Sponsored by:

OT: Getting an Aerovault trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default OT: Getting an Aerovault trailer

I posted this in the Racing/DE forum but thought my 997 friends might appreciate this as well. The model I am getting which is 12 inches longer will accommodate my 997 as well as the Boxster. About 50% of Aerovaults sold are to Porsche owners!

I have decided to make the jump from an open trailer to an enclosed one. Now that my 986 is a true Spec Boxster, it is no longer a fully weather proof vehicle. Hence an enclosed trailer can also serve as an extra garage spot for this track only car.

Being a somewhat different sort of person, I wanted to find a trailer which was also somewhat different. I found it: the BRE Aerovault. I saw one of these aluminum beauties at Limerock last month. SeanF made a post about these "finned" trailers and some of his pics are shown below. I thought it was a fabulous design so I started researching the trailer and decided to pull the trigger on one.

Mine will finish production in October.

The trailer was designed by Peter Brock. There is a great history of his racing and design background on the BRE site (Brock Racing Enterprises). He is known for designs such as the Corvette Stingray and the Cobra Daytona Coupe and its modern equivalent the Brock Superperformance Coupe. Peter’s wife is the CEO of BRE and I’ve had several very nice conversations with her on the phone. Last week, the Brocks were at Pike’s Peak watching Jeff Zwart break a class record for the hill climb in a 997 cup car.

Back to the trailer….
It is all aluminum. I am buying the “L” version which is 12 inches longer making its weight about 2400 pounds. VERY light for an enclosed trailer. The tongue weight of the trailer is just over 300 pounds and does not change much when loaded. The trailer was designed with aerodynamics in mind (as if you couldn’t tell from its unusual shape). It has a remote controlled winch for loading the car making it a one person operation. There is a shelf at the front of the trailer that most people use to hold a set of 4 tires and tool boxes. The sides of the trailer have channels for storing awkward items such as tables and chairs. The rear door is a ramp which in my case will come with optional extension ramps that fold down on the back of the door.

It ain’t cheap at $21K loaded but I think its form and function complement my unusual style (who else has Hello Kitty on their Porsches?).

I still might buy a pick up as a hauler although the Cayenne would do just fine.

I’m VERY excited about this aluminum babe!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

very cool. congrats!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Stunning! And a nice pic of Shasta!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow....nice set up.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that's a trailer... super nice!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Beautiful!! The Airstream of enclosed car trailers. Assume that they are manufactured in Northern California?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dave - that's awesome! is it winch on the front and tie downs in the rear?

my only random thought for you is that if you want to haul another set of tires in addition to what it shows, you may want to have a rack or something removable depending on the space. if you go for a multi day trip, you may end up with partly used up tires on the car and a new set, and a set of wets also.

or, if you're like my buddies out here, you could end up with some bum like me asking you to haul a set of tires for the track days

many congrats, it looks wonderful.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Dan - The trailers are made in WA.

Brendan - The winch is in the front under the shelves and there are 4 standard D-rings for tying down. I think another set of wheels would fit in front of the car when the Boxster is in the trailer. OR, if I get me one of those diesel pick me up trucks, they can go in the bed.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

4 1/2 month later and it's mine. I have a longer post in the DE/Racing forum but here are some pics!

Well it’s too damn cold today to wash the trailer so I took some dirty pics instead (hehe, took dirty pics).

Overall I’m really pleased with the trailer. I gotta say it’s pretty cool! There are two problems so far. The trailer was fairly wet inside when it was delivered. I found from water testing that there is water coming in from around the front doors so I did some silicone caulking today and will test it again tomorrow. It’s a bit annoying but I think it’s fixable. The other problem is that the builder only put 24” of wiring harness from the nose of the trailer. It won’t reach my truck so I had to put an extension cord on it. No big deal.

The winch works great and the remote control makes it a snap to load a car in a one person operation. The trailer has two dome lights in it. There is a switch located inside the front door. It looks really cool at night with the lights on. The back up lights on the trailer are also on a switch and are meant to help with loading the trailer at night.

I took the trailer out for a brief spin and it tows very quietly and easily.

PICS!!!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Very nice!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coochas,

Nice trailer. Was the $21,000 for the trailer and shipping? Or you had to pay for shipping? I'm on the east coast myself, and really like the trailer.

George
Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by firefisher
Coochas,

Nice trailer. Was the $21,000 for the trailer and shipping? Or you had to pay for shipping? I'm on the east coast myself, and really like the trailer.

George
Delivery was about $1 a mile so 3400 for me.
If you'd like to chat or come see mine, send me a PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:55 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for the information on the trailer. I'm planning on taking a trip to Hingham, MA in the near future to look at a spec miata. I would love to come take a look at your trailer.

George
Old 11-24-2010, 06:54 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave, congrats... looks like a great trailer, I look forward to hearing your impressions after having had it awhile.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Delivery was about $1 a mile so 3400 for me.
If you'd like to chat or come see mine, send me a PM.
He should have charged .80 cents cause it's aero.

Quick Reply: OT: Getting an Aerovault trailer