Sponsored by:

Goodwood Festival Of Speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 03:37 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodwood Festival Of Speed

To all of you non-UK members - if you can ever schedule a visit to England in early July, don't miss this stunning, brilliant event.

I spent yesterday listening to - and touching - magnificent machinery that otherwise would be out of reach. I actually stroked and cuddled a 1938 Auto Union and kissed a 917 and 908, Ferrari LM, Maserati birdcage........the list goes on. Stood alongside modern F1 Maclaren, Red Bull, Ferrari as they were started up and revved just for fun.

Utterly, utterly fantastic day. I would sell my soul for that Auto Union.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Goodwood is to the UK as the Monterey Auto week is to the US. Ours is coming in mid August.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 AM
McCulla
Pro

My brother and I rented motorcycles in Southhampton and rode to the event in 2004. Freeway roundabouts, with 3 or 4 lanes, with 4 or 5 exits, at speed, while navigating by tank bag map are a challenge! Traffic lined up for 5 miles to get in, lane split on the bikes and rode directly to the moto-dedicated parking lot and walked in (although we bought tickets about 6 months earlier!). Truly the most amazing automotive event I've ever been at, although I'd like to reprise the trip and make it to the Goodwood Revival next time. I've been to the Monterey Historics/Pebble Beach Concours and Concourso Italiano a half a dozen times, and the Goodwood event is off the charts. The Earl knows how to put on a show. If you ever get a chance, you'll not regret it!!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

I attended in 2006 & 2007, loved it, a must attend. I've been top both Monterey Weekend and Goodwood. Both are special and full of special cars and personalities.
Attached Images      
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Well, you're both lucky guys - like me.

It is the accessibility there that is astounding; the public can go anywhere, touch pretty much anything and speak to anybody. Nobody said "You can't go there". Added to that, we got there early and enjoyed a beautiful, still, warm sunny English day.

Bizarre occurence halfway through; we were watching 60's and 70's F.1 cars screaming up the hillclimb (standing just a hay-bale away from the track) when the Red Arrows arrived; my friend who was visiting from S.Africa looked at me and said "Where do we look? This is pleasure-overload!" and that sums it up. there is so much to see and do you are totally occupied for the day.

I shall return in September for the Goodwood Revival just to see WW.2 aeroplanes playing about.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
It is the accessibility there that is astounding;

and enjoyed a beautiful, still, warm sunny English day.

my friend who was visiting from S.Africa looked at me and said "Where do we look? This is pleasure-overload!"
For sure the accessibility is amazing! Stars everywhere! (That's the Jim Glickenhaus Ferrari P4/5 in the pictures below.)

Weather can be touch and go, in 2007 it pissed down. 2006 it was beaut.

I too am originally from S Africa
Attached Images     
Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks and sounds incredible.

Thanks for the pics Bruce.

Phil
Old 07-04-2010, 12:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I heard that Kerry Earnhardt was there drive one of Dale Sr's last winning cars.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:53 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
I heard that Kerry Earnhardt was there drive one of Dale Sr's last winning cars.
I think that is correct - didn't see it (or remember it) specifically but the NASCARs make a great sound.

Unbelievably, Agostini was there! Looked smooth and sexy and signed autographs for all. Mike Hailwood and Fittipaldi, too, both actually drove some F.1 in the hillclimb; Hailwood is seventy but still sharp as a tack.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:26 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all my English friends attend this event. I must go some time...

Quick Reply: Goodwood Festival Of Speed