02 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Just got off the phone with Geico and they approved OEM for my 997. I'll consider this a quarantine-related goodwill gesture since they denied it on my F30 last year. They're probably sitting on a pile of cash with the decrease in claims. Either way, I'll take it.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tegraphile
Just got off the phone with Geico and they approved OEM for my 997. I'll consider this a quarantine-related goodwill gesture since they denied it on my F30 last year. They're probably sitting on a pile of cash with the decrease in claims. Either way, I'll take it.
sounds like a win, was it cracked or just pitted?
Old 04-28-2020, 03:24 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ripking
sounds like a win, was it cracked or just pitted?
Haha, definite win. I was honest and said it was heavily pitted and difficult to see in the late afternoon. They asked if it had more than 4 pits (try, a few hundred) and they agreed that it qualified. I mean, if a crack reduces visability, even if structurally sound, pits should count too. This was going to be my argument, but didn't need it.

Thankfully, I have a trusted local installer, so hope to get it done this week.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:40 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tegraphile
Haha, definite win. I was honest and said it was heavily pitted and difficult to see in the late afternoon. They asked if it had more than 4 pits (try, a few hundred) and they agreed that it qualified. I mean, if a crack reduces visability, even if structurally sound, pits should count too. This was going to be my argument, but didn't need it.

Thankfully, I have a trusted local installer, so hope to get it done this week.
Huh, interesting. Wonder if I should try that tact as well. Mine has a lot of pitting over the 10 years its been on the road and windshield has definitely been on my longer term list. did they send out someone to inspect it?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:48 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ripking
Huh, interesting. Wonder if I should try that tact as well. Mine has a lot of pitting over the 10 years its been on the road and windshield has definitely been on my longer term list. did they send out someone to inspect it?
Nope, it was all approved over the phone. No photos or inspection needed. I actually has already lined up on the appointment to change it before I called. If they said no, I was prepared to pay for it myself, but I got lucky.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:50 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I was coached to only have Porsche replace my windshield when it was time. I do not hear any wind noise or do not have any poor quality glass since I went w/ OEM. Here is a copy of my estimate.

Quick Reply: what is so special with replacing windshield?