Sponsored by:

Wiper washer spray in face

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 AM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper washer spray in face

2008 Cab windshield washer spray goes over windshield into my face.

Best way to adjust? Use a safety pin into nozzle and slight bend? Better way?

Don't want to screw it up.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

id just leave it... use it while driving at speed and wont happen... i dont think they are adjustable.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Is the spray just completely missing the windshield, or is there just some residual liquid coming over the top? If it's the latter, all the adjustment in the world can't stop mist from traveling. Even in my coupe, with the moonroof open, some spray does find its way in, and even hits the back window if I'm at a standstill. Sounds pretty normal to me.

As an aside, there was an article I read not too long ago stating that windshield washer fluid was a major cause of legionaries disease, due to it's stagnant nature. Be careful when spraying and be sure to use windshield washer fluid (or some additive) instead of just plain water.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

How I'd approach it if it really bothered me? Remove the nozzles. Then fabricate/form a slight wedge-shaped shim/washer out of "rubber" to put underneath - making the angle of the spray hit lower. Another idea? Use a heat gun to CAREFULLY reform the angle of the tiny plastic area forming the seats in which they are mounted. FWIW. Heck I'd probably assess and accomplish that "seat angle modification" possibility first. More? Removing the nozzles for inspection might provide insight on how to "attack" and only modify them slightly with a heat gun, or modelmakers hacksaw, or other fine tool and, voila, there's your third, forth and fifth options to evaluate.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The washer nozzles are designed to work right at 100mph+. If you are at a standstill or going very slow, the place where the water hits the widow will be a lot higher on the windshield than at speed. If its really spraying totally over the windshield, I'd think that is an adjustment issue. The nozzle tips of my VW's are adjustable with a pin.. stick the pin in and move the nozzles. I'm assuming a Porsche's nozzles would be similarly aim-able.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The nozzle tips of my VW's are adjustable with a pin.. stick the pin in and move the nozzles. I'm assuming a Porsche's nozzles would be similarly aim-able.
Sounds better place to start than what I said above. Maybe grip the pin with pliers to get better control over the teeny-tiny adjustment procedure.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camhabib

As an aside, there was an article I read not too long ago stating that windshield washer fluid was a major cause of legionaries disease, due to it's stagnant nature. Be careful when spraying and be sure to use windshield washer fluid (or some additive) instead of just plain water.
Audi used to add isopropyl alcohol to its washer fluid. It certainly killed any microbes but also dissolved road grime. After they discontinued that formula I added a pint to each reservoir fill.

Do not shoot isopropyl alcohol in your eyes.

Last edited by 4 Track Mind; 07-28-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Driver safety
Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to spray the windshield when your top is down? I have been driving a convertible for the past 6 years, and the need has never once arisen.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The washer nozzles are designed to work right at 100mph+. If you are at a standstill or going very slow, the place where the water hits the widow will be a lot higher on the windshield than at speed. If its really spraying totally over the windshield, I'd think that is an adjustment issue. The nozzle tips of my VW's are adjustable with a pin.. stick the pin in and move the nozzles. I'm assuming a Porsche's nozzles would be similarly aim-able.
So basically:

(1) Drive Faster
(2) Duck

I can do this.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 AM
mossjn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
Just out of curiosity, why do you need to spray the windshield when your top is down? I have been driving a convertible for the past 6 years, and the need has never once arisen.
Driving around and notice windshield is dirty - quick, rough clean. Am I really the only one who does this on occasion?

General spray is on windshield but "overspray" on my and passenger's faces.

I will try and get over it. Thought there might be easy fix. Will try basic pin idea.

Quick Reply: Wiper washer spray in face