Sponsored by:

Black or White?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:40 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
I did just that. I bought a 2009 C2S pdk Racing Green launch car (with sprts chrono) that others passed on for 1 1/2 yrs. But this was due to the color, not the options. Green is a non-traditional porsche color.
(I got lucky, in that I think PRG color is dynamite, and is the color I would have ordered anyway!)
Bought the same PRG launch car... Only problem was the interior --- tooo much beige.... I ordered black carpet floor mats to break up the interior... What a difference the black mats make...
all the right extras -- haven't tried the launch yet...
Old 06-04-2010, 06:43 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Well the black/black 07 CPO Tip sold (advertised for $54k), 1 week after it was advertised... So it wasn't all that unpopular.

I'm not averse to driving a manual - I did nothing but for the first 10 years but I they were always right hand drive and it felt correct to have the stick in the left hand and the steering wheel in the right. The other way around just doesn't feel right to me although I'm sure I can get used to it, I'm not sure if I want to get used to it.

Now I'm looking at this car as a daily driver, to and from work mostly and out to clients, so I don't want to add to work stress when I'm driving which a manual and Houston traffic is liable to do. I'm not going to track the car, just enjoy having a car I lust after.

The search continues!
Well Kuhan, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and a solid handle on your finances.

My only advice is that since this is your dream car, don't hurry the decision - enjoy the process of test driving the options and make sure to get what you want.

Best of luck, and enjoy in good health!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Well the black/black 07 CPO Tip sold (advertised for $54k), 1 week after it was advertised... So it wasn't all that unpopular.

I'm not averse to driving a manual - I did nothing but for the first 10 years but I they were always right hand drive and it felt correct to have the stick in the left hand and the steering wheel in the right. The other way around just doesn't feel right to me although I'm sure I can get used to it, I'm not sure if I want to get used to it.

Now I'm looking at this car as a daily driver, to and from work mostly and out to clients, so I don't want to add to work stress when I'm driving which a manual and Houston traffic is liable to do. I'm not going to track the car, just enjoy having a car I lust after.

The search continues!
There will be other Tip cars coming your way, just as I said only thing is not to stretch your finances, and 997.1 has done most of the depreciation, so it's a wiser financial purchase (as much as buying a Porsche is! ).

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

- My payment: $670 (comfortable)
- My payment: $1,070 (stretch)
Anyone for whom a $400 swing moves the finances from comfortable to stretch is not in a position to buy a late model 911 IMO.
I'm very conservative in my finances and I have plenty of equity so I'm not worried about the debt picture. I'm going to get money back from FSA at the end of the year and a decent tax refund (I make a point of overpaying) so I could reduce my payment by $200 a month in January and same again the following January.
You could be the exception to the above rule and GL. dave

BTW, you are tucking away $1,000 a month for college educations, right?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal philosophy is pay cash for depreciating assets, finance appreciating assets to extent possible. If you can't wait for the cash to pay for the "lifestyle upgrade" then don't "stretch" on a financed purchase. That being said, 1.9% money is really cheap.

One thing about Porsche, they will continue to perfect the 911 as they have done for 40 years. The 997.2 PDK and direct injection are improvements over their 997.1 counter parts.

Maybe buy a CPO'd '07 and enjoy the most reliable 911 to date. In any case, get the color and options you want.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
BTW, you are tucking away $1,000 a month for college educations, right?
My kids are 2 and 4 and I already have more than enough for both in college.

Originally Posted by TigerStadt
Personal philosophy is pay cash for depreciating assets, finance appreciating assets to extent possible. If you can't wait for the cash to pay for the "lifestyle upgrade" then don't "stretch" on a financed purchase. That being said, 1.9% money is really cheap.
That has been my mantra but maybe even more conservative. I have 3 houses, one is paid in full, one where I owe 10% and the other where I owe 30% - this is why at 35 I have my family covered for life if I die tomorrow, excluding the insurance. BUT, after all this hard work, perhaps it's time for me to enjoy a little of it myself? That's what is motivating me to put myself in my dream car - yeah, I can die tomorrow but what's the point of living if you don't take time to enjoy it?

PS, about time I became a member eh... more than enough good advice here to justify it!

PPS, I just told my wife that you lot want me to buy a manual and I said, what about you? Her reply is, "I'll just have to practice" - that's why I love her! She's a keeper!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
mschwa3439
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

wud pass on both
Old 06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

My kids are 2 and 4 and I already have more than enough for both in college.
Congrats as you are among the few who have $250k squirreled away as such a young age.
PPS, I just told my wife that you lot want me to buy a manual and I said, what about you? Her reply is, "I'll just have to practice" - that's why I love her! She's a keeper!
"She's keeper". Yes, indeed! dave

Quick Reply: Black or White?