Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Great news Kuhan!!! Karma's a good thing. HAHA

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Oh yes! Wife and I were already talking about what we have to cut back on this Christmas so that we would have enough to pay for the worst case repair (new engine).

The service guy said that there is no evidence of damage from the over-revs, for example valves hitting the piston etc. He seems to think that with the lifter repair, the car will be fine and there's nothing else to worry about. The oil is clean and there's no other evidence of damage.

I'm going to get a print-out of the DME to see how bad it was. If it shows a lot of abuse, I will talk to the dealer I bought the car from - they basically refused to give me a DME read-out but also convinced me that Porsche would not CPO the car if it had over-revs. Now I'm not so sure...
Any reputable dealer should provide you with the dme scan - they might want to charge you some labor to do it but they shouldn't refuse to do so. The CPO checklist does ask inspector "to retrieve and record any range 2 or higher readings" - interesting that this request is in the "pass/fail" section of vehicle history maintenance but while the other questions are checked either pass/fail, this one is checked yes/no - overrevs probably do disqualify a CPO but it looks like it might only be if there are range 2 or higher. A missed shift probably got you into the higher ranges that's why it would be informative for you to get the dme scan. BTW - very pleased for you that the damage was limited and that the warranty will pick it up.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Any reputable dealer should provide you with the dme scan - they might want to charge you some labor to do it but they shouldn't refuse to do so. The CPO checklist does ask inspector "to retrieve and record any range 2 or higher readings" - interesting that this request is in the "pass/fail" section of vehicle history maintenance but while the other questions are checked either pass/fail, this one is checked yes/no - overrevs probably do disqualify a CPO but it looks like it might only be if there are range 2 or higher. A missed shift probably got you into the higher ranges that's why it would be informative for you to get the dme scan. BTW - very pleased for you that the damage was limited and that the warranty will pick it up.
I agree, it is very odd. When I did my PMI they did not give me last 2 pages of it as it contained some info they suggest is propitiatory for car owner only but they did give me pages with overrevs data and owner later gave me rest of the report.
glad everything worked out well, but even in worst case - it is only money. no reason to cry over it.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I love a story with a happy ending. Best of luck with your 911
Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"i love it when a plan comes together."
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad that it's working out this way. Bring a couple of dozen donuts in for the shop when you pick up the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Money Shift