Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate centre? or side plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Front license plate centre? or side plate?

This is unbelievable... I've been driving my car without a front license (just put it on the dash) for almost a year.. but then last Friday I got a ticket for no front plate ($109)... and then TODAY, I got ANOTHER ONE! While I was trying to see how to mount it, etc...

The idiot copper wouldn't give me a break... now I guess I gotto do it! Question is, should I do the regular front mid-plate? or get one of those mounts on the tow hook and mount on the side?

The side one is definitely better as you won't be drilling holes in the bumper... but I think it looks kinda weird. Anyone else thinks so?

BTW, I am gonna dispute the 2nd ticket!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

Up north is it a fix it ticket? This is, can you mount a tow hook plate, have it signed off and then remove it and take your chance again?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:38 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Up north is it a fix it ticket? This is, can you mount a tow hook plate, have it signed off and then remove it and take your chance again?
Hmm, not sure if I can do that. Basically, gotto pay the ticket and then mount something front.

I can basically use a tow hook plate vs. regular one.

Or... there's also a company that makes a photo of your plate, makes it into a sticker that you can use instead. It is STILL illegal, but it looks very real so unless they stop you for something else, they can't really tell from a distance.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the tow hook mount. It does look a little odd. Sometimes I think I might just drill two holes and put it in the middle. Didn't run a front plate for a year, but knew I would get ticketed sooner or later so put it on.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't know the law in Canada but in California you are given a reasonable amount of time (60 days?) to get the front plate violation fixed and signed off at a local Highway Patrol office. 4 days doesn't sound reasonable! You should win your dispute although no doubt it will be a PITA.

Personally I'd avoid drilling the holes. My plan has always been that if I got a front plate ticket I'd get one of the tow hook mounts, get the plate inspected, drive home, and remove the mount. Of course here it's a fix-it ticket with a $25 administrative fee. At $109 a pop I might reconsider my plan. Seems to me someone has posted pics of a license plate bracket that mounts in the center but doesn't require drilling holes in the bumper. Maybe that would work for you.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Don't know the law in Canada but in California you are given a reasonable amount of time (60 days?) to get the front plate violation fixed and signed off at a local Highway Patrol office. 4 days doesn't sound reasonable! You should win your dispute although no doubt it will be a PITA.

Personally I'd avoid drilling the holes. My plan has always been that if I got a front plate ticket I'd get one of the tow hook mounts, get the plate inspected, drive home, and remove the mount. Of course here it's a fix-it ticket with a $25 administrative fee. At $109 a pop I might reconsider my plan. Seems to me someone has posted pics of a license plate bracket that mounts in the center but doesn't require drilling holes in the bumper. Maybe that would work for you.
I never saw that one (center plate without holes)... did a quick search but couldn't find one.

Now, from the tow hook mounts, anyone better than others?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

CA changed things early this year. A missing front license has now a $178 ticket (non-fixable). We may still find some local cop issuing a fix-it ticket but the writing is on the wall.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not in a front plate state, but if I ever move to one, I plan to look into this...

http://www.altecproducts.com/
Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 AM
zwiggles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with a centre plate if I were you, the side plate just doesn't look right. I know that cops in town are a bit brutal about no plate and tinted front windows. I'm actually shocked that you went a year without a ticket.

On my old GTI, I bent the plate to match the curvature of the bumper and bought 10 rare earth magnets to mount the plate without drilling it. I think I did 170kph a few times without a problem...

By the way, is your car for sale? I thought I saw it on Craigslist.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my car and it's been in Texas for almost 4 years without a front plate. I've ordered a tow hook plate for it just in case since I'm using mine as a daily driver. I won't mount it unless I get pulled over.

I have seen a bracket that screws in underneath the top lip of the front bumper and the plate hangs from it. I may do this if I get a ticket and don't want to risk more.

Do these license plate infractions go on your driving record and negatively impact your insurance?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

I never liked that tow hole thing because it is offset--more unsightly than just drilling the holes! I wound up coming up with my own thing--no drilling into paint required.
Attached Images     
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know, Edgy. Your front end with the plate looks like Alfred E. Newman. I think I prefer the offset plate holder without drilling.

To the OP, check out moweraxle.com.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
CA changed things early this year. A missing front license has now a $178 ticket (non-fixable). We may still find some local cop issuing a fix-it ticket but the writing is on the wall.
Adias, I wasn't aware of that so I actually just got off the phone with my local CHP office. According to the officer I spoke with, the no-front-license-plate is still a fix-it ticket with a small administrative fee. He said that repeated violations may result in the larger fine you mentioned but that there has been no change in how the no front license plate issue is being handled from the CHP's perspective. I don't think individual municipalities can ticket for stuff like that, but if they can maybe that's where the change you mentioned comes from.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by alexb76
I never saw that one (center plate without holes)... did a quick search but couldn't find one.

Now, from the tow hook mounts, anyone better than others?
This links to the thread and pics I was referring to. Holes are required for the bracket (or apparently you can use double sided tape) but at least they are in more discrete locations and not right on the face of the bumper. Not saying I would necessarily prefer this to the tow hook mount, but it is an acceptable option, IMO, if you don't want the "offset look".

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...plate-law.html
Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

The one advantage of having a plate in the usual position is that it affords some degree of protection when you are in a parking situation--from the other guys!

Quick Reply: Front license plate centre? or side plate?