Sponsored by:

997S Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM
SeegsRacer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 997S Rotor Replacement

I have a 2007 997S that I run aggressively at DE events. I run Pagid yellows on front and blacks on rear. Very tired of blowing thru the Brembo stock drilled rotors and looking for an alternative, thinking slotted. Deman's not made for 997s, looking at Performance Friction or DBA's, and not necessarily looking to spend big $ on floating as may rid the car in 1 year. Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by SeegsRacer; 04-05-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock is most affordable option, Suncoast is among lowest price including shipping. Not many other choices - Girodisc has a nice slotted offering but pricey. Many of have explored this issue and don't like the stock drilled rotors because they always crack at the holes when used for track. Still if cost is an issue to you doesn't seem to be a better option than simply swapping them out after about 12 track days for the fronts, rears seem to last almost 4x's as long when using yellows all around - with you using black in rear they will go quicker.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike (mdrums) and I have run the numbers and hopefully he'll chime in. It's really hard to justify going with anything but stock. At $320 a set for fronts and $280 for rears, you'd have to keep a car many years to come close to catching up with the cost of alternative rotors. I go through 2 sets of fronts for each set of rears and 1 front lasts me a whole year. Alternative rotors will still wear and crack as well.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

If you're not keeping the car longer than a year (what you stated), stock's the best option. Otherwise, a slotted, floating rotors would be a good investment.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I've run the numbers and you never catch up to the cost of slotteds. Ever. If I'm missing something, please fill me in. I'm not trying to be snappy about it, I'm seriously interested in a cost-effective slotted rotor. $2200 for a set of 4 will never pay off when stock is $600.

BUT, there are advantges to the lighter 2-piece rotors. Just hard to put a dollar value and if you are planning to only keep the car 1 year, OEM sounds like the best solution. Even if you have to replace the fronts when you sell / trade your car, it's only $320.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

wow ronCt you have you P souped up. i guess you do a lot of track. i will open a new topic regrding upgrades and hoping to get some activity..
Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a set of Giro Disc's slotted 355mm

Ron and Mike are right about cost for stock.... but when have any of my mods been bought to be cost effective
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

True that my friend... I'm itching to get a set of Giros myself and just today I pretty much spent my front stock rotors. Heck, I sprang for a set of 997 GT2 Sport Buckets, why not some upgraded rotors.

But back to the OP - if keeping the car 1 year, it's hard to complain about a $320 front set of replacement OEM rotors.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

If you're not keeping the car long as you stated, stock's the best option. If not, then a slotted floating rotor might be a better option!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Mike (mdrums) and I have run the numbers and hopefully he'll chime in. It's really hard to justify going with anything but stock. At $320 a set for fronts and $280 for rears, you'd have to keep a car many years to come close to catching up with the cost of alternative rotors. I go through 2 sets of fronts for each set of rears and 1 front lasts me a whole year. Alternative rotors will still wear and crack as well.
Right, my conclusion also! Last year I went through 3+ (almost 4) sets of front rotors and a set of rears in 35 track days. Ran the numbers for Girodiscs (which I would like to have) but the cost of original discs and replacement rotors and hardware just never gets close to cost of original rotors. I swap them myself - if you are paying someone to do it and also save on labor, I estimate it could make sense after 4 sets of stock fronts versus a set of Girodisc fronts and 1 set of replacement rotors - if they hold up twice as long as stock before cracking out as some report. Can't see where rears could be cost effective. Still I look at the Girodisc site hoping they will lower the prices at some point - sweet rotors...
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Renntrack.com is putting together a group buy on some Giro Disc's fyi
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Group buy is interesting if real discount. Personally would like to see an attractive price on front set and the replacement rotors and hardware. Last quote I got for just a pair of replacement rotors and hardware shipped was $600 - nearly the cost of 2 sets of stock fronts. I thought the quote had to be wrong but I was assured it was right...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

There's another factor in the analysis - I haven't been able to discover how much the replacement discs cost for the aftermarket units. If you are saying it's $2200 for the works and then $1200 for replacement discs, then that helps to figure out the pay back. Depending on use, it could be many years. In my case, looks like about 7 assuming the aftermarket lasts 2x the OEM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
There's another factor in the analysis - I haven't been able to discover how much the replacement discs cost for the aftermarket units. If you are saying it's $2200 for the works and then $1200 for replacement discs, then that helps to figure out the pay back. Depending on use, it could be many years. In my case, looks like about 7 assuming the aftermarket lasts 2x the OEM.
Yep. Based on that pricing you really have to want them.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to GiroDisc slotted rotors up front but kept the stock rotors on the rears. The Giro's certainly last longer and I don't have to keep checking the distance between the cracks. Thus far, very happy with them. When they wear-out, I'll simply replace the discs for $300 plus about $45 for new hardware. I paid a tad over $1K for the fronts.....so the way I see it, I had a one time $750 charge for the switch (as the hats are reuseable) and I don't have to replace them as often going forward. I left the rears alone as they don't wear nearly as quickly and I found swaping them to be unessary. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 997S Rotor Replacement