Sponsored by:

Matching machined edge color on 19" Sport Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching machined edge color on 19" Sport Wheels

I have one wheel in need of major curb rash repair (pictured) and 2 others with minor but noticeable (to me) edge damage. The shops that perform wheel repair looked at my wheels and say they need to send it out becuase it is a machined edge.

I've found and read plenty on prep and paint repair for the standard Porsche silver body wheel color (wurth, etc) , but nothing on paint matching of a machined edge.

My question; has anyone used the chrome sprays that are on the market to achieve a similar match? I understand the prep, sand, bondo process but am wondering if anyone has had any success.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

"Machined?" I don't get what they mean by "machined edge." Do you mean the whole wheel is "polished?" I.e. no paint just polished alloy metal covered with a clear coat?

It looks like it's the standard silver-painted wheel to me, so the Wurths silver should do the job, after a little filler and sanding work.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

the edge is just machined, find someone with a lathe and remachine it and then re clear the edge.... or just make them all uniform and have a wheel repair guy tape it off and paint silver after sanding your curbage.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the edge is just machined, find someone with a lathe and remachine it and then re clear the edge.... or just make them all uniform and have a wheel repair guy tape it off and paint silver after sanding your curbage.
Yes, machined after stamping or casting, of course, OK.

So what he's saying is the edge is so badly damaged there's really no point in filling/sanding/painting because the filler will just crumble and fall out or can't be done so it looks nice and even and perfect.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Be careful when attempting yo match the color on the Carrera Sport wheels. They are a darker silver that most other Porsche OEM wheels. I believe they are GT Silver.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

The spokes on the Carrera Sport wheels are painted GT Silver as gota911 says. The rims are not painted; they are machined and polished aluminum with a clear coat protective finish.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Looks to me like the OP's wheels aren't polished (just painted).

For example Turbo wheels are painted and polished. Polished part is more mirror-like. FWIW, They use Meteor Grey on the standard turbo wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

As you have discovered, the Carrera Sports are a unique wheel in the 997 lineup. It is in fact machined along the edges and painted GT Silver everywhere else. A clearcoat seals the machined surface. There ARE repair facilities who specialize in repairing those machined edges through a paint method vice machining. But it is best to do BOTH wheels that you can see on one side together so that the one will not stand out. I have been told that they do a pretty good job. I took mine down to a place that actually remachines them.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It is in fact machined along the edges and painted GT Silver everywhere else. A clearcoat seals the machined surface.

Interesting. Anybody have a close up photo which shows this? OP's wheels look uniformly painted.

BTW, The clue would be "machined" also means "polished" in the way you guys are using the terms?

Of course my BMW wheels are polished (and clearcoated) but not a bright reflective finish like the Turbo polish..

Too weird. My brain hurts. Good luck!

Last edited by LlBr; 06-17-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Interesting. Anybody have a close up photo which shows this? OP's wheels look uniformly painted.

BTW, The clue would be "machined" also means "polished" in the way you guys are using the terms?

Of course my BMW wheels are polished (and clearcoated) but not a bright reflective finish like the Turbo polish..

Too weird. My brain hurts. Good luck!
The main point is that the wheels are not uniformily painted. As described in the ordering guide: "One piece alloy wheels with ten spoke design. Including wheel painted in GT-Silver metallic and polished rim". Obviously there are different degrees of "polished" from mirror like to a more satin finish. The rims of the Carrera Sport wheels are closer to satin than mirror like, but they are most definitely polished and clear-coated bare aluminum in that area, not painted.
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The main point is that the wheels are not uniformily painted. As described in the ordering guide: "One piece alloy wheels with ten spoke design. Including wheel painted in GT-Silver metallic and polished rim". Obviously there are different degrees of "polished" from mirror like to a more satin finish. The rims of the Carrera Sport wheels are closer to satin than mirror like, but they are most definitely polished and clear-coated bare aluminum in that area, not painted.
Thanks Mike. What threw me from the beginning of this thread was the questionable use of the term "machining." Then the photographic evidence confused me more because it wasn't showing much difference.

Anyway, you use of the term "satin" when referring to an intermediate degree of polish is good. FWIW, here's the Bimmer wheels showing that they are polished, not painted and somewhere between "satin" and "mirror" polish. Thanks again.

Good luck to the OP. Looks like the tire should be removed and the wheel handed over to a specialty shop to get them back as speced. If it were I? I'd just have the machin..., er..., I mean polished part of the wheels painted GT Silver to match the spokes and hub. Let the restorer bring them back 40 years from now. Heck, maybe just DIY (paint them) patiently and carefully if your skills are good.
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

A friend of mine had his refinished the painting way (vice machining) and have to say it looked pretty good. I can't post a shot unfortunately--he goes through cars like crazy! I think that was two cars ago. (He replaces them when they need windshield washer solution).
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
(He replaces them when they need windshield washer solution).

Don't go there. I can't remember EVER adding fluid/water to any of my cars' wiper systems.

Quick Reply: Matching machined edge color on 19" Sport Wheels