Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion on my dealer's comments re installing a new instrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:49 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your opinion on my dealer's comments re installing a new instrument cluster?

I would really appreciate any knowledgeable opinions on my situation:

I am in Vancouver and imported a car from the US last fall. I picked up a used metric (km/h & deg C) instrument cluster on eBay and inquired at my dealer about installing it and having it properly coded to the car in order to read the correct mileage and ensure proper functioning of the PCM. I was told they would try but it was possible that a used cluster "might not take the coding". In order to try, they would have to install it first, and then if it didn't work, would have to uninstall it and either reinstall my old one or a new metric one. I asked, and a new one is $3100 + labor!

So to my question- I believe they need to install it in the car before they can try and code it, no issue there. Problem is, I have had a very bad past experience with them which causes me to seriously doubt their honesty, so I am basically questioning whether anyone has ever heard of a used cluster not being able to be coded? It was sold to me as 100% working with around 3000km so I have no reason to question on that end, but I am suspicous that that they will simply say "no it didn't work, you need a $3100 cluster". Your thoughts?

Some points to consider when responding:
  • I know I don't need a metric cluster, and that it can display speed digitally. I have already done that, but I want a metric cluster- it's just my thing.
  • I have spoken to my favorite indy shop, but unforunately while they want to help me, they said the Porsche dealer is the only place that can recode my cluster properly.
  • They are the only dealer in Vancouver. Next closest dealer is in Bellingham WA, who I have heard good things about, so that is a possibility.
  • I will certainly appreciate other suggestions, but am most interested in my question- "has ever heard of a used cluster not being able to be coded?"

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

The cluster can be removed and replaced in about twenty minutes, that we know. The codes? Good question. Must take about fifteen minutes to research and to then enter the re-code if the coffee machine on the other side of the building.

I believe you answered your own question about your local dealer: IMO? Walk away.

Go to the place in Bellingham. I was in Seattle years ago for a year with a P-car and heard only good things about them but got serviced locally. If it's the same owner (Roger Jobs?) go there. No reason you can't schedule it so you can go into town and enjoy yourself while they do the work.

That's my two cents. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Can you slip across the border to the Seattle area and consult with another dealer?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably cheaper to change all 3 road signs in Canada to MPH.
I'll chip in $20.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree I would to go to the WA dealer since they no incentive to sell you a new part.

Not sure what you paid for that cluster, but I converted mine from MPH to KPH using gauges faces from Cargraphic. I think I paid around US$800 for them and the dealer charged 1.5hr of labour to install.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I cannot see why a new cluster could not be installed in the car and not be coded to the car.

What is on a cluster? Seems like all that is needed is to marry the new cluster to the car's computer so they will talk to each other, yes? I cannot see a reason for Porsche to build a variety of clusters for the same model car that were not interchangeable as I'd think the only difference between them are the graphics shown on the face: the letters and numerals and the graphics that are lit by the display.

I'd rather have non-US (read non-dummy) graphics on my car as well. Eg I understand the international pictographs for brakes and other things and don't need them spelled out in text like I'm an idiot.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
I would really appreciate any knowledgeable opinions on my situation:

I am in Vancouver and imported a car from the US last fall. I picked up a used metric (km/h & deg C) instrument cluster on eBay and inquired at my dealer about installing it and having it properly coded to the car in order to read the correct mileage and ensure proper functioning of the PCM. I was told they would try but it was possible that a used cluster "might not take the coding". In order to try, they would have to install it first, and then if it didn't work, would have to uninstall it and either reinstall my old one or a new metric one. I asked, and a new one is $3100 + labor!

So to my question- I believe they need to install it in the car before they can try and code it, no issue there. Problem is, I have had a very bad past experience with them which causes me to seriously doubt their honesty, so I am basically questioning whether anyone has ever heard of a used cluster not being able to be coded? It was sold to me as 100% working with around 3000km so I have no reason to question on that end, but I am suspicous that that they will simply say "no it didn't work, you need a $3100 cluster". Your thoughts?

