Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is so special with replacing windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default what is so special with replacing windshield?

i would think that replacing the windshield of our p-cars should be similar to any other new car on the planet. Any future technology here. i would think its simply putting the proper amount of sealant and since the winshield already comes with the rubber moulding it should center without a problem...any comments
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Replacing the windshield on a 997 is pretty much like doing it on any other modern car, aside from there being perhaps a few more versions of the glass to cover the various vehicle options. In fact, if you go to your dealer to replace the glass they'll likely subcontract the job to a local glass installer. When I had my glass replaced after a chip split into a long crack before I could get it filled, Safelite came out with their truck and did the replacement on-site. They even used Porsche factory glass.
The following users liked this post:
Stephen Moss (03-14-2022)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

i would think so, but the presence of the antennae does provide a concern if installer is not too familiar with our luxury toys. is there a special socket that the glass comes with and installer simply pulls it off on removal and pushes it back in on installation of new glass. Chris were you able to watch how they did it? would appreciate your sharing.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I am not sure about the Porsche but i had a windshield replaced on ou MB E320 at home. That car has a rain sensor built into the glass ( actually mounted on the glass) and the connnection was simply unplugged and replugged onto the new windshield. I am guessing it is the same for the antennae?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my windshield replaced a few months ago and I didn't have any trouble finding a shop willing to do it. They used Porsche factory glass and it didn't look any different than any other car's windshield. There are little connectors (flat, ribbon connectors) on each side for the antennas which just plug in to sockets in the car
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine done. Made sure the shop had the "right stuff" as far as knowing how to rip my car apart () and not leave any evidence like scratches, gouges and whatever. They do a lot of messing with trim, plastic hardware and even the wiring next to the battery to perform the operation.

I can't believe the average shop will do our cars with the level of care we require. Most cars (even some nice ones) and their owners are utilitarian and are probably treated as such.

You just can't teach some technicians the appearance and value of perfection without attaching electrodes to shock to their body parts and repeating. Oh well. FWIW.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, I was chatting with the guys as they did the work and it looked like they knew exactly how to do it. And I inspected the glass before any of the work started (I've had defective glass before, so I always check replacement glass now).

They popped out two trim pieces that run down the A-pillars, used a socket wrench to remove the wiper arms and then the black plastic cowling under them. The scariest part is the power tool they use to remove the old glass, but they were careful not to nick the paint. The old sealer kinda just peeled out. Then they used a heat gun to lift the inspection and registration stickers and my ez-tag pass from the old glass to put on the new piece. Next, it was a simple bit of sealant from a heated kind of caulking gun, laid the new glass in and connected the antenna leads. A couple minutes to pop in the trim pieces and replace the cowling and wiper arms and the job was done. The whole thing took like 45 minutes and they even gave me a fresh can of the professional glass cleaner they use.

No leaks, no squeaks, and the radio works just fine.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure what's so special about it compared to other cars, but when I did the factory tour, the ONLY piece that was put on the car with a robot was the windshield!

Assembler would put the RIGHT glass on the slot (barcoded with right antena options for the car), then Robot applied the sealant and mounted the windshield. They said there needs to an *exact* amount of sealant applied evenly and an exact pressure when windshield is mounted to ensure it's mounted perfectly and humans couldn't do it perfectly all the time.
The following users liked this post:
Edgy01 (10-20-2020)
Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some time, the old rubber gasket does not tightly seal around the new windscreen. I would recommend a new rubber gasket around the windscreen every time you replace your windscreen.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexb76
Not sure what's so special about it compared to other cars, but when I did the factory tour, the ONLY piece that was put on the car with a robot was the windshield!

Assembler would put the RIGHT glass on the slot (barcoded with right antena options for the car), then Robot applied the sealant and mounted the windshield. They said there needs to an *exact* amount of sealant applied evenly and an exact pressure when windshield is mounted to ensure it's mounted perfectly and humans couldn't do it perfectly all the time.
The reason car companies began to use robots years ago to install windshields is that the adhesive/sealant was toxic. I am not sure about the toxicity these days but I am sure they have found that the it is, as you say, more accurate.

When I had the new windshield intalled in our MB I actually helped the guy lower it onto the car ( so easy even I can do it ) The real trick is getting the old one out wthout damaging the car ( interior or exterior).
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM
LlBr
Drifting

My guess? There's nothing mysterious about robots vs. humans as far as which is better safety- and structurally-wise. If there were, cars would be worth less at resale if they had a windshield replacement. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

More guessing: Once the OEM glass is "glued" in, with the proper, approved, tested and rated adhesive/sealant, which is applied properly, the glass does it's job as far as stiffening the car (or whatever) is concerned.

Porsche service manual for replacing a windshield is surprisingly complicated and lengthy. Special tools and detailed procedures for the adhesive removal and reapplication are involved. I saw it in person; it's like 15 pages.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LlBr
My guess? There's nothing mysterious about robots vs. humans as far as which is better safety- and structurally-wise. If there were, cars would be worth less at resale if they had a windshield replacement. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

More guessing: Once the OEM glass is "glued" in, with the proper, approved, tested and rated adhesive/sealant, which is applied properly, the glass does it's job as far as stiffening the car (or whatever) is concerned.

Porsche service manual for replacing a windshield is surprisingly complicated and lengthy. Special tools and detailed procedures for the adhesive removal and reapplication are involved. I saw it in person; it's like 15 pages.
That procedure may be followed in Germany but in the US the dealervery likely has a glass guy come in using their own standard procedure.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

anybody have a link to that service data so we can all have a basis to check whether a guy is doing it right or not?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fahrer
That procedure may be followed in Germany but in the US the dealervery likely has a glass guy come in using their own standard procedure.
In my case my dealer service has their local favorite glass shop whom they send cars to.

The independent glass shop they directed me to mostly does Ferrari, Bentley, RollsRoyce Porsche etc. (pictures everywhere).

That's where I saw the Porsche service manual instructions (in english )for my car.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by slicky rick
anybody have a link to that service data so we can all have a basis to check whether a guy is doing it right or not?
Before bringing your car in go there personally and ambush them. Ask them to show you the Porsche Service Manual instructions!

Otherwise some.., ahem...., "technician" is going to have to solve the procedural puzzle of exactly what to do and exactly when to do it. He might "go chimp" on your trim and hardware.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: what is so special with replacing windshield?