997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extending CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Tim didn't mean you. The "bone picker" would be a purchaser that was not given the correct answer from the dealer as to the CPO eligibility parameters.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ahhh, I thought since you had quoted my post, you meant me. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
That ^ is not correct. A car that is no older than 8 years old and have less than 100,000 miles can be covered by a CPO warranty, if they pass inspection. Check out the second question in the attached link.

Porsche CPO FAQs

From Porsche web site:

Are all pre-owned Porsche vehicles suitable for the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Program?
Vehicles eligible for inclusion may be current model year and be no older than (8) years old from the original in-service date with less than 100,000 accumulated miles or 160,000 kilometers. In addition the vehicle must pass a stringent 100+ point inspection conducted by our authorized Porsche dealerships. This program excludes Carrera GT.
Ok, just relaying so don't kill the messenger!

The info I gave came right from Porsche of Hilton Head. The manager told me that no matter what, once the car is 6 MYO (or 2 years past the 4 year factory warranty) there is no CPO available thru Porsche. This is why the dealers offer approved warranties thru Zurich, ect that will give you 1- 4yrs on the car with a set deductable per visit (i.e. $100 in my case). My 24K, MY05 came with a 2/24, 100 ded, loaner, roadside asst, towing, ect. for a small fee.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
No bone to pick here. I just didn't want others to think that 6 years was the oldest a car could be for Porsche to warranty it. If I am going to refute what someone else says, I want to provide the source of my information.
My question is: Is Porsche "approved" warranty (as you quoted before from the site) the same as "A factory Porsche CPO" warranty. They can approve another company to supply a warranty on their used cars older then a preset year(i.e. like Zurich, or another aftermarket warranty company).

Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
The info I gave came right from Porsche of Hilton Head. The manager told me that no matter what, once the car is 6 MYO (or 2 years past the 4 year factory warranty) there is no CPO available thru Porsche. This is why the dealers offer approved warranties thru Zurich, ect
That sounds like they are spinning you a yarn! Right now there are MY2002 cars out there which are advertised as CPO from official Porsche dealers (only 2 admittedly).

CPO costs the Porsche dealer money and they try their best to pass this on to you. Insurance from a 3rd party doesn't cost the dealer anything - in fact they probably get commission - so it does not surprise me that they are trying to push you away from CPO and onto a 3rd party.

Quick Reply: Extending CPO Warranty