Black or White?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, I would not buy pdk without SC even for a good price as it will be a pain to resell it later if opportunity for an upgrade arises.
it is generally not a wise to idea to buy something other people do pass on. even if it looks nice from all other angles. but compared to 997.1 with tip 997.2 car with PDK is ages ahead - bigger brakes, bigger engine, more power and PDK can still shift perfectly in manual mode without SC. but to sell it will be tough.
I agree 100% with that ^ statement!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
- Next year my oldest will start public school so I get that cash back. So I'll be tight for about a year.
Wait a year, then pick up a '09 or '10 PDK with all the options you want and you won't be stretched.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
I did just that. I bought a 2009 C2S pdk Racing Green launch car (with sprts chrono) that others passed on for 1 1/2 yrs. But this was due to the color, not the options. Green is a non-traditional porsche color.
(I got lucky, in that I think PRG color is dynamite, and is the color I would have ordered anyway!)
You make a valid point that your car was was available due to color and not options. Like you, I really like the Porsche Racing Green color and would not hesitate to get that color.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
You make a valid point that your car was was available due to color and not options. Like you, I really like the Porsche Racing Green color and would not hesitate to get that color.
I agree. Getting a great car in a color that you like for a deal is great.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to keep this car for 4-5 years so not having sport chrono is no problem for me. I'm no racer I just want to put myself in my dream car - I've already been waiting 3 years and I have to buy this year to take advantage of a tax position.

I'm very conservative in my finances and I have plenty of equity so I'm not worried about the debt picture. I'm going to get money back from FSA at the end of the year and a decent tax refund (I make a point of overpaying) so I could reduce my payment by $200 a month in January and same again the following January.

Now my only concern is should I be worried about a car that has been on the lot for 2 years? The CPO seems to take the edge off that for me...
Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i had 997.1 and got the white launch coupe and love it.. 10x better than 997.1 i had imo...

id get the 997.2 and maybe cut back on a few other things to make it less of a stretch, its surely worth the extra $ imo.
Absolutely disagree! It's never wise to stretch yourself over a diminishing asset.

997.1 tip is not that great I agree, but in a recent Nurburgring trip, compared manual 997.1 to 997.2 and the difference is minimal (report to follow).
Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm going to keep this car for 4-5 years so not having sport chrono is no problem for me. I'm no racer I just want to put myself in my dream car - I've already been waiting 3 years and I have to buy this year to take advantage of a tax position.

I'm very conservative in my finances and I have plenty of equity so I'm not worried about the debt picture. I'm going to get money back from FSA at the end of the year and a decent tax refund (I make a point of overpaying) so I could reduce my payment by $200 a month in January and same again the following January.

Now my only concern is should I be worried about a car that has been on the lot for 2 years? The CPO seems to take the edge off that for me...
Here's the deal...

1. DO NOT stretch your finances for a car, that is a diminishing asset! Note these cars ARE expensive to maintian, rear tires alone are $1000+ and they go every 6K miles.
2. If you don't race, don't care about some minor improvements in PASM, PDK. and 30HP, 997.1 is 80-90% of 997.2
3. Tip in 997.1 drags power away... 997.1 manual is a much better option.

So, I suggest you look elsewhere for a manual 997.1 with similar final payment that is comfortable for you.

However, if you're NOT a manual guy and was planning to get a Tip either way, 997.1 Tip is just THE MOST enjoyable Automatic car you can possibly get... do not hesitate.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:54 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Listen: You do what floats your boat. But this is the general consensus on PDK: SC is a must have option. It's probably the number one option to have on a 997.2 with PDK. It adds a sports/sports plus button which remaps the engine to give such an aggressive response and let's you have that much more fun shifting gears in the manual mode. It holds lower gears as long as possible only changing up when the revs hit 7200 rpm. I am sorry, but there is no way I would want a PDK equipped car without a SC. Just play with one and then you will know what I am talking about. But again, it's your money, you do what suits you.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but for this year only both my kids will be in Montessori (youngest starts in September) which is about $800 each a month. Next year my oldest will start public school so I get that cash back. So I'll be tight for about a year.

Ha! That $800 will never come back to your wallet.. It will be absorbed into other child rearing costs.

That said, if $1K/mo is tight now, it will ONLY get tighter as your kids get older.

Unless you tell someone what year it is, no one will notice a 2007 or a 2009. Get the one you can afford. Has the recent market crash/credit crunch taught you nothing?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76
1. DO NOT stretch your finances for a car, that is a diminishing asset!
That's the reality check I needed - thank you!

I'm going to see the black/black one tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

What prices are you getting on the black on and white one? If we know the numbers, we can help to make sure you are getting a decent (fair) deal.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Gj325
Pro

Black/Black 2007 C2
- Bose
- Tip
- Electric seats
- Sport Chrono
- 22k miles
- 3 years warranty (CPO)
- My payment: $670 (comfortable)

vs

White/Grey 2009 C2 (launch car)
- Bose
- PDK
- Electric driver seat only
- 200 miles
- 4 years warranty (CPO)
- My payment: $1,070 (stretch)

I'm buying an auto and that's what I want. Normally, the extra $400 a month would not be a problem but for this year only both my kids will be in Montessori (youngest starts in September) which is about $800 each a month. Next year my oldest will start public school so I get that cash back. So I'll be tight for about a year.

This is my first Pcar and I know the smile on my face with the 07 will be 90% of the smile I have with the 09, at least for the first year.

Your thoughts?
I would go the PDK I have a 2009 Targa 4S I am buying a Turbo S main reason wanted more power but I don't drive enough to do the six speed justice. I have 6200 miles in 14 months of driving put 1800 miles on in one trip. My car is Malachite Green beautiful color. I hate getting rid of it love the car it runs drives perfect use no oil. I just want more power and PDK plus PCCB is my main reason for trading. I am losing some serious bucks. Do your self a favor buy what you really want. Here is a test I use to use before I started paying cash for everything after I got on my feet (house paid for all credit cards gone)
Can you make 3 payments on car without busting budget and falling behind on any notes you owe. If your answer is yes and you have a secure job go for it you will be OK.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I must agree that a 997.1 tip is going to be difficult to sell on.

When buying my 2005 997.1 which had every available option ticked I could not understand why the original buyer specified a manual over tip but as I researched I soon found out why.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Do you not know how to drive a manual? Why not get a 07 manual and save even more money? If the latter is a stretch, don't do it. You'll have to tach on maintenance & insurance costs on top of that. Like another poster mentioned, there are tiny differences between the 07 and 09 MY. Keep that $400 cause you never know when another one of your cars is going to die and you need to get something else.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Well the black/black 07 CPO Tip sold (advertised for $54k), 1 week after it was advertised... So it wasn't all that unpopular.

I'm not averse to driving a manual - I did nothing but for the first 10 years but I they were always right hand drive and it felt correct to have the stick in the left hand and the steering wheel in the right. The other way around just doesn't feel right to me although I'm sure I can get used to it, I'm not sure if I want to get used to it.

Now I'm looking at this car as a daily driver, to and from work mostly and out to clients, so I don't want to add to work stress when I'm driving which a manual and Houston traffic is liable to do. I'm not going to track the car, just enjoy having a car I lust after.

The search continues!

Quick Reply: Black or White?