Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think? CPO 07 Tip blk/blk

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

A tip is not bad. Not bad at all. The problem is most of the tip owners bought it as an automatic and do not know how to drive it. Manual owners always put it down because they do not know better.

The 911 TipS is actually quite good, but you need to understand how to use it to make it fly. I know someone with a C4S Tip and he makes it fly.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't put down the tip because I don't know better. I discourage people from buying a tip because I'm confident that as PDK cars start to become common on the used market it's going to absolutely crush the value of any tip 997 cars on the market.

I think that buying a tip car today is second only to buying new when it comes to guaranteeing that you'll suffer staggering depreciation over the course of your ownership.

Someone who is financing their purchase and maybe stretching a bit to be able to buy the Porsche (not that there's anything inherently wrong with either of those things, btw) should be cautious. It's easy to end up upside-down on your loan and holding on to a car that's going to cost money to sell or trade down the road.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
I don't put down the tip because I don't know better. I discourage people from buying a tip because I'm confident that as PDK cars start to become common on the used market it's going to absolutely crush the value of any tip 997 cars on the market.

I think that buying a tip car today is second only to buying new when it comes to guaranteeing that you'll suffer staggering depreciation over the course of your ownership.

Someone who is financing their purchase and maybe stretching a bit to be able to buy the Porsche (not that there's anything inherently wrong with either of those things, btw) should be cautious. It's easy to end up upside-down on your loan and holding on to a car that's going to cost money to sell or trade down the road.
Have you considered that perhaps the OP will keep the car a long time and depreciation may not be a concern?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I can just afford this:
http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...&pnr_=1&lnr_=1

Let's see what the dealer says...
Unfortunately this one is already sold. Maybe I should keep looking with a budget of $70k for a PDK... the more I think about it, the more this seems like the right thing to do... CPO car with 4-5 years warranty - that's about as long as I would want to keep it.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

There will always be a market for older tips because, contrary to many able-walleted P-car owners beliefs, not everyone has the coin to buy a newer, PDK-equipped car.

I quite enjoy my '07 tip and can drive the hell out of it.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Unfortunately this one is already sold. Maybe I should keep looking with a budget of $70k for a PDK... the more I think about it, the more this seems like the right thing to do... CPO car with 4-5 years warranty - that's about as long as I would want to keep it.
Wanna buy mine?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Nugget

I am not sure I agree. You can't get anything prior to an '09 with PDK so there's not any real competition between the two. If you're looking at an '08 and prior, your only choices are 6-speed or Tip. The change to the 997.2 upgrades from '09 and beyond makes a more material contribution to the difference in value than the transmission in the older cars.

Also, looking at dealer inventories here you don't see a massive difference if any between comparable cars solely due to the transmission. We might like to think that a 6-speed holds its value better as time progresses and loses less value relative to its new/optioned-out price than the cars with the Tip, but I don't think used prices on older 997's really bear this out.

Last edited by swajames; 06-02-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
A tip is not bad. Not bad at all. The problem is most of the tip owners bought it as an automatic and do not know how to drive it. Manual owners always put it down because they do not know better.
The 911 TipS is actually quite good, but you need to understand how to use it to make it fly. I know someone with a C4S Tip and he makes it fly.
Would you like to enlighten us all as to how to properly drive a Tiptronic transmission. Or, is this just a typical post of yours where you have NO personal experience, yet supposedly know of someone who may.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Kuhan,

If you get a PDK, MAKE SURE the car also has Sport Chrono Plus. That takes the transmission from very good to GREAT! It allowa you to change the transmission mapping and gives you three different versions... Norman... Sport.... and Sport Plus.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by todd.
Would you like to enlighten us all as to how to properly drive a Tiptronic transmission. Or, is this just a typical post of yours where you have NO personal experience, yet supposedly know of someone who may.

Todd: when I post I try to offer from my experience, which experience you do not know, but obviously seem to have an opinion of. I should not indulge your abusive tone but I bite for others' benefit.

Yes, I have driven 911 TipS. The TipS in D mode is highly adaptive and tends to choose a very sedate shifting map if usually driven in traffic as most people drive automatics - limo style. On a typical test drive it is highly likely that the TipS feels sluggish. It is not. Drive it with the left foot and it will start changing shifting patterns and shift more aggressively.

The TipS locks the torque converter (TC) from 2nd up, meaning the TC is only used in 1st. It makes for a very smooth take-off (no PDK jerkiness complaints ). Like PDK it also blips the throttle on downshifts, keeps the gear on an incline and does not upshift on a turn.

Besides D mode, it has a manual mode too, and then it's up to you. Does not shift as fast as a PDK but it is no slouch. Those who say so, better measure their manual shifting times and compare.

I the TipS as good as PDK. Clearly not, but it is not as bad as most make it - most, who have never experienced it properly, that is.

P.S. - a PDK in D Normal mode may appear sluggish too depending on the current (learned) shifting map.

Last edited by ADias; 06-02-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: PS added.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
Todd: when I post I try to offer from my experience, which experience you do not know, but obviously seem to have an opinion of. I should not indulge your abusive tone but I bite for others' benefit.
Yes, I have driven 911 TipS. The TipS in D mode is highly adaptive and tends to choose a very sedate shifting map if usually driven in traffic as most people drive automatics - limo style. On a typical test drive it is highly likely that the TipS feels sluggish. It is not. Drive it with the left foot and it will start changing shifting patterns and shift more aggressively.
The TipS locks the torque converter (TC) from 2nd up, meaning the TC is only used in 1st. It makes for a very smooth take-off (no PDK jerkiness complaints ). Like PDK it also blips the throttle on downshifts, keeps the gear on an incline and does not upshift on a turn.
Besides D mode, it has a manual mode too, and then it's up to you. Does not shift as fast as a PDK but it is no slouch. Those who say so, better measure their manual shifting times and compare.
I the TipS as good as PDK. Clearly not, but it is not as bad as most make it - most, who have never experienced it properly, that is.
P.S. - a PDK in D Normal mode may appear sluggish too depending on the current (learned) shifting map.
If you have experience, you should state such experience. However, having only driven, not owned a Tip you are not in any position to question actual Tip owners abilities, or buying intentions, "The problem is most of the tip owners bought it as an automatic and do not know how to drive it.".

I've actually owned two Tiptronics, and make no assumptions as to other Rennlister's abilities or reasons for buying, to do so would be arrogant.

Last edited by todd.; 06-03-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll add one more thing.....
I asked my redneck wife, whom knows how to drive a stick, btw - hell she can back a 28' boat down a crowded launch ramp, why she was so adamant about having an automatic.
The simplicity of her response was enlightening. "I want both hands on the wheel."
Celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary last night, btw.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary last night, btw.
Congratulations! We celebrate our 14th this month, been together 20 years.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Since we're all in such marital bliss, I'll chime in too! Together 19 years and celebrated our 11th last month.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My sister's husband's friend's girlfriend knows someone with a Tiptronic and told us how it works.

Quick Reply: What do you think? CPO 07 Tip blk/blk