Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive your Porsche in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:52 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought it to drive - rain's no big deal - I just washed it and it got wet then too.

Now, it is hot and dry - I wish it would rain.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
You are correct, sir. Good thing is they'll avoid you if they can, and they usually see you first, so they'll take off. Bad thing is, if they don't have a way out, they're coiled and ready to hit the first thing in range. In a lab, they don't have the flight option, so they only know 1 other thing to do. Pretty nasty hemotoxin to go along with that nasty disposition, too. Not much of a match for a 295 Michelin, though.
They have a cocktail of neurotoxin and hemotoxin which makes antivenin admin. problematic. Add to this the fact that the particular ratio neuro- and hemotoxins vary by location (often overlapping) makes it the one rattlesnake you don't want to be envenomated by. (The one we had in our lab was confiscated by Fish & Wildlife from some idiot who thought it would be cool to keep it as a pet - along with a Western Diamond Back, a Cottonmouth and a Copperhead. We kept the Mojave for about 8 months until we could persuade for a zoo to take it - and even they weren't too keen about it due to the nature of it's venom.)
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
No derision should exist. If anything, it should be aimed at people who are mysteriously proud at the fact that they're putting a bunch of pleasureless DD miles on a 100k car in stop and go traffic, or other annoying rush hour traffic conditions. Might as well go sit in your car in the garage for 30 mins or an hour a day and then ridicule others who do not engage in this sort of "enjoyment". Actually that would make more sense, because it could be relaxing. Going nearly bumper to bumper on the highway at reduced speeds, or constantly starting, stopping, starting, stopping, honking at people, etc. can't possibly be something a sane person says they enjoy.
It's not that I enjoy those things, it's that I hate those things much less in a nice car than I would in a $500 beater.

And not so much for rain, but certainly for winter conditions, it boggles the mind why someone would be proud of the extra rust and deterioration on their car.
Rust and deterioration? My Porsche is eleven years old, driven in the rain and snow, and you're welcome to search it for rust.

For all of the above driving conditions too - if you don't think their cars are more likely to be in accidents and put back together again then you're kidding yourself. I feel more comfortable doing spirited driving when humpty is whole, not after he had been put back together again by some local body shops and mechanics.
I look at it this way: I don't get excited by owning a Porsche, I get excited about owning a Porsche that I can treat just like a regular car. Anyone can scrimp and save for a nice car and never drive it for fear of breaking it, but that seems like an incredibly crappy way to go about owning one of these cars.

That said, if my car is every in an accident, it'll get fixed to my specs or it'll just get traded for another car after it gets repaired. I'm sorry but not driving your car because you think it might get damaged seems completely backwards to me--if it gets damaged, you deal with the problem and move on with your life.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I've got enough things to worry about without manufacturing additional stress like whether I should drive my car in the rain or not.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hows that?
I own 4 cars and 2 trucks...I dont need nor desire to drive my Porsche in the rain.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
It's not that I enjoy those things, it's that I hate those things much less in a nice car than I would in a $500 beater.

Rust and deterioration? My Porsche is eleven years old, driven in the rain and snow, and you're welcome to search it for rust.

I look at it this way: I don't get excited by owning a Porsche, I get excited about owning a Porsche that I can treat just like a regular car. Anyone can scrimp and save for a nice car and never drive it for fear of breaking it, but that seems like an incredibly crappy way to go about owning one of these cars.

That said, if my car is every in an accident, it'll get fixed to my specs or it'll just get traded for another car after it gets repaired. I'm sorry but not driving your car because you think it might get damaged seems completely backwards to me--if it gets damaged, you deal with the problem and move on with your life.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I've got enough things to worry about without manufacturing additional stress like whether I should drive my car in the rain or not.
Well said - my thoughts exactly.

I enjoy my Porsche in all conditions. For me , to drive a lesser car just because its raining, deprives me of the enjoyment of driving MY Porsche. I'd like to drive it as much as I can. I enjoy each and every drive.

I obviously prefer driving it on a sunny day, 75 degrees and no traffic . But i cant always just dial that up. Plus with PDK, bumper to bumper is no issue.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:03 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I drive my C2S CAB in the snow too.
Todd.'s a topless year round kinda guy

-Alex
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 PM
jonasaurus
Track Day

Given mine is a daily driver and despite not enjoying having it in the rain it has to be done, end of the day its there to be driven!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
It's time for this thread to be locked - anything and everything that could be said about driving in the rain has been voiced.
I agree. A couple of us have been trying to derail it to a rattlesnake thread - to no avail....
I have never run over a rattlesnake in the rain, though. If a rattlesnake doesn't go out in the rain, should we?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When I used to be stationed there others in my unit knew whether it would be a nice day or a threatening day by whether I drove my 911 that day or not. You have to stay ahead of things and be prepared to find shelter in a hurry. I wound up using this website as my homepage when living there.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/...0&animate=true
Haha yeah I know Dan but I don't drive to work for other reasons as well...I'm sure you remember/know that Tinker is home to waaaaay too many retirees. They are a bit careless with their carts and doors on windy days. 3d Herd is too active with heavy equipment so that adds to my parking lot mix.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Haha yeah I know Dan but I don't drive to work for other reasons as well...I'm sure you remember/know that Tinker is home to waaaaay too many retirees. They are a bit careless with their carts and doors on windy days. 3d Herd is too active with heavy equipment so that adds to my parking lot mix.
Careful. Some of us retirees drive Porsche too, and we ARE careful of doors.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
mossjn
Advanced

Seems pretty simple to me - if you only have one car, and its a Porsche, you drive it in all conditions and all is good.

If you have multiple vehicles, and therefore you choose to put, say 5,000-10,000 miles a year on the Porsche, why bother driving it on the days it rains unless you live in Seattle or Ireland or.....?

I have 2 vehicles, live in N. CA where it only rains in winter and its a no brainer to drive the other vehicle when it rains, not because of concern of rain + Porsche but because its more fun to drive the 997 in dry conditions.

End of thread or am I missing something?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

absolutely! i luv slip-n-slides!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mossjn
Seems pretty simple to me - if you only have one car, and its a Porsche, you drive it in all conditions and all is good.

If you have multiple vehicles, and therefore you choose to put, say 5,000-10,000 miles a year on the Porsche, why bother driving it on the days it rains unless you live in Seattle or Ireland or.....?

I have 2 vehicles, live in N. CA where it only rains in winter and its a no brainer to drive the other vehicle when it rains, not because of concern of rain + Porsche but because its more fun to drive the 997 in dry conditions.

End of thread or am I missing something?

You're right.

Here we just had a mini shower. We haven't had rain in more than a month or so. Guess what, it means a lot of dust and little pebbles get washed into the roads. My car was washed 3 days ago. Uhm.... yeah I'll drive my 911 in this wet, pebble messed road instead of my childmobile Nissan to go run a few errands in evening traffic.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:55 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
Also if you drive any car every day surely the special feeling it gives kinda gets a bit eroded. Its a real treat to take the 997 out on a dry sunny day when I am on a day off.
^ This is my reasoning.
I love the "special occasion" feel when I take out the Porsche and drop the top.

However, I don't feel any need to deride people who choose to drive theirs every day. One day I hope to have a very high quality 356 speedster replica for weekend cruising with the GF, a 993 turbo coupe/GT3 for "special" buzzing about and a 997/998 coupe for DD.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:12 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

These cars are fine in the rain. Rain forces you to be smooth and can make you a better driver too.

Name:  GT3_103b_May03.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  52.9 KB

Quick Reply: Do you drive your Porsche in the rain?