Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service in X days

Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
gracep9
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Service in X days

I have a 05 911 with just over 45k on it. I just purchased it used about 7 months ago. I recently started getting the service in XX days message. On this year/model with my mileage what service am I due for and will it be one of the costly services?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Since you just got it let's just side on the safe side and do everything we can think of that should be done at that age:

Oil and oil filter change
Engine air filter
Cabin air filter
Brake fluid change and pad inspection for life left
Inspect the serpentine belt for wear. (They are a 60K item)
Consider replacing the spark plugs (They are a 60K or 4 year item).
Clean out all body drain points (near the battery area)
Service the battery with topped off distilled water
Inspect all tires (particularly the inside area of the rears) for wear and damage
Clutch--adjustment.

That should just about do it. I can't give you an idea of the cost, however.

Once you do this service the car is now baselined for you--unless you definitely know these things were done by the PO, just do it and then you know it's right.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 AM
GrahamML
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regards to spark plugs - does everyone agree with the 4 year service? Dealer states it is so the plugs do not cease.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrahamML
In regards to spark plugs - does everyone agree with the 4 year service? Dealer states it is so the plugs do not cease.
I'd like some opinions on this too. Being a Mechanical Engineer, I know spark plugs don't exactly have a shelf life. I have an 06 C2S, so my 4 years are up, but it only has 14,200 miles on it.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlJ
I'd like some opinions on this too. Being a Mechanical Engineer, I know spark plugs don't exactly have a shelf life. I have an 06 C2S, so my 4 years are up, but it only has 14,200 miles on it.
While from a mech eng point of view you are correct, time does not necessarily change the physical aspects of a plug, you forget there are chemical considerations as well. Oxidation of a metal could take places, causing it's performance to decrease, despite the maintained physical tolerances. I don't know if this is actually the case / to what point this occurs, but most likely, if people are recommending 4 years, there may be some kind of surface alteration taking place.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I went ahead and did it this year on my '05. Yes, the reason for the time limit is so the plugs dont get frozen in the heads. The cost was about $320 at the dealer. The cost to remove a frozen plug from the head would most likely be more than that.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gracep9
I have a 05 911 with just over 45k on it. I just purchased it used about 7 months ago. I recently started getting the service in XX days message. On this year/model with my mileage what service am I due for and will it be one of the costly services?
I'm hoping that the owner's manual/service manual, etc. came with the car when you bought it. In them, you'll find valuable information about service intervals, required/recommended services to be performed, etc. You'll also see a differentiation between "minor" and "major" services. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
GrahamML
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharmat
I went ahead and did it this year on my '05. Yes, the reason for the time limit is so the plugs dont get frozen in the heads. The cost was about $320 at the dealer. The cost to remove a frozen plug from the head would most likely be more than that.
What dealer did the work? I'm being quoted $417 in Reno, NV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service in X days