Sponsored by:

I bet your rain sensor is on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
from what i know if the wiper is set to the first click which means that the rain sensor is on everytime you start the car or turn on the ignition the wiper will wipe once... then you know the rain sensor is on
That's not the case with the 997.2, at least. Per the manual excerpt ADias posted above, if the wiper stalk is left in position 1 (the rain sensor position) and the ignition is turned off, when you start the car again the rain sensor will be off. You will need to cycle the stalk to 0 then back to 1 to reactivate it.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

hmm i think i will give it a try on my car. 997.2 S i recall it faintly that when i had it new it was like that and stupid me had to bring it to dealer to ask why and the advisor just moved the stick back and it was off hahaha. maybe its a piwis activated something or a pcm activated something but i will give it a shot and see what happens. Im pretty sure mike is right but lets check anyways
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's not the case with the 997.2, at least. Per the manual excerpt ADias posted above, if the wiper stalk is left in position 1 (the rain sensor position) and the ignition is turned off, when you start the car again the rain sensor will be off. You will need to cycle the stalk to 0 then back to 1 to reactivate it.
If you have Sports Chrono in a 997.2 you can select for the rain sensor to reactivate on ignition if the stalk is left on (position one - intermittent). I like this feature but I'm a bit OCD...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe its me, but this is not that complex.

On the wiper arm (I'm speaking from a 997.2, but I imagine others are very similar) there are effectively 4 set and 1 intermittent position. (if the car has rain sensor option)
Position (-1) : pull down on the stalk, it does a wipe while you are holding the lever down against the spring force. I imagine every car today has this in some variant.

Position 0: OFF - if you pull he lever all the way down and let it go, this is the position it parks in. NO wiper action. No mater how much it rains. Ever car has this.

Position 1: auto-sensing. ONE click up from the 0/off position, it uses the sensor and the sensitivity setting to determine when to wipe. When you turn off the car, even if the stalk is in this position, the auto-wipe function does not come on again until you move the stalk down and up or adjust the sensitivity (via the paddle) (not all cars may have this option).

Position 2: slow wiper MANUAL SET - this operates the wiper at a fixed slow speed, every car from every make has this type of setting.

Position 3: fast wiper MANUAL SET - the faster wiper speed.. again all cars have this.

(Note: there is no non-sensing intermittent/programmable intermittent mode)

Code:

(3)
  (2)
   (1)
   (0)
(-1)

If you want the wipers OFF, set the lever to position 0.
If you want to manually control the wipers, set it to either 2 or 3 (slow or fast).

Now if you want to set the wipers in an intermittent mode where YOU get to specify a fixed interval on the wipe speed, that is not possible on the 997 with rain sensor. You have 3 speed options: off, slow, fast.

Some cars have a programmable intermittent wiper (my VW's have it: the old 94 Golf allowed programming the interval by pressing the stalk at the start of the interval and again when you wanted to define the end of the interval, and that was the frequency it used; my New Beetle (02) has a paddle that lets me select from a set of about 3-4 intermittent wiper speeds)

I don't think the 997 has a user set-able intermittent wiper mode, if it has rain sensors. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

there is a switch on the stalk that you move up or down if you want intemittent wiping faster or slower if this is the feature you are talking about. yes its on the 997.2 with rain sensor
Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember in my 997.1, yet in my 997.2 (with Sport Chrono) there is a function in the PCM screen that can turn the rain sensor to Manual, so the wipers will not wipe even if there is rain detected.

I think it is under the Individual Settings - Wiper.

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 01-13-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
If you have Sports Chrono in a 997.2 you can select for the rain sensor to reactivate on ignition if the stalk is left on (position one - intermittent). I like this feature but I'm a bit OCD...
The possible problem with doing this is, as I experienced on another car, if the sensor stays activated all the time, then every time you turn on the ignition, the wipers swipe once to acknowledge the sensor is on. Not good for dry windshields. I have no problem moving the stock to position 0 and back to 1 again to re-activate the sensor.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
My post to slicky rick was more generic as I was aware of that. I must be a bit OCD too since I have SC and also like having the ability to program stuff like that though I haven't done it with the wipers.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
The possible problem with doing this is, as I experienced on another car, if the sensor stays activated all the time, then every time you turn on the ignition, the wipers swipe once to acknowledge the sensor is on. Not good for dry windshields. I have no problem moving the stock to position 0 and back to 1 again to re-activate the sensor.

Also an issue if you use the tennis/raquetball on a string mechanism of positioning your car in the garage. Never fun when the wipers take a swing at the ball and knock it bouncing around.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Also an issue if you use the tennis/raquetball on a string mechanism of positioning your car in the garage. Never fun when the wipers take a swing at the ball and knock it bouncing around.
Kind of funny actually. Happened to me recently on the BMW.

Quick Reply: I bet your rain sensor is on.