Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive your Porsche in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With work and travel taking up much of my time, I drive it when I can, rain or shine. I prefer to avoid the rain as the roads in Colorado turn to gravel, but I think we do more damage by not driving them.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rain is more fun.

[/IMG]
Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
I know the 997 is well engineered for all the hazards of modern driving - one of the most basic of which is rain but I can't bring myself to even let it get wet (other than washing) let alone drive it on a wet road.

Its partly because I hate to get it dirty and I am generally too busy to find time to wash cars ( I own 9 of them). Also I treat it as a classic car like my others so it gets the same baby treatment.

Am I being too careful with my 997 or do many of you do / think the same?

It rains a lot in Ireland so obviously this means limited use.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I attended PSDS last October where we enjoyed 2 beautiful cloudless days with highs in the low 80's. Us students thought we were lucky to have such perfect weather. However almost every instructor tried to remind us that we were not seeing the true capability of the cars. To a man, each referenced previous classes (all levels) where it rained nonstop from the first lap on the first day to the last lap on the last day. They said that was some of their best instruction, and where the students did the best learning. They were trying to get us to understand that we were missing something very important by not getting to drive the cars on a wet track.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 AM
19_hole
Racer

Not only rain, but even SNOW!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I know the 997 is well engineered for all the hazards of modern driving - one of the most basic of which is rain but I can't bring myself to even let it get wet (other than washing) let alone drive it on a wet road.

Its partly because I hate to get it dirty and I am generally too busy to find time to wash cars ( I own 9 of them). Also I treat it as a classic car like my others so it gets the same baby treatment.

Am I being too careful with my 997 or do many of you do / think the same?

It rains a lot in Ireland so obviously this means limited use.
Don’t drive it in the rain it’s very dangerous. And when it rains you should use this: (in fact you should pack it and have it in the front just in case something terrible like rain happens suddenly while you drive in the sun)

John
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Don’t drive it in the rain it’s very dangerous. And when it rains you should use this: (in fact you should pack it and have it in the front just in case something terrible like rain happens suddenly while you drive in the sun)
But don't they dry out all the rubber parts causing cracking? No moisture is just as much of a worry to me as too much moisture.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

But don't they dry out all the rubber parts causing cracking? No moisture is just as much of a worry to me as too much moisture.
Great idea for a new thread Alfa. Go on start it.

John
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
ricster
Banned

Its funny but these cars will if kept well will outlast us lol
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 PM
stacheman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drive mine-4S Cab Pdk in all conditions except deep snow-drove it home from dealer in Toronto in a snow event when it was brand new-my basalt black became snow white, but the smile was still there!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by mossjn
Seems pretty simple to me - if you only have one car, and its a Porsche, you drive it in all conditions and all is good.

If you have multiple vehicles, and therefore you choose to put, say 5,000-10,000 miles a year on the Porsche, why bother driving it on the days it rains unless you live in Seattle or Ireland or.....?

I have 2 vehicles, live in N. CA where it only rains in winter and its a no brainer to drive the other vehicle when it rains, not because of concern of rain + Porsche but because its more fun to drive the 997 in dry conditions.

End of thread or am I missing something?
Pretty close . Although there are a contingent (myself included) that have 2 cars and are drawn to driving the 997 more and more - even if it rains or in heavy traffic - as its special under any circumstances and makes ALOMST ANY drive more fun.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Also if you drive any car every day surely the special feeling it gives kinda gets a bit eroded. Its a real treat to take the 997 out on a dry sunny day when I am on a day off.
If your wife/girlfriend want to have sex on a Tuesday do you tell them you'd rather wait until the weekend because you don't want to risk eroding the novelty?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
If your wife/girlfriend want to have sex on a Tuesday ...
Trying to work both of them in on the same day can be a bit tricky though...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bah, forget just driving on twisty roads and wide open roads.... we don't need pictures of that to entice others about the joys of 997 ownership.

If I take some of you seriously, we should be yearning for how most of the miles are put on the 997 of some owners...

Good thing your 997 has a sunroof

Anyone order 6MT instead of PDK?

Glad your 997 has LSD, huh?

Why drive the family SUV? you could be in your Porsche!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Ya know what? If I'm going to be stuck in traffic, I'd rather be stuck in traffic in my Porsche than any of my other cars. I mean, if I'm going to be stuck in a car, why not be stuck in a car I really like? You're talking like it's some taboo to put miles on a Porsche- it's not. You should be treating it no different than you would a Ford or Chevy or Toyota. Boasting a Porsche crest doesn't change the fact that it's still just a car.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I have an aversion to traffic snarls but especially in the 997 or TR6. Its partly a fear of overheating - although I have resolved any risks on the TR by installing electric fans.

Then there is the staring - when stopped in traffic everyone in any car moving slowly on the other lane stare in.

Quick Reply: Do you drive your Porsche in the rain?