2007 997 TT vs 997S

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I second this.

They are quite a bit different actually. TT obviously has the straight line performance advantage, and most importantly LOTS of extra torque throughout power band.

It all comes down to preference. If you like to REV the engine high to get your power, an "S" and even a base Carrera would do, however, if you really love to have torque at any gear and can just put the pedal down and fly like a sling shot, then you gotto have TT.

Yup. I think you nailed it.

I'm sorry (seriously) to possibly sound like a PITA broken record but I'm thinking confusion may also be public roads are built (and trafficked) more for getting your thrills from a TT than they are from a NA.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LlBr
With all due respect "p before p" seems over simplification. Like the TT has no poise. What quantitative scale are you using?. We know the NA has significantly less power.
How about this for a quantitative scale :

Turbo 1570 kg
C2S 1425 kg

You're driving around with the equivalent of 2 full grown adults in that passenger seat. Your magnificent (if quiet) engine overcomes the disadvantage on the straights (and I believe in some parts of America that's all they have ) but in the corners it just doesn't feel the same....

But, horses for courses... You clearly love yours and maybe the OP would feel the same way.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The M96 engine is the base for the 997S engines up to 2008. I believe that for 09 and 10, Porsche went to a new engine. The new engine has not been around long enough to determine how reliable it is yet. Compared to the engines in the turbo and the GT3, ( which are based upon the same platform but not identical ) the M96 is considered by many who are more knowledgeable than I to be a weak engine. If it's not going to be a DD, I would consider the GT3 if you want to stay NA and also be as light as possible withourt ripping stuff out. Based upon my signature though, you can see that I'm biased towards turbos.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
How about this for a quantitative scale :

Turbo 1570 kg
C2S 1425 kg
Well, if the OP is considering a 7Turbo, but he's concerned about all that extra weight and AWD, why not go 6GT2?
Same ball-park price as 997T.
Same weight as C2S. (well 5kg more).
RWD.
Turbo.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Well, if the OP is considering a 7Turbo, but he's concerned about all that extra weight and AWD, why not go 6GT2?
Same ball-park price as 997T.
Same weight as C2S. (well 5kg more).
RWD.
Turbo.

Does he have the stones?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
racer
Drifting

For a car that sounds like it will be used once every 3 months, why even buy one? Just rent one for a few days (assuming you are in a major US market), to get you kicks out. It is oft reported on the web that unsued or underused 911's develop more problems than they seem to be worth (dead batteries, storage issues, flat spotted tires, underlubricated engines from sitting too long, engine failures etc)

That said, BOTH cars are quite remarkable and reward even more those with the skills to extract their performance. For simplicity sake, I say get the 997S
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
You must be new here.

The real fact is -- in my C2S and in my GT3 I almost never wish I had more horsepower but I often wish it were lighter and more nimble. The TT is two steps in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted a car that was a screamer in a straight line I'd buy a Z51.

But that's just my preference -- I can totally understand how someone could be completely won over by the TT's power and torque. It's a matter of driving style and the roads you're able to drive on. That's why I suggest that everyone just drive both and see where their passion leads them.
Get the TT some more camber in it and it screams at the track....faster than a C2S with equal drivers.

Personally for me I'd rather have a GT3, but that is me because I like the race heritage and look of the GT3 at the track. But for a pure street car that is fast and rides well the TT would be the car for me. I have a 997S because that is what I can afford right now and not because I think it is the ultimate Porsche for me.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

GT3
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ragincajun
Sorry guys if you think this is a crazy request for opinions BUT here goes. I am a newbie to the forum and haven't owned a P-car YET but seriously in market. I'm a typical engineer that can never get enough information so here goes. I know the 997TT is a wholly different animal than the 997S from a performance issue etc.....

I work abroad so the car will only be used about 4 months out of the year (not consecutive) so it will not be a daily driver and will sit most of the time. I am buying it just as a toy so what are your opinions-----TT or S? Thanks everyone in advance.
Since you're completely new to Porsche should understand that these things can be a handful to drive at their limits. But you never mention the sort of driving that you intend to do. If you are only going to be driving it 1/3rd of the year then you should be careful not to get into a car that can be a handful. You need a lot of regular practice to drive any of these in the upper range of their capability.

I suspect you are a lot like many on this list--the cars are something they have desired for many years and they worked and worked to get to the point to afford one--but then they don't change their lifestyle and work habits and still find that they don't have the time to really enjoy them.

If I had to have a Porsche and it was going to sit most of the year I would just get something that isn't expensive that can give me an introduction to Porsche and then when my schedule allows me to be in the states more I could get something more suitable to my needs.

Don't for a moment think that a 997 Turbo is the end all Porsche. Zuffenhausen produces a significant number of variants of the '911' so that everyone will be satisfied. Just shop around, take your time, and drive as many versions as you can, to find the version that fits you and your needs the best.

I've been driving these things since 1974 and don't believe that rushing to judgement on a particular model is a good thing. It has to be you who makes the ultimate call.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Turbo Charged cars DO NOT like to sit!!!! Having said that, i personally would get the turbo. But the 997 S seems to have plenty of power and appeal.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Had a 997TT for less than a year. Traded it in for a C2S. No regrets at all.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Had a 997TT for less than a year. Traded it in for a C2S. No regrets at all.
No kidden?? Why did you do that??? Ill be looking in a year or so for an 07 turbo but like the S as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking from the stand point of Turbo or NA....for me its a NA. The rush of the Turbo on the open freeway is amazing, but you really need to be aware of the speeds you get to. You really skip just about everything speed wise until your in the low 100's and its still pulling....its pretty neat.
BUT, for me and I'm mid 40's, I've lost some of the devil may care attitude and with the crappy drivers pulling in front of you out there, those blasts into the 100+ speeds are seldom found around here.
I find the 350-385 HP cars are more than enough to have a great time and fling into corners and blast out. Both cars (TT and NA) will do high 170's its just a bit slower getting there for the NA's.
I can't speak for 997's but the 993 and the 996TT I have, are two different animals...I chose the 993 and would chose a 997 C2 as a replacement for the 996TT for my needs.
just my 2 cents..
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 AM
ragincajun
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHEWWWWWWWWW---now that a good cross section of opinions. I guess I need to add a few clarifications about driving style etc.... You just have to love how passionate people are about P-cars.
I used to ride large sport bikes because I LOVED the speed and needed the torque of a larger displaced bikes---so in that comparison the TT would be better for me. I got rid of the bikes because a man can only do 190 mph so often before the statistics catch up to him and he leaves a widow and children without a father. Plus I was starting to look like the Joker on Batman with a fixed smile on my face even when I slept after a long ride. You ever saw a grey haired Joker---not pretty. So no real driving style; just like to find twisty roads on a pretty day and drive. I will probably never have a track day; just not interested really---may be hard to believe for some of you but we all have a place.

Next question-----I live in the South where we never have snow and it is hot most of the year. I adore the cabriolet but like the look of the coupe' better. Those of you WITH cabriolets; how much time do you actually run with the top down--or is it the other way around?

Also thinking---TWO turbos and a rag top---sounds like a lot of trouble waiting to happen after months of sitting there waiting for his owner to play with it!!!!!!

Loved all the comments from everyone----love to hear what you have to say next. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased my 2005C2S Cab in March.
The top has been up for driving 2 times that I can remember.
(I don't drive it in the rain)
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 2007 997 TT vs 997S