Sponsored by:

Post-purchase surveys -- three and counting

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Post-purchase surveys -- three and counting

I have recently received several surveys about my new car. (I took delivery in the spring.) They can't all be from Porsche and none of them seem to be very Porsche specific. So far, in the interest of protecting my privacy, I have not returned any of them.

My suspicion is that they are fishing (or phishing) using public data generated when I registered the car.

Obviously, having information -- or even the email address -- of someone who can afford to buy an expensive car is a valuable bit of data. But I wonder if one or more of these surveys is legitimate. And what they are really seeking?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased mine in the spring as well, however the one survey I did receive was PCNA specific, that was all. If it is not directly from PCNA I would question it as well.

Good catch on your part, it's amazing how much information people are providing w/o knowing the background or how it all adds up eventually.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember getting several of those. Some I trashed, and some I completed and returned.

Do you recognize any of the survey senders as generally known car info companies that provide the public (even the paying public) with car data? Usually they provide a cover letter that explains the purpose of the survey and how your data will be used. I usually complete and return those that I recognize because I sometimes use their data myself. Thus, I'm happy to help Consumers Reports because I'm a subscriber. I'd also complete surveys for PAG, PNA, or my Porsche dealer. You can always omit any personal information that you don't want them to know. I always leave the "Have you stopped beating your wife?" question blank.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i got 2 surveys, got 10$ for one and the other never heard back from them, all the info wasnt personal besides name and address that they clearly already had so i didnt find it being a problem.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

I think JD Power used to survey all new car buys over a certain threshold ($60k ?).
Porsche has done really well in the initial quality studies in the last couple of years.
I must be on the "patsy" list; I get these surveys all the time.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Surveys are crap. Only the people really happy or really pissed off answer them.

When my wife bought her car, the dealer offered her a free oil change if she would return the manufacturer's survey in person to the dealer. She was very critical of the dealer in the survey, and they tore it up in front of her and happily gave her a certificate for a free oil change. Needless to say, after that free oil change, all of our service was done at another dealer that was further away.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I got $75 for one, after emailing them and asking for my check.
Sorry, I don't remember the name, they had promised that amount for completing the survey.

Quick Reply: Post-purchase surveys -- three and counting