Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche has my 911 and won't give it back!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 PM
artvandelay
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche has my 911 and won't give it back!

I've been a long-time (if infrequent) lurker and could really use the wisdom of this board to help me with my current situation. So, my 2005 911 has spent roughly 50% of the last 3-4 months in service at the dealership for the same problem - including the last 5 straight weeks! There is a problem with the car running roughly (doing a full side-to-side shudder when first started in the morning), a ongoing loss of power at all times (feels like it's operating at 80-90%) and the check engine light coming on after a short period of driving.

So far, the dealership has been unable to isolate the issue and fix the problem. They've tried a lot of things: replaced the spark plugs, engine coils, wiring harness, DME, and probably a few other things. The problem is that they're doing this all piecemeal to find the issue (i.e., they fix 1 thing, give me back the car, I drive it for a week, the check engine light comes back on), which I understand from their point of view as they want to do this as cost-effectively as possible, but it feels like it's been dragged out to the point of absurdity - many of my friends think I've traded in my 911 as they don't see it anymore (I've come to realize a base Cayenne is not a very good replacement for our cars!). The other frustrating part of this is that I know the car is not being garaged indoors when at the dealer - the last time I got it back it was covered it tree sap.

PCNA is involved in this but this hasn't really sped things along as I hoped it would. They did however provide some financial compensation for the fact that I haven't had my car for a prolonged duration - a generous and thoughtful offer, but ultimately would be much happier with quick resolution of this issue.

So, my question for all of you, is what would you do in this situation? Has anyone else had a similar experience to lend any insight as to how to proceed? I'm not really looking for troubleshooting of what might be wrong with the car, as if it's taken the dealership this long to figure out I'm sure it's too complicated for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presumably you're not paying for this service so it's under warranty?

It sounds like you have a legitimate claim under lemon law.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this an extended warranty situation? Or OOP?

Warranty should give you a 'new' engine, IMO. Otherwise it's a lemon law thing? I dunno.

Get an atty to call the dealership, that might loosen things up.

Sorry to hear this.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds Lemony fresh to me.

Start talking to PCNA about getting you out of this car.

Good luck.

Phil
Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've certainly given Porsche amble time to correct the problem, and have been without your 911 far too long.

I sued under the Lemon Law on a boat. It was relatively easy, attorney took no money up front and got me back everything++++, and I mean PLUS, even getting me a nice chunk of the truck I bought to tow the boat with. The whole process was pretty cut and dry, it went to arbitration quickly, and I can only imagine it would be a lot easier with a car since the boating industry is shady at best.

I wouldn't waste any time dealing with PCNA. Your attorney will deal with everything including the finance company if applicable, and get you EVERYTHING back+, something PCNA, and the dealer are just not going to do.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:27 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by artvandelay
I've been a long-time (if infrequent) lurker
Are you Art VanDelay of VanDelay Industries?

Latex, right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Phil
Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am surprised you have been so patient and havent asked what Phil is suggesting. You need to get rid of it, and they can then experiment with it as long as they want!
If it is covered in sap, I wonder how often they work on it...
Good luck!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Latex, right?

Phil
Ah, the days of Seinfeld . . .

To the OP: They have had enough time. Lemon Law that baby!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
nedino
Advanced

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Latex, right?

Phil
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Lemons.

They grow on trees around here. Taste good when you add fresh water and sugar.

I would have made lemonade a while ago. Depending on where you live it's relatively easy. Go for it.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Can you disclose which dealer is that?

Regards,
Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM
artvandelay
5th Gear

Guys, thanks for the all of the responses. Guess it has hit me over the head that I've been much too patient on this (and frankly, I've just been too busy at work to properly deal with it). To answer one of the questions, this is on a Porsche extended warranty, so yes they have been covering the costs. The funny thing is that the case manager at PCNA won't even return my calls right now...I've been trying to reach her since Monday of last week. Guess the only option is to find a good attorney.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by artvandelay
Guys, thanks for the all of the responses. Guess it has hit me over the head that I've been much too patient on this (and frankly, I've just been too busy at work to properly deal with it). To answer one of the questions, this is on a Porsche extended warranty, so yes they have been covering the costs. The funny thing is that the case manager at PCNA won't even return my calls right now...I've been trying to reach her since Monday of last week. Guess the only option is to find a good attorney.
Not returning phone calls is the last straw, call a lawyer and put the throttle down.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 PM
racer
Drifting

Its August, perhaps the case manager is on vacation? Anyways, sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Seems like a "lemon" issue, but I don't know how lemon laws work in YOUR state.. especially on a used car. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
INCONEL
Intermediate

I'm not sure how easy it will be to Lemon Law a 5 year old car, but good luck

http://www.ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

"Coverage For Vehicles That Are Not "New"

Although the special provisions discussed above apply to new motor vehicles, Song-Beverly has many general rules that apply to any consumer product sold with an express written warranty. As a result, there is important coverage for motorcycles, the living quarters of a mobile home, used vehicles sold with a dealer's express written warranty, "lemon" vehicles repurchased by the manufacturer and sold to consumers with an express written warranty covering the defect, and vehicles sold with a service contract.

A full description of warranty rights is beyond the scope of this message, but you should be aware that coverage is not identical to the coverage for new motor vehicles. For example, a warrantor who is unable to conform a consumer product to its express warranty within a reasonable number of attempts is required to replace the goods or refund the purchase price less an amount attributable to the consumer's use. Unlike the special rules on new motor vehicles, however, there is no set formula for determining the charge for the consumer's use before the discovery of the defect, and the Lemon Law presumption does not apply.

For complete advice concerning your legal rights, you should consult your own attorney."

Quick Reply: Porsche has my 911 and won't give it back!