Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering new 997, advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010 | 06:19 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Default Ordering new 997, advice sought

I plan to order a new 997 in a few months and would like some advice and opinions. I’ve searched the forum and gotten some info but want more specifics.

First - some background; I currently own a 2002 996 C4S with 6-speed manual. It's mostly a track car with occasional daily driving use. I've added PSS10s, DAS Sport roll bar, Euro GT3 seats with 6-point harnesses. Unfortunately, I’ve modded it to the point where my wife no longer likes to ride in it and it’s not a great daily driver.

I want to order one built to my specs as opposed to buying a used one as I did with the 996. I do not intend to modify this one as I will probably drive it on the street quite a bit more than the 996. However I will continue to track it regularly so want to start with the most capable track car without moving up to the GT3.

I plan to start with a C2S. Opinions and advice on options please:

PDK – yes or no? I’m thinking yes.

Sport Chrono?

PASM?

PCCB?

I’d like the lightest wheels, anyone know how much the various wheels weigh?

Will the sport bucket seats accommodate 5 or 6-point harnesses? It appears they have the pass-through for the shoulder belts but an unsure about the sub-straps.

Can I order the Porsche Techquipment roll bar installed at the factory?

TIA for your thoughts and comments.

Last edited by PJorgen; 05-27-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2010 | 06:32 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

PDK - Yes, I love it
Sport Chrono - A must with PDK, I don't have it, wish I did regardless whether or not I would use it much
Old 05-27-2010 | 06:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Here's what I would suggest, proving that you intend to keep the car for 5 years or so.

(1) PDK is a heck of a transmission, and certainly the sign of things to come. Will be fully sorted out by the time your car is produced. Of course, some of the 'fun' of sports cars can be considered lost with a PDK, but don't let that influence you entirely. Sport Chrono is important for the PDK buyers. Perhaps not so necessary for the others (but I like what it lets me do).

(2) Interiors. The 'slush finish' on today's 997s is fairly soft stuff. Highly suggest that you cover with as much leather as you can afford. Otherwise it will look old before its time. Take a hike over to a dealership with used 997s and see to what I'm referring.

(3) PCCBs. If you spend the money up front you will have minimal brake maintenance for the next 5-6 years. Easily capable of 200,000 miles or more from the wear rates that I have personally experienced. The feel is far better with the lighter unsprung weight--and yes, you can feel it.

(4) PASM is standard on the S I believe.

(5) The lightest 997 wheels were the Carrera S "lobster claws" which are probably no longer coming on the cars. May I suggest something other than a blanket thought of "lightest" and think "widest" instead. That would be the Carrera SPorts (XRR option). With 19 inch tires these days, nothing is close to being "light" so don't obsess on that.

(6) Ask your dealer how the roll bar can be installed.

(7) Sport seats vis-a-vis 5-6 point harnesses--can't help you there.

(8) Order the fire extinguisher. It's cheap and fits well.

The ride on the 997S is far more superior and you may not alienate your wife with a basic Carrera S--vice a GT3.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2010 | 07:49 PM
winkingchef
Pro

If you'll still be in the Bay Area and want my 19" lobster claws, I'd be happy to sell you mine pretty cheaply if you want the lightness for the track. I'm upgrading soon.

If you have never driven an automatic sportscar, i'd be very insistent that you test drive back to back with a manual and think very hard about it - it is a different driving experience, but not always "good different" for some.
Old 05-27-2010 | 09:02 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Obviously don't order one with a sunroof - over here anyway some racing / track activities are only allowed for non sunroof cars.
Old 05-27-2010 | 09:08 PM
Gj325
Pro

Dann
covered it about as well as anyone will. I would add PTV RS Spyder wheels if you can maybe Carbon Int for looks.
Old 05-27-2010 | 10:45 PM
jurbina
Advanced

I spent a few days with the PDK transmission in B'ham at the track and just took delivery of my C4S with PDK...absolutely a yes for either street or track. Yes to Sports Chrono if you go for PDK. Superb combo. My next car will come the TT wheel with paddles just because i don't like the "buttons".
Old 05-27-2010 | 11:00 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

You clearly missed my thread: Let me help you order that new C2S!
Old 05-28-2010 | 10:33 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I plan to order a new 997 in a few months and would like some advice and opinions. I’ve searched the forum and gotten some info but want more specifics.

First - some background; I currently own a 2002 996 C4S with 6-speed manual. It's mostly a track car with occasional daily driving use. I've added PSS10s, DAS Sport roll bar, Euro GT3 seats with 6-point harnesses. Unfortunately, I’ve modded it to the point where my wife no longer likes to ride in it and it’s not a great daily driver.

I want to order one built to my specs as opposed to buying a used one as I did with the 996. I do not intend to modify this one as I will probably drive it on the street quite a bit more than the 996. However I will continue to track it regularly so want to start with the most capable track car without moving up to the GT3.
Based on what other folks say about 997.2 - PDK is an awesome thing.

if you intend to run it on track - PDK+SportChrono is a must as it will add special PDK features otherwise not available to you.

What you also need right away is a third radiator kit - people say PDK cars get overheated on track without it.

Based from what you did to your 996 I have certain feeling car you really need is a GT3 RS. Plus keep in mind 2011 GT3 was promised to have PDK as an option. GT3 car with PDK would be a killer combo.

No one who tracks car very often uses ceramic brakes as it costs a lot to get rotors replaced. For occasional use it may be fine. Key thing here is how much 'occasional' will it become after you discover what this 997.2 'S' is actually capable of.
Old 05-28-2010 | 11:22 AM
Trader220
Race Car

My only advice as a deal is you better hurry as build slots for 2011 997.2's are filling up quickly. The rest is up to you. Full leather is nice but its about a 5 grand option. The Sport Bucket seats are nice if you're going to track the car but they can be hard to live with on a daily basis, you might opt for the sport seats in manual, the adaptive sports seats add a lot of weight for all the power activations. PDK is awesome but you MUST get the sports chrono package. Sun roof is not optional in the USA you can get any car in any color but you get a sun roof too. The PCCB brakes are awesome but again its $8k of over kill, money could be better spent elsewhere on the car.

Let me know if you cant find a build slot
Old 05-28-2010 | 11:46 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

if you dont want pdk then save a ton of money and buy a very low mile 2008. I would have gone that route but i had to have pdk so i went new
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:10 PM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

I would add full leather, PASM Sport, and locking differential
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:27 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robbonds
if you dont want pdk then save a ton of money and buy a very low mile 2008. I would have gone that route but i had to have pdk so i went new
But the 997.2 has the DFI engine with more low end torque and more HP.
Plus I've heard that the electronics are vastly improved.
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Will the sport bucket seats accommodate 5 or 6-point harnesses? It appears they have the pass-through for the shoulder belts but an unsure about the sub-straps.
The answer to your question should be obvious from the picture below.
Someone in an earlier post stated that the sport buckets are difficult to live with on a daily basis. I retrofitted them to my 996 and have them in my current car and love them even for daily driving. Do try them out for yourself, as they fit some people better than others, but if you do fit, they are comfortable even for long trips, look great IMO, and save about 50lbs over the standard power seats.

Also agree with previous posters about getting PASM sport which comes with mechanical limited slip differential. And PDK is great.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:38 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
Obviously don't order one with a sunroof - over here anyway some racing / track activities are only allowed for non sunroof cars.
Not even an option that I know of for US cars - almost all US cars including 911s have sunroofs (except for low-cost cars or mechanically not viable) - there'd be no DEs here if that were a problem. Maybe for professional use, no go, but for track/street "regular guys" it's OK.

Quick Reply: Ordering new 997, advice sought