Sponsored by:

Tires with rubber build up after tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Tires with rubber build up after tracking

I got a question... when tires have excessive rubber buildup after tracking, does it mean they have over-heated and are ruined? or just have to rub it off by driving, or shaving?

More specifically, if PS2's have em, is that a bad sign? Here's a cpl of pic of em.

I've always had some build-up after tracking that went away quickly after a couple of hundred miles... but never this bad!

Last edited by alexb76; 06-16-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

They are fine...this is normal. Just drive the car and after a while they will look normal again.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
They are fine...this is normal. Just drive the car and after a while they will look normal again.
So, these are not excessive?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks normal to me
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 AM
jkramer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

much of what you are seeing is rubber that's being picked up of the track, not necessarily from your tires. I race motorcycles and you should see what my race slicks look like after an hour of racing
Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I guess they picked up more as they're wider than my older tires!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Very normal for a tire driven on the track. That's not rubber from your car, it's bits your hot sticky tires have picked up off the track that were left on the racing line by other cars and "marbles" from the track edges.

As other have said, very normal and will go away with a little bit of street driving.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats... you were driving the car hard enough to heat up your tires.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:53 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

like others have said, those are track marbles picked up by your hot tires. No big deal that your tires got that hot, but that's a lot of rubber to be picking up unless you were driving an AX or short course with tight radii. Were you driving outside the line often? Did you have any off-track excursions into unused pavement?

Your tires are unhurt and the marbles will fall off with a highway drive, but I'd be concerned that you drove on a part of the track where marbles accumulate and things get slippery, fast. An example I can think of is WGI turn 10, where folks sometimes take the turn on the far outside to pit in and pick up all that loose rubber and gravel. Some have gone straight off the track doing this, or lost control and slid back inside on a hot track. Just a caveat for your next event. Hope you had fun!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

As others have said just some "marbles" picked up on hot tires. Also, looks like your tire pressure might be a couple pounds high based on wear pattern. Not utilizing full tread width.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TigerStadt
As others have said just some "marbles" picked up on hot tires. Also, looks like your tire pressure might be a couple pounds high based on wear pattern. Not utilizing full tread width.
Why do you say that? Anything specific on the wear?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by number9ine
like others have said, those are track marbles picked up by your hot tires. No big deal that your tires got that hot, but that's a lot of rubber to be picking up unless you were driving an AX or short course with tight radii. Were you driving outside the line often? Did you have any off-track excursions into unused pavement?

Your tires are unhurt and the marbles will fall off with a highway drive, but I'd be concerned that you drove on a part of the track where marbles accumulate and things get slippery, fast. An example I can think of is WGI turn 10, where folks sometimes take the turn on the far outside to pit in and pick up all that loose rubber and gravel. Some have gone straight off the track doing this, or lost control and slid back inside on a hot track. Just a caveat for your next event. Hope you had fun!
There are lots of places to pick up marbles. I've come in with my PSCs covered like that without ever getting off the racing line, except to pass. Sometimes you pick up marbles in the paddock or the pits, as well as along the line to merge onto the track exiting the pits.

I'd also like a clarification on TigerStadt's comment about tire pressure & wear. I see a little bit of shoulder wear, but that's normal for the PS2 when it does track duty. A "feature" of this tire is a shoulder that's designed to roll over a bit under hard cornering to increase the size of the contact patch. Except at the track, you're always cornering hard...
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
There are lots of places to pick up marbles. I've come in with my PSCs covered like that without ever getting off the racing line, except to pass. Sometimes you pick up marbles in the paddock or the pits, as well as along the line to merge onto the track exiting the pits.

I'd also like a clarification on TigerStadt's comment about tire pressure & wear. I see a little bit of shoulder wear, but that's normal for the PS2 when it does track duty. A "feature" of this tire is a shoulder that's designed to roll over a bit under hard cornering to increase the size of the contact patch. Except at the track, you're always cornering hard...
i think what he's referring to is the difference in the wear on the outside shoulder. the top line (pictured) indicates overinflation - and the bottom line indicates that there was more tread contact with the surface.

as the day progresses in an event, typically you'll see tire temps go up, and if you don't lower the pressure, you're effectively running on less tire, in case case, probably an inch
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2010, 04:49 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Originally Posted by brendo
i think what he's referring to is the difference in the wear on the outside shoulder. the top line (pictured) indicates overinflation - and the bottom line indicates that there was more tread contact with the surface.

as the day progresses in an event, typically you'll see tire temps go up, and if you don't lower the pressure, you're effectively running on less tire, in case case, probably an inch
Yes, this is what I was referring to. Sorry I wasn't more specific. Also, it looks like the OP's first pic is a front and the second is a rear. The front appears to have been optimally inflated and the rear slightly over inflated. Higher pressure keeps the outside edges from contacting/wearing. Lower pressure makes the tire roll over and wear more on the edges. The difference can be as little as only 1-2 lbs. of pressure. You can influence understeer and oversteer characteristics with tire pressure alone.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TigerStadt
Yes, this is what I was referring to. Sorry I wasn't more specific. Also, it looks like the OP's first pic is a front and the second is a rear. The front appears to have been optimally inflated and the rear slightly over inflated. Higher pressure keeps the outside edges from contacting/wearing. Lower pressure makes the tire roll over and wear more on the edges. The difference can be as little as only 1-2 lbs. of pressure. You can influence understeer and oversteer characteristics with tire pressure alone.
No, all pics of rear tires only.

Thanks for the info helps a lot.

Quick Reply: Tires with rubber build up after tracking