997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my build

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010 | 02:27 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

So I tried pulling up a 3-D view with the center console, and then ditching the console for gear trim and door finishers. I think I like the second better, but in both I think the seat belts add a nice accent - its just hard to visualize them in use vs. hanging by the side.
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2010 | 03:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Perhaps not you, but some people (including maintenance workers) can do a job on light colored seat belts.
Old 08-23-2010 | 07:32 AM
morecarl
Rennlist Member

Since you're in GA and it can get pretty warm at times - have you considered the ventilated seats? I sat in a Cayenne with the ventilated seats last week and they were amazing.
Old 08-23-2010 | 09:15 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Basically looks great - very similar to my "minimal build". I only went with things that I felt offered "performance" benefits, with a few "creature comforts".

Didn't order with OEM SSK, but Huntington had a special for $299 and added it. For about 1k miles it was "too tight", but after some time and a few track days it became "perfect". Much like the shifter in my GT3, but with a slightly softer "return" spring.

I'd can the PSE. Expensive, heavy, and just a "loud button". You can certainly do a SharkWerks primary delete and it won't impact warranty (most dealers will install it for you and confirm that - it's just an X pipe, not like it's internal). I had a PSE type exhaust in my 997.1 GT3 and didn't like it at all. Had a mind of its own. With the SharkWerks bypass I can keep it tame in town by keeping the revs down, but what a nice deeper tone / burble.

I never saw any value in "full leather".

Not sure what 911 Model Designation is. I did Model Delete to save 2 ounces I just never liked anything on the back - wax / bug / leaf trap and who cares what people behind me read on the back of my car?

I did the 022 Black Dials - gave it a more classic dash look, easier for me to read day and night.

Never liked deviated stitching / red belts / painted parts (or Carbon Fiber for that matter). I stick with the more subtle (and again, don't see the value in paying for different color stitching / belts that already come with the car).

Might consider the $140 or whatever it is now for the OEM fire extinguisher - that's a pretty cool thing that adds to the Sport Seats and one never knows when you might need it (ie: PCA DE).

I see Sat Radio, but what about Universal Audio? I like having my 8 GB chip plugged in to have my i-tunes library handy via the PCM.
Old 08-23-2010 | 11:41 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Perhaps not you, but some people (including maintenance workers) can do a job on light colored seat belts.
Are you saying you consider the red belts "light colored"? I'm having trouble imagining what the potential problems would be.

Originally Posted by morecarl
Since you're in GA and it can get pretty warm at times - have you considered the ventilated seats? I sat in a Cayenne with the ventilated seats last week and they were amazing.
I wanted the ventilated seats, but you can't pick that option with the sport seats - not sure why.

Originally Posted by RonCT
Didn't order with OEM SSK, but Huntington had a special for $299 and added it. For about 1k miles it was "too tight", but after some time and a few track days it became "perfect". Much like the shifter in my GT3, but with a slightly softer "return" spring.

I'd can the PSE. Expensive, heavy, and just a "loud button". You can certainly do a SharkWerks primary delete and it won't impact warranty (most dealers will install it for you and confirm that - it's just an X pipe, not like it's internal). I had a PSE type exhaust in my 997.1 GT3 and didn't like it at all. Had a mind of its own. With the SharkWerks bypass I can keep it tame in town by keeping the revs down, but what a nice deeper tone / burble.

Not sure what 911 Model Designation is.

Might consider the $140 or whatever it is now for the OEM fire extinguisher - that's a pretty cool thing that adds to the Sport Seats and one never knows when you might need it (ie: PCA DE).

I see Sat Radio, but what about Universal Audio? I like having my 8 GB chip plugged in to have my i-tunes library handy via the PCM.
I may reconsider the shifter and exhaust. I just know what I'm getting with the PSE and worry about living with aftermarket without being able to test drive it (plus, being able to plug the PSE back in for long trips was nice). I wonder if I could find anyone in Atlanta with the Sharkwerks pipe.

911 model designation is removing "Carrera S" and replacing it with "911". I will look into the extinguisher - hadn't thought about that. Universal Audio, as noted above, is standard.
Old 08-23-2010 | 11:57 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I'm sure there are guys in your area with the SharkWerks bypass - if anything you can email Alex and ask him. I'm very particular and found it to be "just right" without any needs for plugs, buttons, etc. (plus the $1750 savings goes a long way).
Old 08-23-2010 | 12:06 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Default My $0.02 worth

I love the deviating stitching but would second Dan's comments on it not being complete around the shifter in that picture.
I also believe that a painted center consol works well in insolation, these pictures from my '00 Boxster with full leather.
Full leather is one thing I miss in my '06 Carrera. I'd get full leather over SSK & Sport Exhaust any day. The latter can be added cheaper at any stage.

