Sponsored by:

Stone Grey Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone Grey Leather

I have a bee in my bonnet about the grey leather interior in the 997.1s... I really don't like the look.

However, I am finding cars that are cheaper than my price range with all the bits I want but with this grey interior. Should I just settle for it or should I keep looking for the interior colour I want, even though I'm going to end up paying more, usually much more?

The way I look at it, I'm going to be looking at the car from the inside more than the outside so the interior colour is much more important than the exterior. Right now, black is by far my favourite interior (feels very serious) but I would be happy with tan (feels a bit more playful).
Old 06-08-2010, 04:23 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT SETTLE!!!

i dont like grey either
Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I'd rather pay more to get what I really want than to save money with something I need to make-do.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Grey interior doesn't effect the drving dynamics of the car. As long as it has everything else(or almost) that you want and you can save thousands, it makes sense to look past the grey.

Some will say that buying a P-car isn't the most sensible thing but there's a big difference between crazy(buying a P-car, but that's a good kind of crazy) and stupid (passing up a P-car for thousands of dollars less than another comparble P-car based soley on the interior color).

Of course this is just my opinion. If you were referring to a truly awful interior color (like some of the Nephrite Green interior 996s that exist), then I reserve the right to change my mind.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

In addition to not liking the look, gray gets really dingy if you're not meticulous about caring for it. So, first, you have a color you don't really like, you'll like it even less when it gets dingy, and to add further insult, it will take a fair bit of time for you to clean and care for something that you don't like in the first place. Pass on it and get black or tan if interior color is important to you. It's up to you to define "important".
Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Do what you want...I would never settle for a grey interior personally. As much as the car should be viewed as a whole package, I just cannot bear the idea of having a stone grey interior on my car. It is a bad interior...heck no. Otherwise why would they make them and why would people buy them. It's just not for me. So my advice: Keep looking.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Get what you want . I have the bi color option with black on top and grey below the window line. Best of both worlds.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GR997S
Get what you want . I have the bi color option with black on top and grey below the window line. Best of both worlds.
agree, here's mine.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The wrong color can be a nagging annoyance every time you drive. Keep looking!

The grey leather is one of Porsche's uglier interiors, imo, on par with whatever they call that hideous beige...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
The grey leather is one of Porsche's uglier interiors, imo, on par with whatever they call that hideous beige...
I don't know what "that hideous beige" is called but the exceptionally nice one is called sand beige.

The grey leather looks really good on many of the older cars I see, suggesting it will wear well over time. But you have to like/want it in the first place.

An option might be to pull the seats (and whatever other trim you want) and have it repainted black (or that beautiful sand beige) and resealed. Can't cost too much to do that, can it?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought my first 911 eleven years ago, with linen (off-white) interior and I hated it. I eventually dyed it blue to make a triple blue cab. I swapped out the steering wheel, hand brake lever and shifter for black. Then I could tolerate it at least. I just sold it. Dyeing is not a great solution but it was the lesser of evils (staying with linen, selling the car, etc). My next p-car was a track 944 with a maroon interior. I hate that, too, but it's a track-only car now and I ripped out most of the interior recently.
I just bought an '06 C2S and I was very strict to only look for black interiors. I will never buy another P-car without black interior, or at least very dark. My own humble opinion - I cant stand the grey or the tan.
Know what you like and buy what you like. Pay more if necessary. +1000 on 'don't settle' comment above.
Good Luck
- sorry for the long story
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i was iffy about grey and now love it.. only thing i like more is sea blue and terracotta..

i got lucky, my first 997 was full leather and i hated every second of it (nice to see stitching, upkeep=pain)

wanted something non black for new 997 and this grey was ok and now i love it... super cool in the sun... doesnt show dirt... just looks great.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't appreciate it so don't get it. I don't like the beige color and would never buy that one.

But I'm still liking my stone grey, even after 4 years...

Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't like the gray interior then don't compromise, get whatever color you really like. Otherwise you will regret it every time you get in the car.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 AM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I ordered my car with gray and I still really like it 3 1/2 years on. Get what YOU like. There's plenty of black interior cars out there.

Quick Reply: Stone Grey Leather