Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Not Driven 2 Years - What Need s To Be Done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would strongly advise against jump starting - this is now not allowed on some modern cars as it can upset the computers.

A new or at least strongly charged battery would be my choice. I hope he did not leave the handbrake on as it may now be seized on as may the ordinary brakes however a quick sharp blip on the pedal while in gear should release them.

The clutch plate can also get seized to the flywheel but again this can be released by starting it in gear - obviously reverse gear on both counts if it has to be reversed out of a garage.

These methods may seem rough but I have been there done that and there have been no long term ill effects.

Obviously check the tyre pressures as these tyres don't really look deflated when they in actual fact are. Check the fluids. I would not go sucking the old petrol out as this can disturb sediment on the tank bottom. Just throw in a few gallons of fresh stuff.

Warm it up a bit first and make sure its not raining before taking it out the garage for its first drive.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
I would strongly advise against jump starting - this is now not allowed on some modern cars as it can upset the computers.

A new or at least strongly charged battery would be my choice. I hope he did not leave the handbrake on as it may now be seized on as may the ordinary brakes however a quick sharp blip on the pedal while in gear should release them.

The clutch plate can also get seized to the flywheel but again this can be released by starting it in gear - obviously reverse gear on both counts if it has to be reversed out of a garage.

These methods may seem rough but I have been there done that and there have been no long term ill effects.

Obviously check the tyre pressures as these tyres don't really look deflated when they in actual fact are. Check the fluids. I would not go sucking the old petrol out as this can disturb sediment on the tank bottom. Just throw in a few gallons of fresh stuff.

Warm it up a bit first and make sure its not raining before taking it out the garage for its first drive.
There's nothing wrong with jump starting! I had mine done at dealer when battery was drained out due to radar detector going off for 2 days!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
There's nothing wrong with jump starting! I had mine done at dealer when battery was drained out due to radar detector going off for 2 days!
There's always a chance of a current surge that can fry alternator rectifiers. That is often not noticed immediately but eventually kills the alternator causing an electro-mechanical imbalance. It happens more often than you may think.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
There's always a chance of a current surge that can fry alternator rectifiers. That is often not noticed immediately but eventually kills the alternator causing an electro-mechanical imbalance. It happens more often than you may think.
Maybe, but not sure how frequent such issues might be. Dealer said it's perfectly fine to jump the car, if it's done correctly.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by winovin
What is the purpose of manually turning the engine over?
I do this with my cars when I pull them out of winter hibernation. The thought process is to make sure nothing has seized during storage (a very unlikely event, regardless) and to "pull" a fresh film of oil on the engine, prior to cranking with all the power and torque from the starter motor and engine.

For some Porsches, you can also do this by pulling the DME relay, crank a few times, build oil pressure, replace the relay, and fire the engine.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would def remove the old gas, as it does degrade, and water sets in, especially in humid climates. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

This is what you do:

1.Check all fluid levels: oil, coolant, brake fluid
2. Inspect Belt
3. Check for any nests from mice and other rodents in the engine capartment or exhaust.
4. Inspect wheels and tire preasure.
5. Charge battery
6. Start it!
7. Keep an eye on all gauges. Also listen for any unusually noises. Turn it off if there is any thing that is not normal!
8. Let idle until all fluids get to normal temps.
9. When you drive it take it easy. Go slow. Let things warm up.
10. Fill it up with fresh gas and take it to the shop.

Once at the dealer have the oil changed, flush the brake fluid, brakes inspected, tires inspected, coolant inspected. Have them inspect the entire vehicle. You might need new tires. Alot will depend on how the car was parked for the last 2 years. was it parked indoors in a dry biulding or a damp building. The car was only parked for two years. Thats not a long time.

Once the car is returned Wash and Wax the car clean the interior and ENJOY IT!

Just ask if you have any questions
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I do this with my cars when I pull them out of winter hibernation. The thought process is to make sure nothing has seized during storage (a very unlikely event, regardless) and to "pull" a fresh film of oil on the engine, prior to cranking with all the power and torque from the starter motor and engine.

For some Porsches, you can also do this by pulling the DME relay, crank a few times, build oil pressure, replace the relay, and fire the engine.
thats cool, but I wouldn't want to do it in gear.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fskof
This is what you do:

3. Check for any nests from mice and other rodents in the engine capartment or

Speaking of rodents. We had a squirrel issue where they were hoarding dog food in the car's airbox over the winter. They packed it to the brim.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by sizquik
Speaking of rodents. We had a squirrel issue where they were hoarding dog food in the car's airbox over the winter. They packed it to the brim.
Yes those pesky critters can do alot of damage. I have seen mice chew a wire harnes on an NSX once. also mice decided to build a nest in my friends buell motorcycle exhaust... lol
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
This is what you do:

1.Check all fluid levels: oil, coolant, brake fluid
2. Inspect Belt
3. Check for any nests from mice and other rodents in the engine capartment or exhaust.
4. Inspect wheels and tire preasure.
5. Charge battery
6. Start it!
7. Keep an eye on all gauges. Also listen for any unusually noises. Turn it off if there is any thing that is not normal!
8. Let idle until all fluids get to normal temps.
9. When you drive it take it easy. Go slow. Let things warm up.
10. Fill it up with fresh gas and take it to the shop.

Once at the dealer have the oil changed, flush the brake fluid, brakes inspected, tires inspected, coolant inspected. Have them inspect the entire vehicle. You might need new tires. Alot will depend on how the car was parked for the last 2 years. was it parked indoors in a dry biulding or a damp building. The car was only parked for two years. Thats not a long time.

Once the car is returned Wash and Wax the car clean the interior and ENJOY IT!

This is the best advice in this thread. All the rest about siphoning the gas, good luck with actually doing that and I think overall, 2 years is not that long. Now I realize a lot of people drive their Porsches regularly, but I assure you there are some that don't put 200 miles on theirs in two years, which would not burn a tank of gas.

Now if this was a 40 year old vintage car that hadn't been driven for more than 10 years, I could see the concern.

Do the above, start it and go from there.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thats cool, but I wouldn't want to do it in gear.
It's not that hard to do. On a flat surface, with the car in 5th gear, I can give a good pull on the rear wheel, and get the car to move and manually rotate the engine. I do this with my Boxster. Disclaimer- I work-out 5 days per week.

Owners with a sloped driveway, can use this to thier advantage, and make it really easy.

Next Spring for the Turbo, I'll just pull the DME relay.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:07 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
This is the best advice in this thread. All the rest about siphoning the gas, good luck with actually doing that and I think overall, 2 years is not that long. Now I realize a lot of people drive their Porsches regularly, but I assure you there are some that don't put 200 miles on theirs in two years, which would not burn a tank of gas.

Now if this was a 40 year old vintage car that hadn't been driven for more than 10 years, I could see the concern.

Do the above, start it and go from there.
+2
Also add stabil to the gas next time you store it and a solar or electric trickle charge for the battery. Give Chad at Porsche of Arlington a call; he's the Service Manager and will do whatever is needed to get the car taken care of and made road ready without much hastle for your soonest. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Car Not Driven 2 Years - What Need s To Be Done?