Sponsored by:

997.2 Third Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Porsche dumbed it down most likely because today's owners are **** excessive and don't understand what they're looking at other than higher is bad. When Porsche service centers started to get call after call about 'suspiciously high' coolant temps I suspect Porsche AG decided to 'pull the plug' on accurate reporting.

Years ago the oil temperature gauge (which was all we had) was spot on. Just be aware that your coolant temp is probably a lot closer to your oil temperature than you want to believe. There is no way your car is simply sitting at 175ºF during a hot summer drive. When my serpentine belt failed several months ago it took a bit but eventually (still driving) the lack of water pump movement caused my water temps to trigger the coolant gauge to kick up to about 245ºF. By then it's sort of useless. No damage was done, but the purpose of any analog gauge is to provide trending for the operator. If you can watch the trend of your coolant temperatures to climb but then go down when you have up shifted and are running at lower engine speeds then you can correlate engine speed with engine coolant temps. Without an accurate temperature gauge you are denied any insight into what is happening inside your engine--other than the oil temp gauge.

To get back to the original posting, I see no point in adding a third cooler if you don't really know what your coolant temperatures are today.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get an independent gauge and run the wires from the existing temperature sensors. Those are probably not dumbed down... its the display electronics that filter and smooth the sensor readings out.

That said, even on a 'hot' day, the air temperature is much less than the coolant temperature at operational temps, so the air is perfectly capable of cooling down the coolant via the radiators.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I had thought about that as well but sometimes borrowing off existing wires may not be the wisest thing to do--as complex as these puppies are today electronically.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsche dumbed it down most likely because today's owners are **** excessive and don't understand what they're looking at other than higher is bad. When Porsche service centers started to get call after call about 'suspiciously high' coolant temps I suspect Porsche AG decided to 'pull the plug' on accurate reporting.

Years ago the oil temperature gauge (which was all we had) was spot on. Just be aware that your coolant temp is probably a lot closer to your oil temperature than you want to believe. There is no way your car is simply sitting at 175ºF during a hot summer drive. When my serpentine belt failed several months ago it took a bit but eventually (still driving) the lack of water pump movement caused my water temps to trigger the coolant gauge to kick up to about 245ºF. By then it's sort of useless.
Ok, now I don't understand, are you saying that the temp gauge is NOT reactive enough to show higher temps? If it DID show temps at 245, then it was working, and when I start the car, the gauge starts cold and builds up temp after driving... so, are we talking sensetivity or what here?

Maybe the newer Porsches are built better with a closed system that radiator/water pump work dynamically to keep the temp steady at 175, and measures it at a point where it's away from hotter oil (after cool down). I also remember a lot more water temp variation in older cars (non Porsche) but since late 90s all cars I've owned had steady water temp.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

What I am stating is that the coolant gauge will rise to approx. 175ºF and then sit there, even if the actual temps climb to 200, 225ºF. If you get up to about 240-245ºF actual coolant temp the needle will quickly climb to just shy of the 250ºF mark to tell you it's really hot.

My complaint is that you will never get to see the analog needle slowly build up to 250--it will move quickly from the 175 mark to the 250 mark. Thus, its utility is substantially lessened.

We've had past discussions about what the true operating (coolant) temperature of the car is during normal operating conditions. The car does not run at 175ºF. It will be most likely around 192ºF. We just never see that.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

What I am stating is that the coolant gauge will rise to approx. 175ºF and then sit there, even if the actual temps climb to 200, 225ºF. If you get up to about 240-245ºF actual coolant temp the needle will quickly climb to just shy of the 250ºF mark to tell you it's really hot.

My complaint is that you will never get to see the analog needle slowly build up to 250--it will move quickly from the 175 mark to the 250 mark. Thus, its utility is substantially lessened.

We've had past discussions about what the true operating (coolant) temperature of the car is during normal operating conditions. The car does not run at 175ºF. It will be most likely around 192ºF. We just never see that.
Ok, I guess I need to go search the archives. I am just not 100% sure the analogy makes sense. It's not just Porsche, all closed circuit high pressure coolant systems now behave simiarly now.

Here's the way cooling works from wikipedia:
When the engine is cold the thermostat is closed, with a small bypass flow so that the thermostat experiences changes to the coolant temperature as the engine warms up. Coolant is directed by the thermostat to the inlet of the circulating pump and is returned directly to the engine, bypassing the radiator. Directing water to circulate only through the engine allows the temperature to reach optimum operating temperature as quickly as possible whilst avoiding localised "hot spots". Once the coolant reaches the thermostat's activation temperature it opens, allowing water to flow through the radiator to prevent the temperature rising higher.

Once at optimum temperature, the thermostat controls the flow of coolant to the radiator so that the engine continues to operate at optimum temperature. Under peak load conditions, such as labouring slowly up a steep hill whilst heavily laden on a hot day, the thermostat will be approaching fully open because the engine will be producing near to maximum power while the velocity of air flow across the radiator is low.

