that is very sad.

I hope they are wrong and car is ok.

Good luck sorting it out.

John
Old 08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Kuhan, ask them for a print out off the DME, and post the result here for the 6 different over-rev ranges and the number of ignitions in each (they are also time stamped based on operating engine hours). You will not be drawing their attention to this data, they are already looking at it too.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Update: I started the car with the door open and heard a ticking noise. It's coming from the right rear so I went straight to Porsche. They are going to look into it but suspect it's a "valve lifter".

I'm dreading the call telling me that warranty is not going to cover it and how much the bill will be.

I better start saving...
Try to relax. You may have heard the noise cause this is the first you really listened for it. The noise might have been there for a while. These engines are noisy for obvious reasons even if they are in good health.

Even if the noise is real, it might not be due to the overrevs. I know of a new 996 that developed a noise like you describe shortly after the owner drove the car off the lot. The lifter collapsed. Stuff happens, especially to new stuff -- that's why there is a 4 year, 50K mile warranty -- and not all of it is the driver's fault.

Do not be so quick to assume responsibility just because of the overrevs. Let the dealer make the case against you. How can the dealer say the noise would not have happened?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer called and they are talking to Porsche NA about who is going to pick up the tab. They said that the over-revs were recorded as high as 8,400 for a sustained time. They won't actually see what's wrong until they have responsibility sorted - then I'll find out if I have to pay and how much it's likely to be.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:27 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealer called and they are talking to Porsche NA about who is going to pick up the tab. They said that the over-revs were recorded as high as 8,400 for a sustained time. They won't actually see what's wrong until they have responsibility sorted - then I'll find out if I have to pay and how much it's likely to be.
Ouch!

I doubt Porsche is picking up the tab on this one. Why would they? The motor was abused.

Sorry Kuhan, this really blows.

Phil
Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I just realized that it's only money. It's not like I'm losing a limb or an eye...

Something I shouldn't worry about. Sure, it's going to be painful but only in the wallet.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great attitude! It's a machine that can be fixed.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

What did they say is wrong...what repairs are needed?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What did they say is wrong...what repairs are needed?
I just got another call and Porsche won't make a decision on the warranty repair until they know what's wrong. They need to do a teardown to find the issues which is $2400 so I said to go ahead.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm paying for it anyway so I'm not going to worry about it - I just want my car repaired.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I just got another call and Porsche won't make a decision on the warranty repair until they know what's wrong. They need to do a teardown to find the issues which is $2400 so I said to go ahead.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm paying for it anyway so I'm not going to worry about it - I just want my car repaired.
Good luck - sounds as if Porsche thinks there's a problem - have they offered you any ideas on what might be wrong? What issues are they hoping to identify?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

I'd make sure they inspect the gearbox as well. It would suck to get it all back together again and have that go out shortly there after.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Good luck - sounds as if Porsche thinks there's a problem - have they offered you any ideas on what might be wrong? What issues are they hoping to identify?
The service manager thinks it's just the top end and said that would be about $2k to fix. But he said he was just shooting from the hip - who knows what they'll find.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't spend any more money than required. If the gear box goes, it's under warranty. It's very unusual for a box to go because of a measly 8400RPM over rev.

To the OP: You probably have a good case for warranty repair if you haven't hurt your chances by telling them about the incident. I'm not suggesting you lie, but I wouldn't openly have given them a reason to deny you warranty.

I've seen dealers/PCNA do great things for customers. $2400 is ALOT of money to take an engine out though. I would have only assumed $12-1500 but I'm no Porsche tech so what do I know.

G'luck anyways!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
I wouldn't spend any more money than required. If the gear box goes, it's under warranty. It's very unusual for a box to go because of a measly 8400RPM over rev.

To the OP: You probably have a good case for warranty repair if you haven't hurt your chances by telling them about the incident. I'm not suggesting you lie, but I wouldn't openly have given them a reason to deny you warranty.

I've seen dealers/PCNA do great things for customers. $2400 is ALOT of money to take an engine out though. I would have only assumed $12-1500 but I'm no Porsche tech so what do I know.

G'luck anyways!
Agreed! Tell them the truth but you don't have to tell them the "gawd awful" truth!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:04 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
... To the OP: You probably have a good case for warranty repair if you haven't hurt your chances by telling them about the incident. I'm not suggesting you lie, but I wouldn't openly have given them a reason to deny you warranty. ...
You appear to think that PCNA does not follow these forums.

Quick Reply: Money Shift