Sponsored by:

Can you polish the windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you polish the windshield?

My car spent the first few years of its life at a beach community. The windshield literally looks like it's been sandblasted, and shows numerous tiny marks. Can you polish or clay bar this out? I spoke to a detailer who thought the 997 may have a coating or film on the windshield that might be unsafe to polish. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

They can be polished, but it's not really easy work. The reason they chip so easily is because the glass is very hard and it pits when impacted. (Some consider them soft and they pit but it's the other way around).

What I would do is (1) live with it or (2) replace it entirely.

Of course, one week after you replace it you'll be behind (for an extended period) a sand truck....
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

He was probably confusing it with what Porsche used to do. AFAIK, in the past they put a soft-ish coating on the inside which caused problems.

Here's something (link below) but maybe not serious industrial grade like what you MIGHT be dealing with? Any off-road use? Nah. Heavy track use? Maybe. Lots of interstate travel near cities? Hummmm.

OTOH, what you're facing may not be so bad and might be exactly what this stuff's for?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure my 997.2 windshield is plastic coated internally. When the car was delivered, my registration sticker would peel off over a few day period. Transferred to a rear side window, no problems.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

American windshields are glass on the inside.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bijan
I am sure my 997.2 windshield is plastic coated internally.
997.1 are definitely NOT coated. If they are that means I'm losing my mind and can't be trusted to remember anything anymore. You might have had some wax or silicone overspray on yours to make that sticker fall off. I dunno.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

mine is bad too, we have free windshield replacement here in florida but still i dont like the idea of a new windshield.... :-(

i did however have a brick fly off a truck and smack flat on the windsheild and didnt crack just left a scratch.. i was amazed... i was going about 40.. bounced on ground and up hitting windshield perfectly flat and over the car!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
mine is bad too, we have free windshield replacement here in florida but still i dont like the idea of a new windshield.... :-(

i did however have a brick fly off a truck and smack flat on the windsheild and didnt crack just left a scratch.. i was amazed... i was going about 40.. bounced on ground and up hitting windshield perfectly flat and over the car!!!!
We have free windshield replacement?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
go outside, hit with hammer.. call any window company and they'll come out within the hour if the glass is in stock and replace for free.. only front and rear windows however, 0$ deductable in florida.

most the companies try and use aftermarket glass to pocket some cash on the deal, but the company reeves uses (cant think of name) only uses OEM glass... i wish i could think of their name.. they do amazing work,

I'm still amazed when i see people driving with cracked windshields here in florida, i think they must not have insurance on their cars. its 0$ deductible and doesn't hurt your insurance costs at all. once saw a guy come to car show with cinderblock in window (fell off truck on highway) it didnt hit any metal, window guy came to show within 30minutes and replaced window in about 20 and he was good to go in less than hour.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

We do if the crack is a certain size, shape or is in a certain location. Not sure about the exact metrics to qualify but I had it done a few years ago on a BMW at no cost through USAA. A dime size crack right in the center as I recall it.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Man! I just got a shot of adrenaline on that one. I would be nervous about that! If you have to go to a normal glass shop you're taking a chance.

I got mine done at a place which does ultra ritzy and exotic cars. Cost more BUT my car came back WITHOUT even a teeny tiny gouge in any of the plastic trim, without any disturbed wiring or other stuff that was obviously in the way. Absolutely no microscopic evidence that the sukker was replaced (believe me I checked on the "nano" level too). Windshield replacement can be very depressing, as y'all might know. No biggie, just talkin'
Old 08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they leak at the seal when replaced sometimes too
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try tearoffs from colemotorsports.com. Inexpensive but requires professional installation same as 3m on hood. Similar but different. Relatively inexpensive. Great protection at track but works well for everyday use on my 09 CS
Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe that it would be very difficult to polish out most pits in your windscreen- they are far deeper than the scratches on plastic headlight covers. Buy some new glass when you can no longer stand the pits.

I was griping to my girlfriend about how fast my 2009 911's windows pitted "my BMWs never did this" and she pointed out that her 328 was equally pitted over the same period. Many of the US states are in real trouble and here in CA the roads are in the same shape as our budget...We have a lot of concrete freeways that have lots of loose rock and large pot holes.

As for new windows, take some time to check out the glass shop and make sure not to drive the car for 24 hours to let the glass set. Otherwise, you may have some leaks.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 AM
LlBr
Drifting

My bet is a good workover with the Griot's stuff (or similar) could make the OP a bit happier.

Quick Reply: Can you polish the windshield?