Conversely, when cruising fast downhill on a motorway on a cold night on a light throttle, the thermostat will be nearly closed because the engine is producing little power, and the radiator is able to dissipate much more heat than then engine is producing. Allowing too much flow of coolant to the radiator would result in the engine being over cooled and operating at lower than optimum temperature. A side effect of this would be that the passenger compartment heater would not be able to put out enough heat to keep the passengers warm.

The thermostat is therefore constantly moving throughout its range, responding to changes in vehicle operating load, speed and external temperature, to keep the engine at its optimum operating temperature.
So, could it be that the new cars do this process a lot more efficiently than before? and only when fully open thermostat cannot keep up with cooling the engine (or when water pump fails) our temps go higher? When my Audi was stock, I always had the temp in the middle, when it was chipped and turbos got hot during hot weather spells or on track, my water temp went above mid-line (cooling capacity of the car was not enough to handle extra heat caused by hotter turbos).

Just a theory...
Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get back to the original posting, I see no point in adding a third cooler if you don't really know what your coolant temperatures are today.
i don't understand how you think adding cooling capacity will not bring down the oil temp?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
jluff
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find the parts link on the Tequipment lists. Can you post a link to the parts?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it is interesting how some people don't trust the gauges. I must be naive and trusting, but I chalked it up to good engineering by Porsche. If I were designing the cooling system for a car, I would want to get up to optimum temperature quickly and then stay there. That's good process control. Unless I am mistaken, we have electric water pumps... Porsche would simply control the pumping rate (either proportional control or on/off) to control temperatures as desired. That's very easy to do and it makes sense from an operational standpoint, so I just don't see the reason to suspect our water temperature are somehow fake. Of course, the readings are buffered a bit so the gauge doesn't bounce around, but again that is normal (it might average over a period of a minute or so).

High oil temperatures seem to indicate the need for a larger oil cooler, but perhaps there is an oil-to-water heat exchanger, and if so then dropping the water temperatures would also reduce the oil temperature. I have no idea if such a heat exchanger exists in the 997.2, however.

It's also important to know where the temperatures are measured. I don't know, but I have opinions based on my observations. It seems that the oil temperature is measured at the oil cooler up front. I say this because it takes so long for the temperature to creep up. The oil in the engine gets hot faster, of course. As the oil near the engine heats up, more is pumped up to the oil cooler, and we see the temperature slowly rise. I could be wrong of course!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jluff
I can't seem to find the parts link on the Tequipment lists. Can you post a link to the parts?
i have the part numbers in my office, but the main one is 997 044 100 15. i have not seen it on the web anywhere, but my dealer found it in the system.

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
I think it is interesting how some people don't trust the gauges. I must be naive and trusting, but I chalked it up to good engineering by Porsche. If I were designing the cooling system for a car, I would want to get up to optimum temperature quickly and then stay there. That's good process control. Unless I am mistaken, we have electric water pumps... Porsche would simply control the pumping rate (either proportional control or on/off) to control temperatures as desired. That's very easy to do and it makes sense from an operational standpoint, so I just don't see the reason to suspect our water temperature are somehow fake. Of course, the readings are buffered a bit so the gauge doesn't bounce around, but again that is normal (it might average over a period of a minute or so).

High oil temperatures seem to indicate the need for a larger oil cooler, but perhaps there is an oil-to-water heat exchanger, and if so then dropping the water temperatures would also reduce the oil temperature. I have no idea if such a heat exchanger exists in the 997.2, however.

It's also important to know where the temperatures are measured. I don't know, but I have opinions based on my observations. It seems that the oil temperature is measured at the oil cooler up front. I say this because it takes so long for the temperature to creep up. The oil in the engine gets hot faster, of course. As the oil near the engine heats up, more is pumped up to the oil cooler, and we see the temperature slowly rise. I could be wrong of course!
i think the key here is that the water temp gauge sort of has 3 positions - cold, normal, "oops, HOT!" it is buffered to stay in those three zones, i think.

the water is cooled by the front rads, the oil cooler is on top of the engine in the back. the oil cooler is cooled by air and water. i'm adding capacity to the energy the water can take from the oil cooler.
Attached Images   
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I stand corrected. Is the oil cooler shown here with the big red dot? (I added the red dot). This looks like an oil-to-water heat exchanger, and if that is how the oil is cooled, then lowering the coolant temperature would have a direct impact on the oil temperature.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

What you have highlighted is the oil reservoir, on a 997 turbo engine. (A part of the dry-sump lubrication system). If you have a 997 you will not have that part.

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-07-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

What you have highlighted is the oil reservoir, on a 997 turbo engine. (A part of the dry-sump lubrication system). If you have a 997 you will not have that part.
not sure why we're still talking about whether increasing the cooling with help reduce oil temps since it's rather obvious, but here's more documentation. i disagree that we need a quantitative water temperature to justify increasing the cooling to a car that's running hot.
Attached Images   
Attached Images
Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

adding central rad is a no brainer IMHO
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts