Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion on my dealer's comments re installing a new instrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:36 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Rather than playing around with re-coding the other cluster, why don't you simply the gauge faces from the cluster you bought and install them on your current cluster. That way the car's orginal cluster stays in the car. Have the dealer do this. My dealer in MA said it was a 1.5hr job to install gauge faces. Maybe another 30 mins in your case since they need to pull the gauge faces off the other cluster.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonKM
Rather than playing around with re-coding the other cluster, why don't you simply the gauge faces from the cluster you bought and install them on your current cluster. That way the car's orginal cluster stays in the car. Have the dealer do this. My dealer in MA said it was a 1.5hr job to install gauge faces. Maybe another 30 mins in your case since they need to pull the gauge faces off the other cluster.
I never really seriously considered just swapping the gauge faces- but I will.

Maybe you can shine a light on something I'm not sure about: The max speed on the cluster in my car is 200 mph (322 km/h). The new cluster I have has a max speed marking of 320 km/h so I assumed that was the correct scale, however the Cargraphic site shows their gauge faces with a max speed marking of 330 km/h. Does the 330 km/h line up with the 200 mph, or is it a little bit "ahead" so the scales are still crrect?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, what I take it you want to do is replace the entire instrument cluster to change the left of center dial to km/h instead of mph (the only difference between clusters as far as I know). Now, I don't know about you, but personally, I've NEVER used that speed dial before. Even if you could take the time to sit there and accurately read it, the scale is so condensed, it probably couldn't be accurately read to more then a 3-4MPH range. I'm almost certain (in fact I just looked at my manual, so I'm positive) that you can change the center digital display to and from km/h and mph at whim, so my question is, why not just do that change and leave the entire cluster as is? You're going to be spending a lot of time (changing cluster, without car, etc), money (installing, coding, parts), and stress making a change, that in the end, I would be surprised if you really ever noticed or used.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

I would do the gauge faces. If you don't want to do it yourself and can live without your car for a bit http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
I am sure these guy's can help.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

The metric cluster should go to 330 KMH while the US cluster to 200 MPH. You can see pics of both clusters in the owners manual on page 92 and 94.

Are you sure the metric cluster you have only goes to 320 KPH?

In my case with the cargraphic cluster, the 330 KPH is slightly ahead of the 200 MPH mark when you overly the two clusters, therefore it's a simple swap of the gauge faces and then change over you digital display to KPH, which is easily done (check the owners manual), although assume you done this already if you have the car in Canada.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by camhabib
Unless I'm mistaken, what I take it you want to do is replace the entire instrument cluster to change the left of center dial to km/h instead of mph (the only difference between clusters as far as I know). Now, I don't know about you, but personally, I've NEVER used that speed dial before. Even if you could take the time to sit there and accurately read it, the scale is so condensed, it probably couldn't be accurately read to more then a 3-4MPH range. I'm almost certain (in fact I just looked at my manual, so I'm positive) that you can change the center digital display to and from km/h and mph at whim, so my question is, why not just do that change and leave the entire cluster as is? You're going to be spending a lot of time (changing cluster, without car, etc), money (installing, coding, parts), and stress making a change, that in the end, I would be surprised if you really ever noticed or used.
The difference is also the temperature scales deg F / deg C, but regardless you are 99% correct- I will almost never really use or look at those anyway, and my cluster is already set to digitally show km/h. As I noted in my OP, "it's just my thing"

Originally Posted by JasonKM
The metric cluster should go to 330 KMH while the US cluster to 200 MPH. You can see pics of both clusters in the owners manual on page 92 and 94.

Are you sure the metric cluster you have only goes to 320 KPH?

In my case with the cargraphic cluster, the 330 KPH is slightly ahead of the 200 MPH mark when you overly the two clusters, therefore it's a simple swap of the gauge faces and then change over you digital display to KPH, which is easily done (check the owners manual), although assume you done this already if you have the car in Canada.
I just checked- and I feel like an idiot- it goes to330 km/h (someone must have changed it while I was sleeping!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abe
Importing a euro spec car and keeping the instrument panel in km adds to the a value and mystic to the car. I would have thought that the same might apply..."wow, your car came from the US and it reads in mph"! I guess not huh...
abe
You guessed right. Actually, to save face with Canadian car buyers, they instilled a stigma "oh, that is a U.S. car". Infering it is worth less.

P.S. I just keep my speedo in miles.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:01 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib
I don't know about you, but personally, I've NEVER used that speed dial before. Even if you could take the time to sit there and accurately read it, the scale is so condensed, it probably couldn't be accurately read to more then a 3-4MPH range.
Exactly. I NEVER look at the dial, only the digital read out.

I would go with the dial face swapping scenario. Much much simpler and means you dont need to have someone ripping the car apart....they NEVER quite go back together again properly......
Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
The difference is also the temperature scales deg F / deg C, but regardless you are 99% correct- I will almost never really use or look at those anyway, and my cluster is already set to digitally show km/h. As I noted in my OP, "it's just my thing"
There is more than just the analog displays.

The illuminated displays also change.

US display: "BRAKE", rest of world gets the graphic "(o)", similar for ABS and a few other things where the US illumination is a 'verbose word' and the rest of the world gets a common graphic.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on my dealer's comments re installing a new instrument cluster?