Some points to consider when responding:
  • I know I don't need a metric cluster, and that it can display speed digitally. I have already done that, but I want a metric cluster- it's just my thing.
  • I have spoken to my favorite indy shop, but unforunately while they want to help me, they said the Porsche dealer is the only place that can recode my cluster properly.
  • They are the only dealer in Vancouver. Next closest dealer is in Bellingham WA, who I have heard good things about, so that is a possibility.
  • I will certainly appreciate other suggestions, but am most interested in my question- "has ever heard of a used cluster not being able to be coded?"

Thanks in advance.
some porsche components require codes dealers do not even have so they have to request it from germany. i do not know if it applies to cluster or not.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Probably cheaper to change all 3 road signs in Canada to MPH.
I'll chip in $20.
Oh, that is mean.
Originally Posted by utkinpol
some porsche components require codes dealers do not even have so they have to request it from germany. i do not know if it applies to cluster or not.
I believe PCNA in Atlanta has all the codes for any VIN. My car had PCM issues which apparently were a result of a replaced cluster that had been installed before I bought it. Apparently the cluster wasn't communicating properly with the PCM. But they were able to get it working. These cars are very electronically complex.

Joel: I suspect the Vancouver dealer is getting even with you for purchasing the car from the USA. I agree with the others re running down to Bellingham to have it done. Or else picking up just the gauge faces and changing them instead of the whole cluster. Good luck with it.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

This exact topic came up on the 996 Forum about a week ago. The OP wanted to know if the mileage in the new cluster he bought could be changed to reflect his car's mileage. Loren (who runs RennTech.org) said that once the new cluster recorded greater than 63 miles, the mileage could not be changed.

I don't know if the 997 cluster is set up the same way, but if it is then you will not be able to recode the used cluster you purchased. You might want to contact Loren on Renntech.

Here is the link to that thread.

996 cluster odomoter removal diy mileage reset
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Importing a euro spec car and keeping the instrument panel in km adds to the a value and mystic to the car. I would have thought that the same might apply..."wow, your car came from the US and it reads in mph"! I guess not huh...
abe
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

I read a couple of posts on opening up the cluster and swapping dials, but wasn't left with a warm and fuzzy fealing (read: a little scared to pull of the needles etc) Are the cargaraphic dials OEM-looking?

I actually brought my car into the dealer on an unrelated PCM & light controller coding issue and it went well (once burned, twice shy- so I only have to be shy one more time and then maybe I can trust again. Baby steps. Baby steps).

I spoke to my service advisor about the cluster and he talked to the tech and gave me some answers which reflected some more careful thought and knowledge. He said that the magic number was if the cluster was under 10,000km, and was from the same type of car originally, it could very likely be coded properly. He said they couldn't install used parts, but they had no problem if I installed it and then tried to code it for me.

The information I am getting sounds logical and reasonable and is certainly helping me build my comfort level with them. I now have to decide if I want to put in a black instrument cluster and either keep my white SC dial, or in turn replace it to a black one as well. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the dealer in MA where I purchased the car install the gauge faces as part of the deal. Seems they had done several of these for cars they sold and shipped outside the US.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd let them install the used cluster. If a problem arises, have them swap back to your original, return the used one, and don't sweat the small stuff!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Just call around to see what US dealers say. I've also had issues with MCL, they are just too arrogant, as they're the only dealer around!

Sunset in Portland is just great, that's the only one I've dealt with, but it's a bit of a drive!

PS. What happened to your promise to show me your PSE
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
Just call around to see what US dealers say. I've also had issues with MCL, they are just too arrogant, as they're the only dealer around!

Sunset in Portland is just great, that's the only one I've dealt with, but it's a bit of a drive!

PS. What happened to your promise to show me your PSE
You've been in Germany! And it's been raining like a s-o-b! But that's besides the point... when do you want? PM me, maybe we can get some others in the 'hood together too.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on my dealer's comments re installing a new instrument cluster?