PS I'll take that picture with the child seats in my Carrrera tonight - completetly forgot.
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2010 | 12:09 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I think the seat belts add a nice accent - its just hard to visualize them in use vs. hanging by the side.
Here's some help..., uh..., "visualizing" how they hang vs in use.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2010 | 02:02 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
I'm sure there are guys in your area with the SharkWerks bypass - if anything you can email Alex and ask him. I'm very particular and found it to be "just right" without any needs for plugs, buttons, etc. (plus the $1750 savings goes a long way).
Very true - I just emailed them asking for someone in the area with an install.

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I love the deviating stitching but would second Dan's comments on it not being complete around the shifter in that picture.
I also believe that a painted center consol works well in insolation, these pictures from my '00 Boxster with full leather.
Full leather is one thing I miss in my '06 Carrera. I'd get full leather over SSK & Sport Exhaust any day. The latter can be added cheaper at any stage.

PS I'll take that picture with the child seats in my Carrrera tonight - completetly forgot.
How do you ensure the shifter has the correct stitching? I didn't see an option for it. I think I agree about the console - alone, it looks good; with other bits, it looks overwhelming. I didn't paint other trim pieces when I had yellow, so I think that may be the difference.

Thanks for the picture!

Originally Posted by LlBr
Where is she on the option list?
Old 08-23-2010 | 02:13 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Originally Posted by LlBr

That particular option may end up costing you more than the car itself in the long run .

I have to say it no doubt provides a great "driving experience"
Old 08-23-2010 | 02:20 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Painted rear center console is "too much" in my eyes. For bringing a splash of the exterior into the cabin (cockpit?) I prefer the painted gear shift trim. I find it to be a lot less overwhelming. Still, it's just a matter of taste...

Old 08-23-2010 | 02:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I just know what I'm getting with the PSE and worry about living with aftermarket without being able to test drive it (plus, being able to plug the PSE back in for long trips was nice). I wonder if I could find anyone in Atlanta with the Sharkwerks pipe.
I think that's a really good point. I've had aftermarket exhaust systems that sounded fine in the short term but living with them every day and on long trips especially was an issue. Trying to control the sound with the accelerator wasn't a practical solution for me. That's why I went with the PSE; it never drones or resonates (in a bad way), sounds great under all conditions, and there's always that mute switch.

Even so, relying on subjective opinions from other people (me included; oh yeah PSE sounds great!) can be suspect especially when you consider the bizarre things that people can do to their cars and think they are wonderful. Well, maybe they are to them, but they might not be to you. You are wise to hear what you are getting into with an aftermarket exhaust, and hopefully get a chance to experience it under different driving conditions before you decide. My $.02.
Old 08-23-2010 | 02:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I found it - it was Coochas' orange Turbo. I think his interior is very classy with nice splashes of color so I may compare that to what I was thinking and add/delete some items from my build.
It's been about a year and a half since I got my Super Pumpkin and I still love the interior just as much. As others have said, it's a matter of personal taste. I do think that when you start down the deviated stitching and painted interior bits road that you have to be careful not to over do it. Then again, one man's trash is another man's treasure! So enjoy and do what you want.

If you go the deviated route, make sure you and your dealer triple check that you've checked all the necessary options so that you don't end up with some standard stitching here and there. I believe these are still:
24905 - Rear Side Panel Dev.Stitching
24904 - Dev.Stitching Side Centr Cnsl
24903 - Door Handle Stitching Dev.Clr.
24902 - Door Stitching in Dev. Color
24901 - Dashboard Stitching Dev. Color
24891 - Stitching F/R seats Dev. Color
09991 - All Excl.Opt Stitch Dev Color
Old 08-23-2010 | 03:27 PM
Kuhan
Racer

The one thing I would add to my 997 is the full leather. It's relatively cheap but makes the car stand-out from all the others. Rarely do cars come with leather dash etc.

Deviated stitching looks great to my eyes but adding it to all the bits to make it look consistent may be very expensive. A lot of money for thread... Of course, if you get a silver car, the stitching will already be deviated
Old 08-23-2010 | 05:05 PM
Minok
Drifting

I'd think all that interior red may be a bit loud (for my taste).

Not having NAV installed could be an issue down the road as its not something that can be added after the fact if you ever change your mind or ever sell the car.

Quick Reply: Critique my build