Sponsored by:

What do you think? CPO 07 Tip blk/blk

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think? CPO 07 Tip blk/blk

This is really not the colour I want but I seem to be pushed into getting a car in state as my lender will do me a rate of 4.9% but have to buy in state and I doubt I will get that from any dealer elsewhere.

http://www.momentumporsche.com/used/...3242f85905.htm

Advert doesn't say CPO but dealer says it is so with about 9 months left on the original + 2 years on the CPO, it's ideal.

My criteria:
- Budget $60k
- <30k miles
- CPO
- Coupe
- Tip (or else wife can't drive it and I want to stay married)
- Prefer white/silver/grey over tan or nat leather but can't find any in my price range
- Other preferred option is a lighter blue (e.g. cobalt) over black or blue
Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would avoid a Tip if possible, resale value has never been great on them, and since the PDK came out they've tanked. I understand the wife issue, but resale value on Tiptronics has become more of an issue since '09. If you must get a Tip squeeze as much out of the dealer as you can.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I would avoid a Tip if possible, resale value has never been great on them, and since the PDK came out they've tanked. I understand the wife issue, but resale value on Tiptronics has become more of an issue since '09. If you must get a Tip squeeze as much out of the dealer as you can.
I agree. Avoid the Tip unless you can steal it.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Kuhan,

A few years ago, 2 or 3 guys on the 996 Forum were getting ready to buy a 996. They stated that they didn't want a Tip but needed to get a Tip for exactly the same reason you stated (so wife could drive it).

All of them bought the Tip and within a month they all reported back that, after driving the car a couple of times, their wives didn't like driving the car.... too low, too small, too fast, etc. So they ended up with a Porsche with a Tip that they didn't really want in the first place.

Just saying.......
Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

A color not to my liking and must buy in-state for financing reason, plus a transmission I don't want in order to stay married...sounds like a disastrous recipe to get into a P-car.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Kuhan
Racer

OK, so there is a general dislike of Tip from everyone who has responsed... well I would love a PDK but the absolute cheapest one I can find is around $75k so I need to save another $15k before I would commit to one. That would take me another year so do I wait?

My wife can drive a stick but hasn't in about 15 years... It's not so much that she's going to use the car, it's the thought that she at least has the option. If she doesn't like it then I can always sell it and buy a PDK in a few years. I've also driven a Tip and I think it's quite agreeable - especially as this car will be a daily driver for me.

As for the financing, if someone can tell me I can get rates that low or similar elsewhere, it's a non-issue. I have good credit >750...
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
This is really not the colour I want but I seem to be pushed into getting a car in state as my lender will do me a rate of 4.9% but have to buy in state and I doubt I will get that from any dealer elsewhere.

http://www.momentumporsche.com/used/...3242f85905.htm

Advert doesn't say CPO but dealer says it is so with about 9 months left on the original + 2 years on the CPO, it's ideal.

My criteria:
- Budget $60k
- <30k miles
- CPO
- Coupe
- Tip (or else wife can't drive it and I want to stay married)
- Prefer white/silver/grey over tan or nat leather but can't find any in my price range
- Other preferred option is a lighter blue (e.g. cobalt) over black or blue

I think that you need to look at this comprehensively, i.e. what your payment will be, all in, rather than the sale value... here's an example:

You buy a car for 60 grand with 4.99% interest and your payment is $1,132 before taxes with noting down for 60 months - remember that at the end your car is 8 years old. You buy a brand new one for 1.99% interest that costs 75 grand and your payment is 1,105 if you take a 72 months loan... and at the end you have a 6 year car... I would go get a new or nearly new one, enjoy the ultra low interest rate, locked for 6 years and just enjoy - assuming you can afford "comfortably"... this means that you have to budget for tires, maintenance etc which on a Porsche is meaningful.

Good luck with your decision and as most have said, do NOT get the wrong color, the wrong transmission, etc... Get what you really want!

Trending Topics

Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kuhan
As for the financing, if someone can tell me I can get rates that low or similar elsewhere, it's a non-issue. I have good credit >750...
Penfed is offering 3.99% on used cars.

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRa....asp?PassVar=1
Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is to save for what you really want.
This is your dream car - the compromises that everyone performs as part of "normal" decisionmaking really don't have as much weight for such an emotional decision.

I'd encourage you to bring your wife along to a few test drives - this both makes her feel involved in the decision (always a good thing to do things "together") and will also let you get a feel for whether she really wants to drive the car on a regular basis (make sure to drive it on a "regular" road instead of just some mirror smooth tarmac around the dealer)

Don't worry - I waited quite some time to be able to get exactly the one I wanted.
I usually have huge second-guess buyer's remorse on expensive things, but for the Porsche, zero.

Good luck and pleasant dreaming - don't forget to enjoy the buying process!

P.S. As an added bonus, when the 998 announcement and details come out in a year or so, you should see a drop in 997.2 used pricing. If I were buying now
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Teach your wife to drive a 6-speed. You're compromising otherwise.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Kuhan
Racer

You lot are a bad influence...

I can just afford this:
http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...&pnr_=1&lnr_=1

Let's see what the dealer says...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Avoid the tip. Also, penfed.org is offering 3.99% on used car loans with no silly in-state restrictions. (oh, heh, beat to it. just count me as another endorsement for penfed. I had my C2S loan through them and they were great to deal with).
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
A color not to my liking and must buy in-state for financing reason, plus a transmission I don't want in order to stay married...sounds like a disastrous recipe to get into a P-car.
+1
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 06 C2S has a tip, and for the way we use the car, it's an awesome tranny. I was suprised at how intuitive it was about holding/shifting gear relative to throttle position.
My wife is a spirited driver (read redneck) and didn't want a stick either, so we went tip - no regrets.
If you're going to track it, by all means get a stick, but for overall street hell raising, the tip will do just fine.
A very substantial bonus to the tip is you don't have to worry about missed shifts, and over-revving. Even in manual mode, the tip will shift at red line whether you toggle a button or not. Another translation is the dealer can't cite abuse in denying an engine warranty claim when you have no over-revs.

Bottom line, let you and your wife's use of the car dictate what you buy, and if you both enjoy cars like my wife and I, get the tip, keep her happy, she'll be more inclined to please you.....
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
swajames
Racer

I agree with PHX 911. There's nothing wrong with the tip. Sure, it's not as good as the more modern PDK, but it's nowhere near the spawn of the devil that it's often made out to be. I suspect the vast majority of us with 6-speeds would actually be (much) quicker most of the time were we driving the tip, just as we would with PDK.

Quick Reply: What do you think? CPO 07 Tip blk/blk