Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Apparently there is an aftermarket diagnostic tool that connects to the car that claims to erase whatever history the operator wants to erase.

This was discussed in a thread on either the 996 GT3 or 997 GT3 forum 1-2 years ago.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You appear to think that PCNA does not follow these forums.
No ****.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to lie/cheat/steal. I'm better than that.

I made a mistake and I'll pay the price - how else will I learn from it?

It's a single incident that occured and if they say the car was abused and the over-revs were for a significant time - e.g. more than a couple of seconds - then I know it wasn't me and it was the previous owner. If that's the case, Porsche should not have CPO'd the car.

All I want is to be treated fairly.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan

It's a single incident that occured and if they say the car was abused and the over-revs were for a significant time - e.g. more than a couple of seconds - then I know it wasn't me and it was the previous owner. If that's the case, Porsche should not have CPO'd the car.

Kuhan, you have a good attitude and ethics. Good job.

Based on the operating hours and time stamps, you will be able to easily tell if the last over-rev was yours or the prior owner's. This is why buyers need to do a DME dump/report when doing a PPI.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Apparently there is an aftermarket diagnostic tool that connects to the car that claims to erase whatever history the operator wants to erase.

This was discussed in a thread on either the 996 GT3 or 997 GT3 forum 1-2 years ago.
If there is such a tool then it's a well-kept secret - any additional info?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

the claw or backhand is the essential technique for any shifting above 3rd. We had to do this in our old E36 M3, which had soft tranny mounts and suffered from 5-2 downshifts often on board posts. I works well in any car.

Sorry about the damage. What is the normal redline in the nonS carrera like yours?

Keep us posted, hopefully the short block is OK

JO
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

It's refreshing to see someone else who thinks like this. Kudos Kuhan.

It's a car and it's only money. Nice to see some ethics!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Kuhan
Racer

The problem is the lifter and something to do with the "poppet not seating" which caused the ticking. Nothing else is wrong with the engine. It'll be fixed under warranty and I should have my car back in a few days.

Looks like it's my turn for some good karma & Porsche have another customer for life.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

^
Excellent, well done to you for the stand and for your dealer.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 PM
henrysko
Instructor

Glad all things worked out well.

Regards, Henry.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like it's my turn for some good karma
You deserve it. Congrats.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

phhheeewwwww glad to hear. that must be a relief!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Great news!

Did the do a readout of the DME for the rev ranges?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by dianic
phhheeewwwww glad to hear. that must be a relief!
Oh yes! Wife and I were already talking about what we have to cut back on this Christmas so that we would have enough to pay for the worst case repair (new engine).

The service guy said that there is no evidence of damage from the over-revs, for example valves hitting the piston etc. He seems to think that with the lifter repair, the car will be fine and there's nothing else to worry about. The oil is clean and there's no other evidence of damage.

I'm going to get a print-out of the DME to see how bad it was. If it shows a lot of abuse, I will talk to the dealer I bought the car from - they basically refused to give me a DME read-out but also convinced me that Porsche would not CPO the car if it had over-revs. Now I'm not so sure...
Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

The problem is the lifter and something to do with the "poppet not seating" which caused the ticking. Nothing else is wrong with the engine. It'll be fixed under warranty and I should have my car back in a few days.

Looks like it's my turn for some good karma & Porsche have another customer for life.
Lifter collapsing or a zero-lash adjuster failing to maintain zero-lash early on is not unknown. No overrevs are necessary for this to happen.

Poppet not seating is a bit odd. If I grok the lingo poppet is valve and a valve not seating can be due to, well, can be due to an overrev that allowed the valve and piston to make contact. This contact bends the valve head and it no longer seals gas tight. If an exhaust value it will almost certainly burn.

An intake valve may not burn -- intake valves run cooler than exhaust valves -- but a non-sealing intake valve lets some combustion pressure out into the intake and this can make a noise that could match the noise you heard.

If this is the case you are very lucky. It doesn't take much of valve to piston contact to have the head come off a valve (or valves...) and then disaster follows.

Of course a valve not seating or developing a bad seating and a bad seal can have other causes as well. A piece of combustion chamber deposit can break loose and lodge between valve and its seat and prevent the valve from closing properly. If an exhaust valve it doesn't take much time for the valve to burn and even if the material then abrades away the valve no longer seats properly.

The good news is that the problems are not severe and the engine will be as good as new after the repairs and the new car warranty is covering the cost of the repairs.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Money Shift