Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bilstein's, lowering and fender rub, oh my...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default bilstein's, lowering and fender rub, oh my...

i will be putting car in the shop for bilstein's this week and i have a concern about fender rub. shop says car will be lowered about an inch from stock after upgrade. i believe my stock wheels are 8" ET57 / 11" ET67 and are the ones i run on the track. i dont think these will be a problem. however, my street wheels are OZ and are 8.5" ET53 / 11" ET65 which means, according to an online calculator, that the fronts stick out 10mm (and inboard 2mm) and rears stick out 2mm (but less 2mm inboard) vs stock.

FYI, all wheels are 19". all fronts are 235/35. BUT all rears are 305/30 (which, since stock rear is 295, already extends outboard and inboard an extra 5mm each, i would assume?)

for those of you who have lowered, did you have any probs with fender rub? can anyone tell just from the #'s above if you think i will have an issue? or does anyone know the limits to where a car can be lowered without causing a problem?

btw, just from looking at the car, the shop says there "most likely wont be a problem" at all, but with my luck...

thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 344 Posts

Can't answer your question, sorry, but i see you're in MD. What shop are you using? TPC Racing is in Jessup MD and they know as much about suspension as anyone. They are 24hr of Daytona winners.

I have their stage 3 suspension on my car and they were great to deal with.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E55AMG
What shop are you using? TPC Racing is in Jessup MD and they know as much about suspension as anyone. They are 24hr of Daytona winners.

I have their stage 3 suspension on my car and they were great to deal with.
the very same - dropping car off thurs. already had their sways and now getting stage 3. yep, best guys in the biz as far as i'm concerned. and like i said, they are pretty sure it will work, just thought i'd throw the question out there to see if anyone else could ease my mind.

so, how was the diff betw stock and stage 3...night and day?
Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
the very same - dropping car off thurs. already had their sways and now getting stage 3. yep, best guys in the biz as far as i'm concerned. and like i said, they are pretty sure it will work, just thought i'd throw the question out there to see if anyone else could ease my mind.

so, how was the diff betw stock and stage 3...night and day?
night and day is an understatement
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol good to hear you both are enjoying your cars..

Spiffy, dont worry about the fender rubbing.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

no problems,

i have 9+45 12+56 on 245 and 325 tires and lowered 2.5" and fine,

when lowering your concern is the INSIDE of the wheels as lowering the car pulls the wheels in cause the uneven suspension links... your inside clearance on stock wheels is about 1" which is fine, the aftermarket wheels are lower offsets so have 2-3mm more room than stocks.

if you add camber you might run into issues but just lowering and going back to stock alignment or close you are fine.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E55AMG
night and day is an understatement
exactly what i expect when i get the car back (but hearing it from others doesnt hurt my optimism, thanks!)

Originally Posted by rijowysock
no problems,

i have 9+45 12+56 on 245 and 325 tires and lowered 2.5" and fine,

when lowering your concern is the INSIDE of the wheels as lowering the car pulls the wheels in cause the uneven suspension links... your inside clearance on stock wheels is about 1" which is fine, the aftermarket wheels are lower offsets so have 2-3mm more room than stocks.

if you add camber you might run into issues but just lowering and going back to stock alignment or close you are fine.
unsure how much more camber TPC will add in addition to what the car will get simply from lowering it.

but ok, either way, i'm sold - "it will work out just fine!" they know what theyre doing and all will be well. breathe breathe...

Quick Reply: bilstein's, lowering and fender rub, oh my...