Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997.2 Third Radiator (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/588523-997-2-third-radiator.html)

brendo 08-31-2010 09:13 PM

997.2 Third Radiator

My 2009 C2S is running a bit hot on hot days at the track. it's up around 275-280 degrees oil temp. i've blown out the rads and made sure there is no debris and i'm running no A/C. fluid levels are good. In any regard, this seems a little hot to me, despite Porsche telling me it's OK.

my understanding is that the 2011 PDKs have a third radiator. after some research, I found a 3rd radiator for the car that's on the tequipment parts list (997 044 100 15). all parts come to about $400-500 roughly.

any thoughts from others on:
  • do you see similar temps on the track?
  • more info on the 2011s
  • links to 997.2 grill screens (my searches here show many links to 997.1 screens, but not the newer version)? a center radiator will be more vulnerable than the side rads, IMO
  • other things i may have missed?

thanks much,

Brendo

mdrums 09-01-2010 12:45 AM

Yes I see these same or higher temps in the summer on the track. I looked into this mod and would get it if I was keeping my car.

Edgy01 09-01-2010 01:12 AM

What coolant temps are you actually seeing?

brendo 09-01-2010 05:24 AM

water temps are good, oil temps are high, 280+ for me

f4 plt 09-01-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mdrums (Post 7861818)
Yes I see these same or higher temps in the summer on the track. I looked into this mod and would get it if I was keeping my car.

What are you upgrading to?

Jack

slicky rick 09-01-2010 08:08 AM

if the water temps are good would a third radiator help? if it was an oil cooler i would think there would be benefits but if it will be connected in series with the coolant system no drastic change...just my guess.

brendo 09-01-2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by f4 plt (Post 7862093)
What are you upgrading to?

Jack

there is a "super-hot country" option for hte 997.2 it includes a 3rd rad for the front and alternative wheel wells that apparently increase ventilation.

"super-hot country" is the porsche term, not mine :p

i'll get you some pics when the parts start coming in. again, it's pretty straightforward from an ordering POV, we'll see about the install. it's plumbing basically.

on the oil/ water cooling question, i'm not sure. it seems like there's more integration of cooling efforts than are obvious. retrospecitively, this would make sense considering the oil-cooled engines that lasted so long.

f4 plt 09-01-2010 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by brendo (Post 7863174)
there is a "super-hot country" option for hte 997.2 it includes a 3rd rad for the front and alternative wheel wells that apparently increase ventilation.

"super-hot country" is the porsche term, not mine :p

i'll get you some pics when the parts start coming in. again, it's pretty straightforward from an ordering POV, we'll see about the install. it's plumbing basically.

on the oil/ water cooling question, i'm not sure. it seems like there's more integration of cooling efforts than are obvious. retrospecitively, this would make sense considering the oil-cooled engines that lasted so long.

My comment was in reference to Mdrums comment that he was not keepin his current car and I wondered what he had planned as a replacement

Edgy01 09-01-2010 03:51 PM

The unfortunate element here is that your oil temps are probably closer to your coolant temps than you realize. (How can two fluids in close proximity to each other be vastly different?) I am guessing that your oil temp gauge is reporting 280+ and your coolant says 175?

Someone is lying--and it's your dumbed down coolant gauge.

Minok 09-01-2010 04:31 PM

I'd think if your coolant temps are fine, then adding more coolant cooling capacity won't do much for you.

I'd think the coolant cools the oil indirectly via the coolants job of cooling the engine, but I'd expect the coolant to run hotter on a hot day under hard load as well. If just the oil is running too hot, its an oil question, not a coolant question, no?

We have two different temp gauges (oil, coolant) because the two are not identical and measured in close proximity to each other.

slicky rick 09-01-2010 06:30 PM

those in the side that a third coolant radiator wont help too much make sense but the next question is why do the 2011's all have it as standard affair???

mdrums 09-01-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 7861874)
What coolant temps are you actually seeing?

Excellent question Dan as I really have no idea since the water temp gauge in our Porsches are really just fake gauges that do not read higher than 175

Edgy01 09-02-2010 01:46 AM

I have seen the coolant gauge higher--but WAY higher when it's too late to do much. They dumbed it down to the point that it is a binary gauge--and no longer useful as a WARNING gauge of damaging heat.

mdrums 09-02-2010 02:30 AM

Dan yeah it's pretty dumbed down...mine never moves from 175 degrees from street to track. I would think there is something on the market that might read the true water temp through the OBDII port. I've never really looked into it though.

alexb76 09-02-2010 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by mdrums (Post 7865009)
Dan yeah it's pretty dumbed down...mine never moves from 175 degrees from street to track. I would think there is something on the market that might read the true water temp through the OBDII port. I've never really looked into it though.

and WHY is it dumb down? Pretty much all of my modern German cars have had a very steady water temp right in the middle!

I've only seen my Water temp go higher in my Audi when I was tracking it, but it was chipped car with more boost than designed.