Sponsored by:

Extending CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 AM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending CPO Warranty

If you buy a car from a private party that still has 1 year left on the CPO warranty, can you extend the CPO warranty for another 2 years before the original warranty expires? If so, how do you go about doing it?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I don't think so.

My understanding is that the private party first has to go and get the additional 2 yr warranty added to the factory 4yr one before they sell it to you.

If it's already a CPO car and outside the original 4yr factory deal, the only way to get an additional 2yr CPO is buying through a dealer.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I don't think so.

My understanding is that the private party first has to go and get the additional 2 yr warranty added to the factory 4yr one before they sell it to you.

If it's already a CPO car and outside the original 4yr factory deal, the only way to get an additional 2yr CPO is buying through a dealer.
+1
Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default insane

here is my quote.... what a joke, from easycare.

05 997 base, 4 yr 50K additional miles 250$ deduct $8,195.00 "stated care package", best the offer.

Primary care 3 yr w/250 deduct was $3,805.....more reasonable I guess.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
jfk308
Advanced

I don't think so.

This car has a current CPO with one year left on the CPO warranty. My understanding is that the remaining year on the CPO warranty does transfer to the new owner as long as you buy the car from a Porsche dealer, or a private party - the car cannot go through a non-Porsche dealer or broker.

I thought I had heard that owners of CPO cars were able to have their CPO warranty coverage extended for another 2 years before the original 2 year CPO warranty ran out - essentially having the car re-certified by your dealer. I'm not talking about "selling" the car back to the dealer and "re-purchasing" it, but simply having the dealer add on the extra 2 years. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems pretty steep from Easy Care.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im unaware of an additional CPO wrtty. Of course an Non CPO, extended is available.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by jfk308
I'm not talking about "selling" the car back to the dealer and "re-purchasing" it, but simply having the dealer add on the extra 2 years.
I think that's what you'll effectively have to do. For Porsche to give you a CPO they have to inspect it, replace the parts that are not up to scratch and then sell it to you - the CPO warranty starts from the date of sale or the expiry of the "new car" warranty.

One important thing to bear in mind is that a CPO warranty carries on from the end of the "4yr new car" warranty if the car is still under that or from the date of purchase if it is out of "new car" warranty. You may be able to get a CPO car with a new 2 year warranty added but this will extend from the date of your purchase, not from the end of the previous CPO.

In summary, unless you buy a car that is still under the new car warranty, you can only get a maximum of 2 years CPO coverage.

This is my understanding - I may be wrong.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This car has a current CPO with one year left on the CPO warranty. My understanding is that the remaining year on the CPO warranty does transfer to the new owner as long as you buy the car from a Porsche dealer, or a private party - the car cannot go through a non-Porsche dealer or broker.

I thought I had heard that owners of CPO cars were able to have their CPO warranty coverage extended for another 2 years before the original 2 year CPO warranty ran out - essentially having the car re-certified by your dealer. I'm not talking about "selling" the car back to the dealer and "re-purchasing" it, but simply having the dealer add on the extra 2 years. Can anyone confirm this?
You cannot re CPO a CPO'd car for an additonal number of years.
I bought my car from the second owner and he bought it 6 months early CPO'd from a dealer.

The warranty on the car transferred to me with 1 year and 6 months remaining. the P-car dealers will not re CPO a previously CPO'd car.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I'm having trouble imagining how this will go without the dealer first "owning" the car. You're essentially walking into a dealer with your CPO'd car asking for it to be re-certified. I don't see how that's possible seeing as PCNA is already cracking down on non-dealer sales being run through a dealer for CPO, much less someone bringing in their own car off the street.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that's what you'll effectively have to do. For Porsche to give you a CPO they have to inspect it, replace the parts that are not up to scratch and then sell it to you - the CPO warranty starts from the date of sale or the expiry of the "new car" warranty.

One important thing to bear in mind is that a CPO warranty carries on from the end of the "4yr new car" warranty if the car is still under that or from the date of purchase if it is out of "new car" warranty. You may be able to get a CPO car with a new 2 year warranty added but this will extend from the date of your purchase, not from the end of the previous CPO.

In summary, unless you buy a car that is still under the new car warranty, you can only get a maximum of 2 years CPO coverage.

This is my understanding - I may be wrong.
You are correct! I just got a new 997 (new to me: 05 Launch 997S) and that is what the dealer told me on the CPO. If the car is 6 years old or older no CPO is offered. They do have nice aftermarket warranties from 1-4 years for a fee.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe this can and does occur in Europe, but not in North America. The Porsches sold in Europe have an initial 2 year warranty and the European owners can add additional years of warranty if they chose to do so.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
You are correct! I just got a new 997 (new to me: 05 Launch 997S) and that is what the dealer told me on the CPO. If the car is 6 years old or older no CPO is offered. They do have nice aftermarket warranties from 1-4 years for a fee.
That ^ is not correct. A car that is no older than 8 years old and have less than 100,000 miles can be covered by a CPO warranty, if they pass inspection. Check out the second question in the attached link.

Porsche CPO FAQs

From Porsche web site:

Are all pre-owned Porsche vehicles suitable for the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Program?
Vehicles eligible for inclusion may be current model year and be no older than (8) years old from the original in-service date with less than 100,000 accumulated miles or 160,000 kilometers. In addition the vehicle must pass a stringent 100+ point inspection conducted by our authorized Porsche dealerships. This program excludes Carrera GT.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
That ^ is not correct. A car that is no older than 8 years old and have less than 100,000 miles can be covered by a CPO warranty, if they pass inspection. Check out the second question in the attached link.

Porsche CPO FAQs

From Porsche web site:

Are all pre-owned Porsche vehicles suitable for the Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Program?
Vehicles eligible for inclusion may be current model year and be no older than (8) years old from the original in-service date with less than 100,000 accumulated miles or 160,000 kilometers. In addition the vehicle must pass a stringent 100+ point inspection conducted by our authorized Porsche dealerships. This program excludes Carrera GT.
I think someone has a bone to pick.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

No bone to pick here. I just didn't want others to think that 6 years was the oldest a car could be for Porsche to warranty it. If I am going to refute what someone else says, I want to provide the source of my information.

Quick Reply: Extending CPO Warranty