Sponsored by:

I bet your rain sensor is on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by alan000
usually inappropriately fast for the rainfall and ends up scraping a dry windshieldAlan
These things work quite well and have been used in vehicles for a long time. There's this thing that you move with your thumb that adjusts the sensitivity. There's this thing called the owner's manual that tells you all about it. Heed the manual. Adjust the sensitivity. Then you won't need to look for a way to deactivate this really useful feature.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jca3
Even if it didn't deactivate, I'm not sure what would "burn out". It's a sensor. If it doesn't sense anything it's not going to send a signal to activate the wiper. Are you worried about the sensor itself? There are dozens of sensors all over the car in constant use...
All over the city - all over the planet - most likely the universe - they are watching us - wave for the camera.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 AM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RSB (rain sensor burnout) - ouch. Thanks for this post, I needed a good laugh this week!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 AM
alan000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
These things work quite well and have been used in vehicles for a long time. There's this thing that you move with your thumb that adjusts the sensitivity. There's this thing called the owner's manual that tells you all about it. Heed the manual. Adjust the sensitivity. Then you won't need to look for a way to deactivate this really useful feature.
Thanks for your insightful *sarcasm* reply. We have tried the sensitivity function on the wiper stalk on her car and it makes no difference. On my 997, the rain sensor is not an issue b/c I'm able to use the manual setting on the individual adjustment in the PCM. As I said before, my wife does not have sport chrono, and hence no access to the indiv. setting. Adias' reply (with supplied picture) may be helpful to try. If that does work, maybe I should tell my dealership to RTFM as well.

On another note, while the rain sensor may work well for you, it doesn't work well for us. Others have had problems with it as well. I like to think my eyes are better at determining when my windshield needs wiping than a silly sensor.

Alan
Old 01-08-2011, 04:34 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

... I like to think my eyes are better at determining when my windshield needs wiping than a silly sensor. ...
No argument there.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I like to think my eyes are better at determining when my windshield needs wiping than a silly sensor.

The rain sensor is most useful when driving in changing rain conditions. It's annoying to have to constantly adjust the wiper setting to match conditions. Sure, my eyes work better, but unfortuntely other action is required once my eyes see the problem. A properly functioning rain sensor resolves this. Of course if it doesn't work right it's just another headache.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

The bigger concern, according to my dealer, is the Bi-Xenon headlight washer. Apparently, those motors are a weakness, burn out frequently, and are a very expensive repair. They strongly recommended to me that I leave them permanently 'off'.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
The bigger concern, according to my dealer, is the Bi-Xenon headlight washer. Apparently, those motors are a weakness, burn out frequently, and are a very expensive repair. They strongly recommended to me that I leave them permanently 'off'.
How do you turn them off permanently?

The headlight washer system automatically sprays
once for every ten times the front windshield
washer system is operated.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
How do you turn them off permanently?
When they burn out, they'll be off - and don't repair them - permantently?

I don't recommend driving on the tires either as they wear out even faster than the headlamp washers and are equally expensive.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
alan000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
I suggest you read your manual

See pertinent section highlighted below:

Too bad it hasn't rained recently in LA. I really want to try this method, too. To my understanding, position 0 is "off" and position 1 is "intermittent/adjustable." To turn off rain sensor, leave it on position 1 and turn on ignition.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding this, but once it rains and I'm already on position 1, how do I use the adjustable intermittent mode without turning on rain sensor? (According to the manual, as soon as I adjust the interval, this turns the rain sensor back on). I guess I should have specified earlier that I wanted to completely deactivate the sensor.

Alan
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
alan000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The rain sensor is most useful when driving in changing rain conditions. It's annoying to have to constantly adjust the wiper setting to match conditions. Sure, my eyes work better, but unfortuntely other action is required once my eyes see the problem. A properly functioning rain sensor resolves this. Of course if it doesn't work right it's just another headache.
Mike, I agree. My friend loves his Audi's rain sensor and finds it quite useful. My wife wants to like it, too, since she paid for it She finds it amusing that in her expensive P-car with rain sensor, she ends up using the manual one time wipe constantly.

Alan
Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

A BMW tech told me that the auto shut-off was for protecting the car from the driver (idiot-proofing). Claimed, for example, that if there was no auto shut-off and you went through a car wash the moving wipers would get destroyed. Don't know it that's true.

I once saw a pamphlet on how the BMW system auto wiper system works. IIRC, it used infrared light (or some type of light beam). Above the clown nose on the rear view (circa 2005 models) beams are emitted and the degree of refraction triggers a break in the circuit and the wipers are activated at speeds relative to the refraction (when the auto-sensing system is activated). Well, at least that's as much as I remember. Don't know if Porsche uses the same system but how varied could the technology be?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the rain sensor like the PDK of wiper switches? Sorry, just popped into my head.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
nazhat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Holli82
What's rain?
lol
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

from what i know if the wiper is set to the first click which means that the rain sensor is on everytime you start the car or turn on the ignition the wiper will wipe once... then you know the rain sensor is on

Quick Reply: I bet your rain sensor is on.