Sponsored by:

Sport bucket & child car seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Sport bucket & child car seats

I tried searching for this, but didn't find a definiitive answer.

If you are on the configurator, and you build out a new 911 with the sport bucket seats (not sport seats) there is a warning about child protection systems. Specifically, here is the note:

Sport bucket seats made of fiberglass reinforced plastics (FGRP) and carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP), surface with visible carbon, leather covered folding backrest with integrated thorax-airbag, manual length adjustment. Note: In conjunction with Sport Bucket Seats, no child protection systems permitted.

Does anyone definitively know if this means a) child seats are not compatible with the sport bucket seat (i.e. you cannot use the Porsche child car seats that fit in the front), or b) the rear LATCH/ISOFIX mount points are not installed, or c) something else?

I love the seats and would like to consider them on a new order, but child seats are a requirement.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm also curious about this.

I was wondering if it had to do with the side aribag being able to be turned off or if it was because the child seat wouldn't fit.

It seems that a booster seat should fit without any problems as long as the airbag can be turned off.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 190 Posts

I assume it means there is no weight sensor in the passenger seat. You can't heat them nor electrically move them so I assume they is no electrical components in them at all. Kids will need to ride in back. My regular Sport Seats turn off the airbag when my less than 60 pounder rides up front, yours won’t – I’d guess.

The sport bucket seats are way cool but I agree child seats/booster are a requirement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmAVyCl-BQ
Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I assume it means there is no weight sensor in the passenger seat. You can't heat them nor electrically move them so I assume they is no electrical components in them at all. Kids will need to ride in back. My regular Sport Seats turn off the airbag when my less than 60 pounder rides up front, yours won’t – I’d guess.

The sport bucket seats are way cool but I agree child seats/booster are a requirement.

I hope you're right. I'm going to ask my dealer next time I have a chance to stop in. BTW, if thats you and your girls they are adorable! My son (3, soon to be 4) still points at yellow cars and asks "Daddy, is that your yellow race car?".
Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sport bucket seat passenger side has weight sensor.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothyli
The sport bucket seat passenger side has weight sensor.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how that's possible.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I'm sorry, but I don't see how that's possible.
Well in fact I think it is. I have the sport buckets and just went out to the garage to test them. Start engine and passenger airbag light comes on then goes out. PDK in gear, foot on brake I lean over and apply pressure to seat and the pass airbag light comes on; remove pressure and a few seconds later the light goes out.

Doesn't surprise me since the weight sensor is a Federal requirement and I doubt Porsche could have sold the seats here as an OEM part without it. The LATCH and key for manually disabling the airbags are dealer installed per the manual and as has been said can't (won't?) be retrofitted to the sport buckets.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in the original question. My 1 1/2 year old twins have started to go to summer camp and i would love to be able to fit my 3 kids, but for that I would need to use in full the 911 passenger capacity (2 child seats in the rear, 1 booster seat in the front). I have the sport buckets and I would hate not to be able to take my kids to school or not to drive my 911 when in town. Does anyone know of a booster seat that will fit the sport buckets?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

The weight sensors are in the base portion of the seats. There is one at each corner. Here is a typical one mounted on the left rear part of the passenger seat.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Well in fact I think it is. I have the sport buckets and just went out to the garage to test them. Start engine and passenger airbag light comes on then goes out. PDK in gear, foot on brake I lean over and apply pressure to seat and the pass airbag light comes on; remove pressure and a few seconds later the light goes out.

Doesn't surprise me since the weight sensor is a Federal requirement and I doubt Porsche could have sold the seats here as an OEM part without it. The LATCH and key for manually disabling the airbags are dealer installed per the manual and as has been said can't (won't?) be retrofitted to the sport buckets.
Interesting. I didn't see any kind of sensor when I sat in the seats in a Boxster Spyder, although I did only look at the driver's seat.

Could you rephrase what you said about the LATCH system? Is it installed in the sport bucket seat? Is it installed in the rear seats? From your comment, it sounds like the seats do not include the LATCH system - preventing a child seat in the front seat - but do not affect the installation in the rear seats.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The weight sensors are in the base portion of the seats. There is one at each corner. Here is a typical one mounted on the left rear part of the passenger seat.
Ah, I was looking for sensors beneath the seating surface and not at the corner mounts.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Interesting. I didn't see any kind of sensor when I sat in the seats in a Boxster Spyder, although I did only look at the driver's seat.

Could you rephrase what you said about the LATCH system? Is it installed in the sport bucket seat? Is it installed in the rear seats? From your comment, it sounds like the seats do not include the LATCH system - preventing a child seat in the front seat - but do not affect the installation in the rear seats.

The LATCH system (Lower Anchorage and Tether for CHildren) includes attachment points on the passenger seat and a key operated deactivation switch for the passenger airbag. The system is a dealer, not factory installed option and won't work with the sport buckets. Porsche says repeatedly that child restraint systems will not fit into the sport buckets. Car seats with tethers can be fitted in the rear seats of Coupes and Targas, presumably regardless of what kind of front seats are in the car. There are anchors under the carpet behind the rear seat backrests. All of this is per the owners manual; I've had no direct experience as my kids are way past that age.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

What if tethers are not required, IE: using a booster seat? Will Porsche at least allow the option to deactivate the airbag?

What I don't understand is what is the point of the weight sensors in the seat if they don't deactivate the airbags and why does Porsche need to provide a key to perform this function?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
What if tethers are not required, IE: using a booster seat? Will Porsche at least allow the option to deactivate the airbag?

What I don't understand is what is the point of the weight sensors in the seat if they don't deactivate the airbags and why does Porsche need to provide a key to perform this function?
Maybe it's a legal CYA on Porsche's part. OTOH, when Porsche says that child restraint systems won't fit in the sport bucket it seems believeable. Looking at the seats in my car it's pretty hard to imagine any of the child restraint systems (car or booster seats) that my kids ever used actually fitting in them; they are quite narrow at the hip with high bolsters.

The weight sensors do disable the airbag for smaller passengers, like children not using booster or car seats. That's a Federal requirement. As far as the key is concerned for the LATCH system, I'm sure it's to prevent accidental activation of the switch.

IMO, Porsche decided there were too many risks and potential liabilities around trying to use aftermarket child restraints in the sport buckets, and decided not to allow installation of the accessories to support them.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-05-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bruce R

Great video Bruce!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Great video Bruce!
Cheers!

BTW you have a rockin' car, that Sport Bucket seat in brown looks great.

Quick Reply: Sport bucket & child car seats