Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vandalism - best way to handle it? (in retrospect)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
henrysko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP...you handled it fine, life's way too short to stess over a maybe.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by henrysko
To the OP...you handled it fine, life's way too short to stess over a maybe.
Yup, and its a car ( albeit an expensive, depreciating 'consumable') that can be fixed.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crw

Fortunately, it was not a scrape, but instread one of the guys must have had some paint on his hand and decided to wipe it on my car.
What they DO is one thing.

OTOH, Imagine what they say about us!

Think of them as unruly pets. They can't help it: they've had bad training. What can you do?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As a long time Porsche owner, I can assure you that there are many out there who are envious of the owners of Porsche automobiles. They often times merely make a negative comment or joke, or will do something physical to express their envy. I understand that class envy has gotten nearly out of control in the UK. We have seen a substantial amount of vandalism in the UK to Porsche cars. The generation of people who want to work hard to afford to buy one of these is long gone. It seems we have more who would rather belittle someone who owns a Porsche than to aspire to greatness and success to be personally able to buy one. You may exclude the generations of 'trust fund babies' from these discussions. The end result is that at sometime or another you will fall victim to these sociopaths. You should never take it personally because your car just happened to be convenient to these degenerates. Simply demonstrate your maturity by recognizing that these people are disturbed and that so matter what is done it can be corrected. Man built these machines, and man can repair them. If you let something like this affect your emotions you will have fallen victim to their tactics.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Of course if a car is vandalized it's not the end of the world as Edgy01 says, but as Alfaguy2 says one should not cave like a duck in front of these low-lives. Taking a non-chalant attitude re this issue, as some expressed, is very PC but it sends the wrong message to the evil-doers.

It's nice to see a LEO such as Alfaguy2 in this forum with the correct attitude. :thumbs:
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
one should not cave like a duck in front of these low-lives.
Yeah, that's interesting. I have this fantasy going that if I ever see somebody carelessly smacking my door with their door I will kick their door in right then and there and then just leave.

Of course every situation should be evaluated, if it's a frazzled mother with two kids I won't add to her problems. Same thing if it's a Hell's Angel.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan,
You don't have to go across the pond to look at class envy, entitlement, want it now mentality...its been happening in this country for a few years and encouraged by our government.
I remember in 1991 living in Simi Valley, a country red neck hickish town in those days where most had pick up trucks. My wife could not start her MB SEL and this thirty something couple says out loud " he should have bought American". Turned out that it was a bad battery...it was a Delco not a MB battery!
abe
Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Nugget
All things considered, I'd rather be the guy with paint on his Porsche than the angry painter.
Nugget, I seriously need to buy you a beer - where in Houston are you?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:37 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have an egg mark on my driver door that can only be fixed with a repaint. Why anyone would go through the trouble of throwing an egg at a car is beyond me.

Just yesterday I was telling my wife about how out of control the general public is getting. I said that in response to a woman in an old Toyota who aggressively blocked me from entering traffic from a store so that I would not get ahead of her.

Seems to me that the bad economy is getting to people. Peaceful coexistence is starting to be hard to find. There is a tear in the social fabric.

On the other hand, I have had waves reciprocated from the last 5 911 drivers I've come across. It's been nice.

I can only do my part...

-T
Old 06-13-2010, 05:11 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

The press and Govt is instrumental in inflaming this to each escalating level of angst.

The issue of class envy is way WAY over the top, and I believe it is intentionally inflamed.

I'm sure in the UK it's hideous. But when a govt over-spends, and WAY over taxes (both citizens and private enterprise) the have nots become increasingly resentful... so much so that
a. they give up in trying to achieve because it is so far out of reach to do so (the system becomes rigged)
b. and in their anger that they CAN'T step-up, they lash out at those that have
c. so much to that those are fortunate enough to have $$ but are not a part of the Elite upper-crust (who all have adequate security); will play down their wealth and not have nice things, so that they won't be trashed by the indignant masses of "have-not, and never wills"

Peasants and Serfs.

But I digress. Sorry. Now back to our favorite cars...
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over here (in Ireland) open displays of wealth and consumerism is generally frowned upon no doubt partly caused by years of catholic teachings which degraded the rich and championed the poor.

I am the only person as far as I know in my town (10,000 - 12,000) who owns a 911 and I am not wealthy.

Of course there are many here who could afford a fleet of brand new 911's but they drive around in Toyota's and VW's because they don't want people to think they are show off's.

I am sure some resent my purchase of a 911 but I do not care. What saddened me most of all was the reaction of some 911 owners who seemed to think I (a police sergeant) had 'gone above my station' by buying the car - thankfully again that does not really bother me that much either.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 932 Likes on 521 Posts

Well, say what you want about "BP" - not that I am defending them. But that same anti-corporate sentiment drilled into americans, the demonization of corporations, anything in the private sector that represents wealth (except for the entertainment industry, who is "on board" politically), the attacks on "the rich" - its the fostering of that sentiment that caused the persons you describe to go after your car. A Porsche represents these ideals which are being demonized, and the american culture says its OK to target it.

Get used to it, its only going to get worse.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car got vandalized because the owner went out of his way to park it in a "safe" spot.

It's like people who put clear bras on their cars only to wind up with razor cuts in the paint.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by boolala
The car got vandalized because the owner went out of his way to park it in a "safe" spot.

I don't know. I can definitely see that happening if the parker takes up two spots, even if those spots are off in a corner somewhere of a sparsely occupied lot.

Humans are such nasty little creatures. That's why they're not getting anywhere on this planet, much less the rest of the Universe.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:30 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

had my car vandalized in recent weeks. There is no excuse and I wish Karma pays a visit to whoever does this type of things. We should worry about helping others, not hurting others

Quick Reply: Vandalism - best way to handle it? (in retrospect)